General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

header wrap

(1/2) > >>

madmike3435:
 that header wrap woven stuff, has anybody used it.

I believe its supposed to keep the heat inside allowing the surface to be cooler.  A friend with side pipes installed found that the metal on the pipes got real hot on the exposed area causing the side covers to get hotter and the body to also get hotter.  Anybody have any experience with this stuff.

I have seen it on lots of motor cycles exhaust.

mike lynch

themoose:

--- Quote ---that header wrap woven stuff, has anybody used it.

I believe its supposed to keep the heat inside allowing the surface to be cooler.  A friend with side pipes installed found that the metal on the pipes got real hot on the exposed area causing the side covers to get hotter and the body to also get hotter.  Anybody have any experience with this stuff.

I have seen it on lots of motor cycles exhaust.

mike lynch
--- End quote ---

Read this....https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

sixball:
I wrapped the tube headers on the 270 GMC in my pickup to get rid of some under the hood heat. I ran it for several years before switching to cast headers. I didn't wrap them because I had heard how bad it is. I had no problems and the truck ran a lot better with the tube headers. I'll put them back on the next engine but I'll probably have them coated.

Rattiac:
The only thing I've heard bad about the wrap was getting it wet or salted. Needs to be changed often like a bandage.
Maybe make some shields with 2 u-bolts and some steel sheet with holes for ventilation
 (like X's) .
I passed inspections with some of the sidepipes from jc Whitney and never burned a leg, they stayed cool to the touch.

ChevRon:
  Used the wrap a couple times. Had bad luck both times. It creates enough heat to deteriorate the ceramic coating over time and then the rust sets in.  Might have been poor coating. Headers were from Sanderson and Hooker. I noticed the rust on the outside of the wrap so I pulled it off and found the tubes almost rusted thru.
  Plus I think it looks like crap to begin with and most people use it as a band aid. After a while looks even worse
  Wouldn't use it on my bath tube pipes............. Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version