Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1939 Frame build

(1/5) > >>

39delux:
Kind of doing this backward.  Car is on the road but got to thinking about others may want to build their own frame so I'll show you what I did.  Back in the old days a person was an apprentice for years before he could pick up a tool.  Fast forward to today, I purchased a welder therefor I'm a welder.  Anything that looks ugly just grind smooth!

To start I did some research on frame measurements but most of the stuff I found was incomplete, to small to read or just left off the drawing.  Got the center of each wheel well and measured the wheelbase.  Next I put the car up in the air and dropped a plumbob to the ground and made marks on the floor.  After connecting the dots I had a top view of the frame.  Next, back to the ground and measured from the ground up.  This gave me the frame profile.  I then took a roll of brown paper and drew the top view of a rail on the paper with the edge of the paper being the centerline.  Next I superimposed the side view over that same rail only in a different color.  This allowed me to adjust the kicks and bends at the same location so as to have just one compound joint.  As an example the joint just forward of the firewall bends up and in.  Once my "blueprint was done, it was off to buy the steel.  Got two sticks of 2' x 4" with a 3/16" wall.  Can't remember the exact number but somewhere about $130.  First I cut and labeled 2 of each piece, one for each side.  Started with the back because the rails are straight (from the top) so I could clamp them on the table and weld without warping.  Made both rear wheel humps this way. 

39delux:
Got the rears tacked on the table then it was time to mount them on the frame jig.  Actually the jig is two big I-beams that are set level.  Using the top of the jig (I-beams) as the floor I mounted the rear rails at the proper ride height and tacked them in place.  At this time a center line string was put in place.  No idea why, just because the pros do that! 

Is this boring?  Should I go on?

EDNY:
I was wondering if you had a chassis table...nice setup. Let's see how it goes!

ChevRon:
        I, for one, would like to see the "rest of the story."   Ron

TFoch:
Looking forward to seeing a completed chassis.  Nice start!
Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version