General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

Headlight Bolt Spinning

(1/2) > >>

Senior31:
Okay fellas I have a small issue.  I have decided to swap out the headlights on my '35 standard, but I am having a small issue with the headlight nut.  When I built the car I purchased new stanchions (headlight bars) to mount ford headlights on the car, but now I want to run a set of Chevy truck headlights. 

When I dug up the old original headlights for the car one of the stanchions was still attached to the bucket.  Of course the acorn nut is rusted solid.  After a day or two of soaking it in PB blaster I tried to loosen the nut with no luck.  The carriage bolt is just spinning in the bucket and the head of the bolt is not accessible.  I have tried wedging a pry bar in between the bucket and stanchion and hitting it with an impact with no luck.  I am to the point now were I need to drill our the factory rivets on the bottom of the buck or cut off the acorn nut.  I wanted to check here first to see if anyone has any tricks before I start drilling and/or cutting.  If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciate it.  Thanks!

ghost28:
I have always just ground off the rivets to get theis problem done. And a nice set of nuts and bolts to put it back together, plus with the new nut and bolts it gives you a good secure point for the ground wire.

chopper526:
Wish I had a better solution, but I don't....Did you try heat?

EDNY:
Anyway to give us a picture to work with?

Senior31:
Thanks for all the replies.  I did try heating up the nut, but I couldn't get it hot enough with just MAPP gas.  I am going to go to my Dad's in a couple weeks and I will try the oxy/acletylene set he has.  He has in the past he has been able to get the nut hot enough to just pull off without damaging the stanchion.  I will give that a shot and will let you know if that works.  Otherwise, I am going to grind the rivets as Ghost recommended. 

Sorry Ed I don't have a picture right now.  It will try to get one in the next couple of days.  Thanks for all the comments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version