Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 161690 times)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #1140 on: June 09, 2022, 08:55:35 AM »
This is the '37  I helped my friend on

Very nice.
I am still wrestling, as I have time, with the correct power steering pump and pulleys for my son's '76 Camaro. I hope to have it ironed out next week,  because after Father's Day I will be down the Jersey shore working our mini golf all summer.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1141 on: June 09, 2022, 01:13:29 PM »
I have been recovering the head liner board in the jeep, just fixing small things on it that needs attention, i see what Jeep stands for now, 
Just Empty Every Pocket

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1142 on: June 10, 2022, 12:54:03 AM »
Our 2014 Grand Cherokee would have gone to the crusher by now if we had not bought the lifetime warranty. Not quite 125,000 miles. Headed back in next week for more suspension work. My 2007 Silverado has over twice as many miles with hardly any problems and it hasn't been as well taken care of.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1143 on: June 10, 2022, 07:19:43 PM »
That's low miles for a jeep.  8)
Bought mine at 130 and it just turned 205.  Most things I've fixed was cause each year I would do a repair/replacement to something that I thought might be an issue for our next trip,  not cause it broke.  Like a oil leak or fuel pump.
Been very reliable,  only was on the tow truck twice close to home.
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1144 on: June 10, 2022, 08:39:06 PM »
Today I started fabricating a spare tie carrier so that I can carry a full-size spare, making to hang off the hitch and swing out of the way so that you can lift the rear hatch,

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1145 on: June 11, 2022, 12:48:42 AM »
We are going on a trip Sunday so I was mowing weeds to make a defensible space around the house incase of fire. The mower hurled a rock through the back window of my wife's Jeep.  >:( Why don't they ever hit the body? I'm headed out early in the morning hoping I can get it replaced. The nice helpful guys that do the commercials on TV are closed on weekends.  :(  There's always visqueen & duct tape. ::)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1146 on: June 11, 2022, 04:21:53 PM »
Finished up my spare tire carrier today, need to take it and get it sand blasted and then cover it in truck bed liner

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1147 on: June 26, 2022, 06:07:40 AM »
Recovered the headliner board in the ole jeep and put bed liner on the spare tire carrier, it's been hot here

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1148 on: June 26, 2022, 01:31:04 PM »
I spent 4 hours on the side of the road Friday fighting a fuel delivery problem in the '53. It started a few weeks ago when I was trying to get it ready for the Inliners International convention. It had been setting all winter and there was a leak at the fuel pump and the tank was empty. I changed a piece of rotten rubber line between the filter & pump. Then I found it was leaking from the pump. I pulled it to check it out and found a bad diaphragm. I got a new pump from O'Reilly. I thought I was done but when I got to the highway and accelerated it fell on it's face like out of gas. I was getting little of no fuel through the pump. The filter was clean. After a few minutes it started so I turned around and headed home. It did the same thing when I got on it but came back and did OK just cruising. I missed the inliner event. This week I messed with it some and thought I had it fixed until I headed for the car wash Friday to clean it up for a local show Saturday. It quit and would not restart. Luckily my wife came by and I got a ride home. I got the other pickup and tools. I gathered a used electric pump and ordered another O'Reilly pump. There was good gravity flow from the tank through the filter to the pump. I could easily blow through the line from the carb back to the pump. There is no filter in this carb, a 500cfm Edelbrock. So it can only be the pump right? I put on the electric pump and after removing a Mason bee mud & egg blockage from the outlet fitting it flowed well. It ran just fine back to the bar where I picked up a friend to help me get both trucks home. The '53 ran great back to the other truck and almost all the way home. About 1/2 mile from home it quit again and was getting no fuel to the pump! We fiddled with it a bit and then left it. Saturday mornin I was headed down to help with the show and as I passed the '53 I thought I try to start it. It fired right up so I parked the '06 and turned the '53 around. Just for fun I coasted the 3 1/2 miles almost all the way to the show about 100 yards away I fired it up and drove it into a spot. After the show I drove it all the way home with no issues and no changes in what didn't make it up the same road the day before? My current thoughts.:There is a 3/8 pipe about 3" long that come from the bottom of the tank into a shutoff valve with a 90 degree fitting. I think that pipe has over the years filled with rust flakes & crap small enough to stack in the pipe but too big to go through the valve. With just gravity they liaison enough to allow flow but under vacuum from the pump they are sucked together and restricts flow. I'll check that theory out along with the possibility of a gas cap that is not venting. I don't think that is it because I had the cap off several times during this. Right now, as with all gas tank issues, the tank is full. ::)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #1149 on: June 27, 2022, 07:53:17 AM »
sixball

Had a similar problem with my grandsons restored Farmall Cub tractor...the (vintage ;D) garbage retricted the fuel flow out of the tank above the fuel filter.  Just couldn't get enough fuel....removed the filter fitting and the garbage flowed out.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1150 on: June 27, 2022, 10:04:02 AM »
Sixball, i don't know if this would apply to your area. Around here last week it was hot, 100 to 108. Tow services were busy and dealerships were stacked up with "fuel pump" issues. I've heard many mechanics address this, vapor lock.

A Chevy dealership was actualy testing the fuel.....average of those cars tested was 20% ethanol. One mechanic said most of the cars had well under 1/2 tank of fuel left in tank, letting the heat vaporize/boil the fuel causing vapor lock. Seems around here they are sneeking in more ethanol (cheaper) for more profit🥴

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1151 on: June 27, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
Thanks guys those are good thoughts. I'll deal with the trash theory next. I am very familiar with vapor lock since my dad liked MOPAR flathead sixes. In fact the Friday evening incident may have been at least in part vapor lock. The electric pump got very hot. It was surely hot enough to vaporize alcohol. I had thought that the pump got hot because there was too little fuel in it to cool but it could have been that along with too much alcohol.  But the next morning when things were cool it started and ran fine. It did make it home from the show the next evening but it was a little cooler.

I'll have to check the content listed on the pump at the station, if that can be trusted.Western Nevada gets our gas from California.
ED, Have you seen the Cub with two engines? Another hot rodding farmer!  ::)

RoarsRods

• Stovebolt
  • 34 Chevrolet Holden Roadster, 33 Ford, 34 Ford
« Reply #1152 on: June 27, 2022, 12:14:22 PM »
Sixball, This has been more of a problem with the ethanol causing all rubber and gasket’s to get eaten away and damaged. It’s now cat and mouse dealing with the so ever changes with the gas additives.
My 33 ford 400 sbc motor also had the fuel pump diaphragm rubber get destroyed again from the ethanol gas additive.
Plus got my 33 ford 400 sbc engine got all washed out with gasoline again from the fuel pump diaphragm rubber leaking.
My 34 Chevrolet roadster 400 sbc motor I used an external fuel pump with two fuel filters.
Retired Automation Robotics CAD Engineer

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1153 on: June 27, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »
Yes. The diaphragm on my pump looked like it was eaten away. I'll try to get a picture. I looked online for a rebuild kit and saw nothing specific but like other things I'm sure there is a lot of interchange of internal parts. I did see some for use with newer fuel. The kits cost more than a new pump?

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #1154 on: June 27, 2022, 07:32:24 PM »
Cool looking tractor.  8)

Over the weekend I installed a 180 thermostat in the Dakota (special order for 4.7) .

I made a wind deflector from a snowboard for when towing to help get the air up over the trailer.
 It actually made a difference 😳.  I don't feel the pull from the trailer during wind gusts and it's also improved my gas mileage from 10 to 13.5mpg on my last trip .(with hills and wind).
My "bug line" on the front of the trailer has moved up to the trim edge,  before it was 3 rivets down.
So far im impressed.
I researched for months on aerodynamics  cause I wasn't just gonna drill holes in my shell just for nothing.
I put the angle,  to point to the trailor top edge which was 28°. I can adjust the angle up/down with wingnuts.

I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal