Author Topic: Rear end  (Read 33198 times)

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
Re: Rear end
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
Got the airbags last night and worked on making mounts today.  Five hours later I had one mount made and tacked in place.  Good thing I'm not charging myself by the hour.  Forgot to take the camera to the shop but Ill try to get a few shots of the bags tomorrow.  Is anyone still following this thread?

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
yes I am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!    been trying to find a picture in my picture files of air bag installed on vette rear very well done.

mike lynch

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
Yup still following.  Keep up the good work!
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »
Made a little progress today.  The bag mounts are tacked together and one is mounted in place.  Have not added the gussets yet because I want to make sure things work and nothing is in the way.  Note the bags are lots smaller than I expected.  They are 4" wide and 7" long.  Range is 3.4 to 9 inches.  Because of the small volume they may give a choppy ride.  If so I can add an expansion tank for more air volume.  The bags I have on the '39 now are 6" in diameter and double convoluted.  Nice to have the room for the bags but what good is that if the ride sucks. 

Went to tighten the axle nuts today and the axles locked up.  Think I have a seal on the wrong side of the knuckle.  Anything to slow the process down. 

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »
Seems to me you are motoring right along! Looks good too.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 09:53:55 PM »
YEP.. Somebody's gotta keep an eye on you. Looking good  RON

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 11:03:03 PM »
Yes sir..following ....keep it coming

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 06:21:32 PM »
Well, got far enough along today to air load the bags and see what happens.  Lesson #1, don't rely on tack welds alone, put gussets in like should be done even with no body weight. 

Two shots, one up and the other down.  Could go about 1" higher and several inches lower but not enough weight to collapse the bags. 

What's left?  Got to figure out something for shocks.  Trying to balance the load on the knuckles so looking for a way to mount them on back. 

Have to make a limiter for up and down (bump stops).   

Still looking for OEM Corvette 17" rims for fitment under the fenders.  Sixteen inch rims would clear the calipers I THINK but there may be an upgrade to C5 brakes and I don't want to end up with two sets of rims ($$$).

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Finishing up a few loose ends.  Installed the bump stops and limiter brackets.  Put a caliper on for looks and locating the shocks.  Running out of room back there so it appears I'll have to slant the shocks forward about 35 degrees which will decrease efficiency to about 55 percent. Certainly not what I wanted and even looked into cantilever the shocks.  Too bad they don't make an updated version of the knee action shock. 

Reason I put the caliper on was to see if a 15 inch wheel would fit and it does BUT I need a ton of backspacing to tuck the wheel inside the fender well.  The OEM Corvette wheel has an offset of 56mm which brings the spokes (sawblades) out to about flush with the outside of the rim.  Would like to get hold of a 'Vette rim for test.  Getting a set of steel rims may be out because of all the backspacing I need. 

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »
http://thewheelsmith.net/

these guys might be able to help you out

still think you need to narrow the rear end to what width you need.

mike lynch

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »
Mike, can't really narrow much more than about 1" on either side due to he knuckle hitting the batwing mount.  Could narrow the bat wing itself, then narrow the half shafts but then the dog bones no longer fit so would have to narrow the frame...and so it goes.  At some point I have to draw the line.  Cost of narrowing vs a proper wheel offset/backspacing is my balancing act.  Note that the OEM 'Vette offset is such that the spokes are out next to the outer edge of the wheel. Good news is that the wheel will not show, i.e. he skirts will cover any ugly so steel or OEM makes no difference, just cost.  Now add in the tiny (did I say tiny?) rear brakes here is then next problem.  At some point I may want to add some real brakes to the rear which would require more clearance for the rims.  That's why I'm looking at 17" rims, to clear C5/C6 or Wilwood calipers.  I've checked, 15" will clear, 16" is better but an odd size so on to 17".  With each increase there is also an increase in height or a decrease in sidewall.  Geeze...I got a headache!  On to Canadian Mist to see if I can figure this out...thanks Mike, your fault!

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2019, 05:33:31 PM »
would have been easier to install a 1961--1986 jaguar rear end ,  inboard disc brakes, easy to narrow lower control arms and half shafts can be shortened properly using the right method.

Originally my friend brian had a model a 28-29 that he wanted me to install either a jag  or keep the vette that was in there .  After a lot of reading up it was determined the jaguar was the better choice.  Strong dana 44 rear center and a totally independent rear end which the earlier vets were not.

I have jaguar units in my 1935 coupe , my 1935 chev phaeton and the under construction roadster.  All are equipted with WILWOOD 4 piston discs. 

I always thought the stock vet brakes were more than adequate .

You will get the vet rear sorted out  , your a never say die guy.

mike

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 06:28:55 PM »
Times, they are a changin'.  Way back when there was only a Jag I.R.S. unit but today there are many to chose from like Camaro, GTO, Mustang, BMW, Subaru...list goes on.  The cost of coilovers for a Jag is $200 on up.  That means at least $800 for the coilovers alone.  Get them set up for a nice ride and bingo...the whole famdamly piles in.  Crawl under and adjust all four?  I'll push the button and air up the bags.  My Willys had coil overs and left me walking twice, that's why I moved on to air bags. 

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 10:31:04 PM »
if you bought a jag rear it would come with coils and shocks.  There are 3 spring weights for various jags Xke being lightest and sedans the heavyiest.  The 1/2" thick sedan coils and shocks easiest to find and not a problem.  Lot harder finding the XKE shocks and coils. 

I use the factory shocks non adjustable. Ride height is determined by snow white chassis designed slider system .  None of those other rears you mention would get anybody looking at them and cost might get prohibitive..........air bags ..........HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSS  easy way out

mike

39delux

• Stovebolt
  • Drive it!
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 06:39:28 PM »
Nothing working quite right!  Took the pesky seal out of the knuckle and now the dog bones come inside the frame by 3/8".  Going to make my own adjustable dog bones with heims joints (left and right threads).  During research I also discovered that a '93 Camaro used a 16" X 8" rim with a 6 3/4" backspacing.  Found one on line for $70 with free shipping.  Mounted it today on my mock up and, afer doing the math it's going to be damn close.  From inside fender to inside fender is 70".  Rear end mounting face to face is 63 1/2".  Allowing for metal thickness on the hub it leaves me with just about 1" rim to fender clearance on each side.  Given the tire sidewall bulge that may be to close.  I do have about 1" on the inside that I could use by narrowing each half shaft by 1".  That would bring the dog bones into the middle of the frame and more of the knuckle hardware would also have to be narrowed. 

On a side note, local guy was selling a GTO I.R.S. for $400 but it did not lend itself to narrowing.  I also saw a late model (2015 I think) Mustang I.R.S. for $600.  There was a late model Jag rear that uses struts and not a box full of coilovers for $500.  Note that all dunptrucks, semis, motorhomes etc use air bags...pissssssssssssssss!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal