Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 156860 times)

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #825 on: February 10, 2021, 05:38:46 PM »
Basket cases are cheap most of the time :o

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #826 on: February 10, 2021, 08:33:25 PM »
The one thing that building my '32 has taught me is not to be afraid to tackle anything, just keep moving forward.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #827 on: March 28, 2021, 11:42:53 PM »
Today I went over to my dad's to fire up the atvs to get ready to sell and 2 have dead battery and also the throttle is stuck closed. Been sitting awhile. 
Looking in the gas tank we noticed "Salt" like debris at the bottom of the gas.   :o
Walked away for now,  till next weekend. 

On the way home.  I stopped at auto zoo and grabbed a 02 sensor socket for the truck.  Once home I noticed the check engine light turned off.

I had the upper 02 sensors changed out weeks ago and then a new code said the passenger side was bad.  Guess it decided to cooperate.

I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #828 on: March 29, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »
I've been picking away at reorganizing my shop and have moved all the big tools that will get moved. I have learned that just moving things around does not create more space.  ::)

I bought a 12000 lb Badland (Harbor Freight) winch and have prepping my 2014 Silverado for front and rear hitch mounts as well as the car trailer. These things have gotten very good reviews and for the price they are attractive. I got the winch, which mount, wireless remote, and a tree saver strap for $505. In the process I'm cleaning up some sketchy wiring added by previous owners and moving some of it to less damage prone  locations. Sometimes it's hard sorting out all of the free information on the different 4x4 sites.  :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #829 on: March 30, 2021, 08:01:40 PM »
Sometimes it's hard sorting out all of the free information on the different 4x4 sites.  :)

Yeah,  I've noticed while searching through forums on wood burning stoves all the different "debates" on wood vs propane and single vs double pipe and the whole "no elbows" thing.  Could drive ya crazy. 🥴
I can imagine the debates on winches. 
Years ago I quit jeeping with groups.
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #830 on: March 30, 2021, 11:16:06 PM »
There are two kinds of people: Those who do stuff and those who tell everybody else how to do stuff.  ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #831 on: April 02, 2021, 02:35:18 PM »
Here's a couple tops from the last few weeks.
Haven't done a camaro in a year cause the factory doesn't want to pay the labor.
They say they will only pay for 2 hrs labor but our book said 7hrs minimum.
Wonder where they get this 2hrs from ?
Is it when the robot installs it on the line already attached to the frame?
Anyway my boss said no more camaros till they pay the proper labor rate.
Even thier own mechanics won't touch em.
This one came from Idaho/private owner.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:39:23 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #832 on: April 02, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »
There are two kinds of people: Those who do stuff and those who tell everybody else how to do stuff.  ;D

Lol, I use to be in the first catagory. Now i'm in the second, (not by choice) but only when asked!  😁

Rattiac, GM only pays in house warrenty time, (or use too). All the techs use to hate getting stuck on warrenty jobs, big screw over!

Ran into that around '79 on a new Corvette with transport damage, rear quarter panel cracked. Repairable but because it was new it needed replaced. They didn't have anybody in their bodyshop that had fiberglass experience, or at any area Chevy dealers. Dad gave them an estimate to repair, Gm wouldn't approve hours or materials. We used Mitchell Collision Manuals for labor rates/ procedures, which were pretty much in line with correct times. The Dealership finally decided to pay the extra cost to get it fixed and back on the lot.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #833 on: April 04, 2021, 07:23:53 PM »
Well, I screwed up and ordered the wrong front hitch. Mine is a 2006 and I ordered one for a 2014. I can make it work but why? The right one gets the receiver and thus the winch higher with more clearance. My wife's Jeep is a 2014.  :(

I removed about 40' of heavy extra wire used by the PO for culturally based sound and lighting upgrades. That plus the synthetic winch rope will help off set some of my add ons. Poor old truck is confused and having identity issues. I think I'm going to have to do a total rewire on the aftermarket backup cam.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #834 on: April 14, 2021, 11:45:05 AM »
Just checking in. Looks like you guys are probably busy with spring "need too's". Been doing some of that myself. Got the mower serviced and up and running. It was kind of hard to start, got to thinking.....it's still got the original plugs in it from 1998🥴
Looking back at records, its got between 1,400 to 1,500 hours on it. Plugs still light grey color. Fires up quick now!😁 Starting it's 23 season, fingers crossed!

My buddy Tom was making good headway on his '58 LFC on the donor mock up chassis. Keep forgetting to take phone down for a quick pic. He has the HD 3500 front and rear axel, driveline in, power steering and new discbrake power booster installed. Then he got stuck rewireing his farm house and out buildings over head lines.

Checked on my buddy Shanes projects. He got his wifes new roller chassis in for her '27 T roadster. Then had shoulder surgery  so he'll be out for several months.

I haven't touched a car in 9 months🥴 Got back on my friend Dales '32 Dodge p.u. door. Had him weld in a patch around the lower door hinge. Somehow he warped it, hell i was kinda watching and thought he did good. So..making a bigger patch to cut out and weld in myself. He did get the chassis built and a 360/727 trans installed. Then he got side tracked pouring a floor for his workshop.

Anyway, hope all is going well with you guys.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #835 on: April 14, 2021, 12:38:51 PM »
I'm still working on setting the '06 Silverado up for winching from both ends. The last of the pieces will be here any day. It got more expensive and involved that I thought.
Also put together a temporary tank for citric acid rust treatment and soaked roadster parts. The tank turned out to be more temporary than intended but it got the job done. I emptied a big tote of motorcycle parts and will use it for rust removal over the summer.

Some of this (frame, axle, crossmember) is what I started with the blaster attachment on my pressure washer. The Citric acid did a better and less messy job, before the leaks.  ::) I still need to wire brush some spots but not much. None of this was cleaned before getting dunked. It's a great place to start, fast easy and safe.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:46:15 PM by sixball »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #836 on: April 14, 2021, 12:55:40 PM »
Too bad you don't live closer. We used to have a furniture restoration Co here, they had a large 4' x 4' x '8 foot long stainless steel caustic tank w/lid for stripping furniture.  My freind ran it last, closed and sold building. He gave tank to my neighbor, who was trying to give it away last year. If he hasn't yet, it's still in the roundtop behind my house. Nobody seems to have room for it.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #837 on: April 14, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
I think the big tote will work really well. It won't fit a frame but most of the rest will fit. It may take two shots for a rear end. Mt trunk lid will probably take two dunks but the rest of the body panels will go in. I may dip a ford flathead block and bolt some of my speed parts on just for eye candy. The citric acid won't hurt solid paint. I'm going to try some old cans and signs. During the shop cleanup a lot will find it's way in there.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #838 on: April 14, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
Sixball, those parts turned out great! I would get away with the tote, but hat tank with the frame is about where my wife would draw the line ::)
Sammons, you are right, personally, I have been spending a ton of time down Wildwood (the Jersey shore) getting the mini-golf and ice cream shop up and running, painting, upgrading, etc. Then, when I am home in Philly I have to catch up on all the stuff that has to be handled. Doesn't leave too much time for cars right now.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #839 on: April 14, 2021, 08:43:44 PM »
Sammons, getting ready to fight the weed.wildfire battle. My Kubota is the best tool I ever bought. Funny that I didn't meet the PO when I bought it 1/2 a big state away but we are now friends connected by interests in public roads, a big deal here where The Government owns most of the land and didn't make provisions for what they've away. Anyway the bucket on the Kubota makes life here possible.

Chopper my wife is so "left brain" she can't draw lines. She is great and drives by my piles of crap every day. I hauled a load off today. Looking forward to the opening of the miniature golf place at Tahoe so we can take the grandsons.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal