Author Topic: 3729004 Flywheel  (Read 3679 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
3729004 Flywheel
« on: December 06, 2019, 10:16:44 PM »
I'm looking for a # 3729004, 14", 168 tooth, internal balance, 10.5" clutch, two piece rear main seal flywheel for my roadster project. While I was cleaning the one I planned to use I found some worrisome cracks. I don't know if they would clean up with surfacing and not sure I want to try that. Evidently no one makes a new one. I don't know if my adapter will take an 11" clutch and I really don't want or need one.I'm already adding a lot of weight with the 14" wheel. Strange that this was the only small block car flywheel from '55 to '62 and used in Vetts that they are not around any more and everyone must use a bigger clutch. What am I missing here? Any ideas?
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: 3729004 Flywheel
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 10:32:42 PM »
Sixball, unless i'm missing something, new aftermarkets availible.  Like you, I thought they were a common flywheel. I wouldn't think it should be too hard to locate a decent used and get a quick resurface. Some small heat cracking never bothered me as long as none of the cracks went out side of disk area.  Turning real high rpm... maybe not.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 01:53:53 AM »
Sammons I think all of the ones you posted use an 11" or 12" clutch. I think it was '63 that the cars went to the 153 tooth flywheel. Trucks stayed with the 168 tooth mostly and almost all used big clutches. Same with the sixes small clutches in cars with 12" wheel and big clutches in trucks with 14" wheels.
There are two cracks in mine. They both run outward from the center hole and are between 1/32" to 1/16" deep. They don't look like the little het crumbly things that would be removed by surfacing. I'll try to get it to a shop to be checked out. If there was a shop I trusted I could have a big clutch wheel drilled for the smaller pressure plate and clutch. That is some pretty fine measuring and drilling.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 04:10:36 AM »

There are two cracks in mine. They both run outward from the center hole and are between 1/32" to 1/16" deep. They don't look like the little het crumbly things that would be removed by surfacing. I'll try to get it to a shop to be checked out.

Just woke up to do my move around and unlock the body, couldn't get back to sleep. >:(    Yep, that's pretty deep and going to center is scary.

I guess most the flywheels i've had 168 tooth and most were old and 10.4" clutch. I've probably got one some where but since the move around at the shop..... I haven't a clue where. I know I gave one from my 57 to my buddy Lonnie when I put the S10 5 speed in his 32 pickup behind his 283.

I apparently have had a bunch of aftermarket/replacement 14" newer jobs in later cars. They had dual bolt patterns for 11 or 10.4" clutches. I remember I needed one for a 10.4" and all I had on hand was single pattern for 11", so took over to my friend John the machinist and he drilled it for the 10.4". Like you said, needs to be accurate and John was!

Snagged a brief thread from the Corvette Forum on the flywheel/bell thing. They dual bolt pattern flywheel pic on the right was like the ones I had.
Here is the thread link, post #3 by DZauto.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2677073-10-5-and-11-flywheels.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:13:23 AM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
Sammons, Thank you for finding that while the rest of us were sleeping. That is a wonderment of this site. That is a very concise statement of the facts. It is rare that I can say I knew all of that but it is good to see it in writing for a trusted source. I can add that the Chevy six family of the 194-292 and the 153-181 fours use the same flywheels and bell housings. I haven't run into any new dual pattern flywheels but I haven't been looking at expensive ones. I have a few of the 11" clutch wheels.

I don't know if my setup will take the big clutch and I certainly don't need it. It probably will. This is one of those "one change leads to another" deals. It starts with putting a BW T86 from a Studebaker behind a 153 Chevy four cylinder, I could have built a flat adapter and a Chevy bell housing. But no. I found a "cool" vintage aftermarket aluminum adapter that requires the use of at the cast iron Chevy power glide adapter. The power glide adapter has the old style starter mount and blocks the newer block mount starter holes. The old starter mount requires a 168 tooth flywheel. I'm sure the aluminum adapter is pre-'63 so it is very likely big enough to take an 11" clutch but I have yet to compare it to a Chevy bell housing. Since I'm already adding about 8 lbs of rotating mass by using the big flywheel I don't want to add a few more pounds of clutch and pressure plate to the mix. I certainly don't need that much clutch with a four banger in a light car. I could just make a less cool flat  adapter and use a stock Chevy bell and the 153 tooth flywheel, but that is too easy.  ::)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
Lol, sure didn't want to be up. ;D

I never thought to look into the templates after he died. John had made them for flywheel pressure plate bolt patterns. He had two that I new of for 14". They were made from 1/16" steel plate, one for 11" and the other for 10.5". It bolted to the flywheel and had the other bolt pattern holes to be drilled was 1/8"  to use center punch.

When he made a jig or template, it looked factory made.  The last one he drilled and tapped for me, he only charged $25

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »
I've widened my search and see some dual pattern ones now. Pretty pricey. I thought of bolting one flywheel to the other using the mounting holes and transferring the 10.5 hole locations. If you could put them in a lathe to true the bolted pair it might work but it would take a big lathe. I have some access to the Virginia Truckee Rail Road shop in Virginia city but the skill thing comes up.

I am always saddened when someone with those skills passes taking so much knowledge goes with them. My dad was a journeyman machinist and could literally fix or make anything out of metal. My oldest son is a mechanical engineering is obsessed with machine tools and machine work. They never met and I am a poor conduit of those skills. My dad died at 53 and I was just beginning to value him at 21.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal