Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 162871 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #720 on: November 28, 2020, 08:56:21 PM »
Been avoiding the shop since I smashed my hand.
Mostly just avoiding any heavy wrenching like suspension work/breaker bar stuff.
Yesterday I fixed the bazooka heater (thermocoupler) . Much better temps. It was 30°.

Then removed the shackle relocation boxes from the jeep. These added 1" of lift that I didn't need anymore since the new leafsprings were installed.
This went amazingly smoothly.
Going shooting tomorrow. Pumpkins beware. 😉
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 08:58:17 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #721 on: November 28, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »
I put a new propane heater in my shop a couple of weeks ago. I't keeping the shop at 60 degrees on a setting below the actual #1 position. It is 2 1/2 weeks into a 100 lb propane bottle and seems to have used less than 1/2 of it. 60 is pretty comfortable if I'm moving around. I can turn it up when I'm actually there working. Much more stable heat than the wood stove.

Today I used my new Milwaukee high torque impact wrench to remove the shocks from a '49 Chevy pickup frame. I've been fussing with them for a long time and I could not budge the bolts with my longest 3/4 box end even after lots of soaking with penetrating solvents. This thing took them right out on its lowest setting. The claim is 1,600 foot pounds of "nut busting" torque and 1,100 pounds of tightening power. I'm really enjoying having these new powerful cordless tools anywhere on the place I need them with no cords, no compressor & air hoses, and no two stroke fuel mixing and starter ropes.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #722 on: November 28, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
well it looks like everyone is getting their heating systems going in theirs shops, I broke down and bought a mini split system last week. Getting things ready to install next weekend

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #723 on: November 28, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
Sixball  Mind if I ask what you bought for you shop. Ron

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #724 on: November 29, 2020, 12:48:55 AM »
Actually I bought two. The one that is hooked up is a MR Heater 30,000 BTU Blue Flame. It is wall mount of floor mount and is vent free. I got it on eBay for $210 and free shipping. I thought it was a radiant heater that is supposed to be even more efficient. So I ordered the radiant model and ir got here yesterday. It appears to be the same heater with a different burner package. I'll run the best one for the shop there and use the other one in my studio above the shop. They have a fan package for them that should make them even more efficient. I don't know if our solar power system would handle the fan or not. I think it only runs when the burner is on. I got the second one for about the same price from Northern Tool.When I get the shop reorganized I'll plumb gas lines to hook them to but for now the bottle in in the shop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Heater-30000-BTU-Vent-Free-Blue-Flame-Propane-Gas-Wall-or-Floor-Indoor-Heater/352745229452?epid=2255952629&hash=item5221410c8c:g:H-gAAOSw7pldSLDx:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!89403!US!-1

Here's the radiant at a better price than I payed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Heater-Vent-Free-Liquid-Propane-Radiant-Wall-Heater-30-000-BTU/333610172418?epid=1940635007&hash=item4dacb74002:g:JygAAOSwYfBez4~5
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:55:52 AM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #725 on: November 29, 2020, 02:07:04 AM »
Thanks Tom.. I have the same heater.. The one with the burner .. Works well enough to at least keep the shop ( 1000 sq. ft.) warm enough to work in. It was 22 here this morning.
       Don't buy the fan for it, totally worthless. I use a small fan mounted above the heater to catch the rising hot air. Ron
        Update.. I ordered the radiant to see if it works  better. At this altitude the flame type doesn't always burn well.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:51:03 AM by ChevRon »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #726 on: November 29, 2020, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm right a 6,000 ft. Some gas flames work better here than others. I like your fan idea. I may do that if I can make it only run when the heat is on.

My shop is only 576 square feet (24x24)  insulated 2x6 construction with another story above it. It has some old single glazed windows an dog door and an 8 1/2' by 12' rollup door. I have thought of painting the big door black thinking the day time heat gain might off set the night time loss but then there is summer.  :o There is an attached 24'x36/ 3 sided machine shed that may get doors someday. 12'x18" of it had a concrete floor. No hope heating that sucker.  ;D

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #727 on: November 29, 2020, 05:57:08 PM »
Went shooting today with my dad. Had a blast.
Our arsenal consisted of a 9mm, 380 handguns and two VR80 shotguns.
Started off with some 1325 velocity shells. His still had a few jams . Then we moved on to some 1400's. No problem with those.
Also had some 1500fps and law enforcement slugs .Ya definitely feel those.
Killed 17 pumpkins of various sizes.
I'd consider my shotgun broken in but my dad's may need a few more.
A great day.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:48:28 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #728 on: November 29, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
The 33 is put away for the winter so when the weather topped 50° today I decided to take the Camaro out for probably the last ride of the year with the top down.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #729 on: November 29, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
Nice ride

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #730 on: November 29, 2020, 06:42:01 PM »
Thanks!  It's fun to drive and the wife thinks it's more comfortable than the 33.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

RoarsRods

• Stovebolt
  • 34 Chevrolet Holden Roadster, 33 Ford, 34 Ford
« Reply #731 on: November 29, 2020, 08:56:47 PM »
Nice open top car! I confess this year didn’t even drive my Audi Cabriolet or my 33 Ford! Had put 500 miles on my Roadster my new beach ocean ride plus my Ford truck! I always top off all the gas tanks with high tests premium and never add any additives plus always start them up about once a month and always roll the cars a few feet so my tires don’t get a flat spot! Plus always have a battery tender on all my cars and machines! RoarsRods
Retired Automation Robotics CAD Engineer

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #732 on: November 29, 2020, 10:45:24 PM »
I just drive everything that runs year round and they'll sleep outside. Thats one reason I don't have anything nice.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #733 on: November 30, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »
All the handguns ammo has sold out before the election and now all the shotgun ammo is all sold out. Found the last box of 2-3/4" .
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #734 on: November 30, 2020, 05:57:21 PM »
 Don't worry about ammo yet. If you are on the right side should shi#! happen there will be ammo for you. Trump supporters will not riot over the results of the election. The other side still may especially if Biden denies the Left what they think they won. Both sides my prove problematic if Biden/Beto choose to take their Constitutionally protected firearms away.

Just some numbers to think about when thinking of Government confiscation of firearms. There are 1.3 million active members of the military and 800,000 reserves. 160,000 are deployed outside the US. There are between 6000,000-8000,000 police officers. Many from both groups would not take part and might actually fight against private firearms confiscation. There are 11,3000,000 deer hunters along with an excess 100,000,000 other hunters and sports shooters. Many of these are active and retired military and law enforcement. On the racial side 96% of the deer hunters are White and 3% Hispanic. A mandatory buy back is confiscation. Most of the guns turned in at buy backs is broken junk. Gun dealers use them to get rid of junk guns with no questions asked. In the 60s a friend had 5 handguns that the LA PD had officially dumped in the ocean. He bought them from a cop. ::)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal