Author Topic: Selling your car  (Read 1961 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Selling your car
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »
I think we need a "advice" thread on selling your car (or buying).
What has worked for you ?
Ad's, auctions, good locations ???

I fully intend on selling mine once it's done and I've put some mileage on it but, I'll probably have to sell it to someone out of state. My local hotrod market is nonexistent..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:34:58 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Selling your car
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
One thing you can do is list it here with a detailed description and pictures then use our link on other sites.  No matter where you list it the chances of scammers will be there. 

For example you could list it on craigslist (or HAMB) with a brief description and pictures, then in the narrative point it back to this forum via your post link.  Right now I have the allowable attachments set at (9), the only downside (that I could change) is that to view the pictures you have to be signed in. (Once signed in I can determine their location by IP address).

Another option I could help with is having you make a one page flyer and I could load it on my server and give you the direct link for your other postings. Did that with the Glen Rarick business card link below.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

28chevyguy

• Stovebolt
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »
I'd like to ad... if you want to save a huge headache make sure you put NO EMAILs NO TEXTING .... Or you will be annoyed, I promise.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Rattiac, if you mean "How to optimize your return on the sale", there are a few. (many actually).
Dad taught me a lot when it comes to selling. List of things to do prior to putting up for sale. He always said to look at it as though you were going to buy your own car.

Clean and detail the car, inside and out. Don't forget under the hood, door jambs, trunk, all glass, glove box and under the seats. Underneath if you can get to it.

I always do an inspection to make sure no leaks that need attention (oil or other). Fix those little rattles and squeeks!  A lot of people will want a mechanic to inspect it prior, beat them to it. Then I like to do a complete sevice, oil, check all fluids etc. Clean oil and everything topped off is a major plus. Don't over look checking tire air pressure (and spare if you have one), all light bulbs interior and exterior. I had a guy get stopped for a turn signal out on a test drive.  :o  You don't need the car pulling on a test drive if you have a low tire ;)

First impressions, it is a fact! You don't want to lose a sale due to something small that you could have fixed in a few mins. I hate making excuses for crap like that. Disclose any short comings you know of before hand! Always give a bill of sale with "as is" stated and get two copies.

Think about taking partial trade ins, after looking of coarse (and clear title). Sometimes you can get a trade thats worth 4x more than you allow.

Where to sell, many ways. Best I have had was word of mouth and at car shows (or parking lot there). I've never actually sold a car thru (For Sale" ads, all I ever got was flakes or someone wanting to sell my car for me  >:(

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:40:35 AM by sammons »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
    I agree with Sammons, I don't sell a lot of cars, but when I do, I absolutely do the best detail that I can for that particular car. I don't want anyone to nit-pick my car or think that I don't care. Also being up front saves potential problems and gives you a clear conscience.
    The last two cars I have sold were cars I listed on ebay. Both were sold sight unseen, one guy came from Connecticut, the other from South Carolina. Both buyers were very pleased because I gave accurate descriptions, answered all questions honestly, and sold at a fair price.
    I tried Craigslist in the past, with no success, although the last two cars I bought were from CL.  I have also tried my front lawn and car shows, but just got a bunch of tire kickers.
    I only take cash, and will not let anyone go for a test drive unless I go with them. I always do a bill of sale, signed by buyer/seller, and usually transfer title.
    To 28chevyguy's point, texts are a pain because you can get hammered with one question after another and emails are bad because they have your private mail address.
    I also agree with Ed, Rusty Bowtie may be a great place to get started or link to when selling a car. It has website/group recognition, and if you are a member it gives you a certain legitimacy, I think.

Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
I agree with all of the above especially Sammons. I have a warning though.

My first car was a '38 Ford coupe my brother gave me when I was 14. He had a '39. I drove it through high school and it was always a work in progress, sometimes regress. When I got a '51 Woody I thought of selling the '38. By then it had a very built flathead,  real Tijuana black  tuck and roll, everything metal inside chromed (complete dash) Chrome reversed rims big and little tires, dropped axle original black paint primered where I'd done repair.......... pretty clean early 60s driver. I did Sammons detail and loved it so much I couldn't sell it. I traded it to a guy I knew for a '55 Nomad. After a week we traded back. We both missed our cars. The Nomad was not in as good of condition as the '38. It sat a while then I cleaned it up again. Couldn't sell it again. It sat and a friend who had wanted it for years came by caught me when I had just found a '40 sedan delivery and I sold him the '38 for too little, way too little. One of the saddest feelings I ever had was watching and hearing him drive away and looking at the money in my hand. He is the only high school friend I an still in regular contact with and we'd both like to find that car. So my warning is be sure you want to let it go. I know we are not kids any more but that also means we have less time to heal. ;D Neither the '51 woody or the '40 Sedan delivery ever got that close to my heart. I have bought too high and sold too low ever since. :(
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 02:36:50 PM »
It wont be for a few years. Im hoping once I get it all perfect mechanically, I'll pull the body off and get all the rust fixed also all that follows that.
Right now im just in a funk, feeling bombarded by all these projects im trying to reduce as well as the house/personal issues. Hope it passes soon.

I have a friend who sells land rover parts on eBay He keeps getting screwed cause all the buyer has to say is "it's the wrong part" then they get to keep the part and deny the payment. So he's quitting selling on there.
I thought about asking the original owner if he's interested cause he sure gives it a good look over at the shows.
At least some of you have had success in selling/buying. Some state's have larger interests in this type of stuff.
Anyways I was just giving it a thought for an idea of what to expect in the future. A good topic to talk about.
Do y'all remember the fast n loud episode where the guy paid 10grand for a rusty 30's dodge body.
I was thinking WTH.  8)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:44:28 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
GREAT i HAVE A RUSTY 20'S DODGE BODY

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal