Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 162333 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2019, 10:00:02 PM »
I put the teardrop up for sale recently and received a bunch of texts asking about it.
Over the weekend I pulled all the camping gear, washed the bedding, touched up some spots, painted the fenders and finally added the lower trim. It's looking real good.

I have a bad habit of selling things better than I owned it. 😉
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
The only thing I have going on in my life that is car related is keeping my wife and son's cars going. There are 7 cars all together and they all come to me. They need brakes, or bulbs, or oil, or fluids. Or air in the tires, check squeaky belts, streaky windshield wipers!! I wish I could charge by the hour! I have one son that has a tiny spark of interest in cars...
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2020, 12:17:54 AM »
I've been wanting to build a custom front bumper for the jeep for awhile. Something like 80's Chevy military trucks have.
So I found a police push bar that was just the right size for my wide and short grill . Got the mounts as well. Came off of a 2017 Durango highway patrol car.
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »

I have a bad habit of selling things better than I owned it. 😉

Rattiac, guilty of that myself!  I tell people that all the time, if your going to sell or trade-in your vehicle (or anything else), clean that sucker up good.
You got the teardrop looking good, it should sell quick if the markets good.
Good score on the push bar, a Police unit should be really stout. With Chry/Jeep sharing a lot of components, hopefully it will be an easy fit with only mount bracket alterations (if any?)

Stopped by my buddy Dales place yesterday, he just acquired an '01 1500 that had a blown engine. Several months ago he got a cheap Tahoe with other problems but a good 4.3 so he's good to go. His son traded off both Nova and Chevelle already.

He just told me he bought a complete '34-5 Chevy farm truck from my ex-stepmom. He already had a rough '34-5 pickup from his family farm. Wood all gone and falling into it's self. He was using cab corners for the '30 Ford roadster p.u. he started a few months ago. I cringed untill I looked at the p.u. again. So hopefully he can now build a nice Chevy p.u. out of the two when current projects are done.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2020, 01:11:39 PM »
It looks like I just need to flip the upper brackets to fit the bumper and should bolt right on. 8)
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
I got the top all roughed out on the coupe today. Sprayed the first complete coat of primer on the top.  Looking forward to the easy relaxing part of blocking.  Boy i sure miss working at the shop, this little garage SUCKS. Takes very little to cloud this room up, even with the exahst fan. Luckily it was warm enough out to open window (54).

Ok fellas, how do you deal with dust on glasses? I've never had to work with them until last year or so working (readers). I can sand or prime close to 5 mins...then they are covered. They are glass lenses, not plastic. Any help would be great!

Love the smell of Lacquer primer in the afternoon  ;D

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2020, 01:34:23 PM »
I wear goggles over my glasses if I am going to have a lot of overspray. The car is looking good....I need a project.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
yup, same with me, goggles over the glasses or spray outside, nice weather.

mike

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
Thanks. I guess i didn't word that right again. My problem is not over spray, it's the dust attraction. Like static charge type deal? I had some plastic Readers that were way worse than the glass.

Maybe  you all use the googles over glasses for the dust attraction? Think they would collect same amount of dust as glasses? 
Guess i could try a ground wire from glasses to water pipe ground. That would be fun dragging a wire around behind you to trip on. It worked on Corvettes when painting to keep static grounded. ;D

My hats off to folkes that have to wear glasses. I can't keep them on tight when i bend over to look at something, can't keep them clean, lol or pit free. If i leave them on my nose and step out in the cold and come back in they fog all up.

I guess i had better get use to it, they are only going to get worse. All them darn meds i was on for my R.A. really screwed with my vision 😡

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2020, 05:10:27 PM »
Thanks. I guess i didn't word that right again. My problem is not over spray, it's the dust attraction. Like static charge type deal? I had some plastic Readers that were way worse than the glass.

Maybe  you all use the googles over glasses for the dust attraction? Think they would collect same amount of dust as glasses? 
Guess i could try a ground wire from glasses to water pipe ground. That would be fun dragging a wire around behind you to trip on. It worked on Corvettes when painting to keep static grounded. ;D

My hats off to folkes that have to wear glasses. I can't keep them on tight when i bend over to look at something, can't keep them clean, lol or pit free. If i leave them on my nose and step out in the cold and come back in they fog all up.

I guess i had better get use to it, they are only going to get worse. All them darn meds i was on for my R.A. really screwed with my vision 😡

What I do to keep dust down is to keep a shop vac close by and vacuum the dust off, do not you your blow gun to blow the dust into the air to land on everything

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
what Did You do Today - re-cycle steeering wheel
« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2020, 05:57:36 PM »
my 35 Chevrolet touring has a 2 tone red and tan leather lecarra mark 9 steering wheel.  Been wanting to change it for a while.

I found an old GRANT 3 spoke flat wood walnut rimmed in the basement.  Wandering a swap meet I find an aluminum 9 bolt , mark 9 steering wheel cover which gives me the pattern for the center.  So after getting the center water jet cut in steel so it can be welded in , we tape it off and zip cut the grant center out.

After welding, we hit the new center with 80 grit then 120 grit to smooth it out. Powder coater will sand blast it with 80 to give even surface finish.

Next step is to take the welded up steering wheel center to the powder coater and either get it done in gloss signal red or satin.  While that's away I need to sand the real walnut wood with some 400 and then coat with epifanes varnish to seal it.  I also found a walnut wood walnut button for the wheel to match the rim, on ebay.

So doing my part to re-cycle the old auto parts the smart way.  Plus gives me something exclusive to me.

mike lynch..................HAIRBALL

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
pictures of todays project

mike lynch..........HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #147 on: January 07, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Nice work, that will be a good looking wheel.

I checked through spring hardware. After cleaning and rust removal I can see the bolts will need to be replaced as well as the bushings. I worked a little on getting the front axle apart but didn't get very far. It got another soaking.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #148 on: January 07, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
just don't want to keep purchasing things, sooner or later gonna run out of money.  Plus am able to re-cycle a part has ben sitting in basement 20 + years.

But I did also buy a lecarra 9 bolt in aluminum with real alder wood rim, that will be for the roadster.  I had never seen one before, seller was offering ebay and not getting any action so made an offer for $50 less and bingo its mine..   Get it from NY state on next trip down before end on month, barring a blizzard.

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2020, 07:53:32 PM »
It's always fun to find a great part. I've found things I'll never use but when something like the bottom half of a  supercharged Kaiser carburetor air box comes along and you have the top half, the supercharger, brackets and pulleys what do you do? ::)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:55:33 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal