Author Topic: 1926 buick roadster  (Read 170988 times)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
Re: 1926 buick roadster
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
Yep. On most of the wood structured cars there was a threaded rod that was used to adjust the fit of the doors. I have used thick strapping steel tacked in place to my new steel structure after I got the door fitting, and never had an adjustment problem after.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »
Lots of great progress. I like the pictures of your doors and body bracing. I'm getting ready to tackle that with my roadster.
One of the fun things about the Disney parks are the "hidden Micky" shapes everywhere. The shape is so ingrained in our culture we automatically see it. Like you said when the other details are added it will not be so obvious.  If it really bothers you put one more small gauge low between the big oner. Vacuum?  But so what we all love Mickey. ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2014, 11:12:58 AM »
Ghost28  on my 32 roadster there is a threaded rod that runs under the deck in front of the rumble seat and behind the closet for the convertable top.  I have talked with many many 32 roadster owners and they just laughted at me  ,They said no way,not on ours  i even showed them a picture of where and NO  nowone is owing up to it  Can it be that i have one of the later built  and in some amendment they came out with this idea tonstop the rear quarters from spreading or to keep the rumble seat lid alligned. I have no other ideas.This rod washers and bolts would have to be inserted before the metal quarters would be put on the car. thanks  vette59jdwl

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
I just noticed in my doors they want to flex at bottom which lets the door panel kick out at the bottom. I read somewhere where there was a threaded rod inside the door that was used for adjusting this, it ran from top of the door to the bottom. I can see where if you put tension on it the bottom of  door  would pull it in.

Actually my 1935 Chevrolet coupe has that rod running from the front top of door to lower rear of door.  I have not played with it since 1980 when car was repainted  and I adjusted the door inwards at bottom.. My door has a TURNBUCKLE  right in the middle and the threads were left and right hand thread I believe ???  Believe the rod was 3/16" or 1/4".

Going to have to look at the adjusting areas rod tops to see what it looks like, believe a flathead flat screwdriver type ends ???

mike     8)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
Ghost28  on my 32 roadster there is a threaded rod that runs under the deck in front of the rumble seat and behind the closet for the convertable top.  I have talked with many many 32 roadster owners and they just laughted at me  ,They said no way,not on ours  i even showed them a picture of where and NO  nowone is owing up to it  Can it be that i have one of the later built  and in some amendment they came out with this idea tonstop the rear quarters from spreading or to keep the rumble seat lid alligned. I have no other ideas.This rod washers and bolts would have to be inserted before the metal quarters would be put on the car. thanks  vette59jdwl

Yes I can see that rod being used to pull the front of the quarter panels where the metal panel just ahead of the rumble seat lid locks down.  This panel is nailed to the back of the top holding wood surround. Its also nailed to a wood brace that runs across the panel that's screwed to the wood splines and the rumble seat latch is screwed to it.  I think with the threaded rod you have , somebody was trying to correct a perceived problem.  Once the holes are drilled in the wood it would be easy to bend/flex the rod to slip thru first one side then the other . That's what I think.

There is a long curved spine of wood that runs from the top holding wood section to the bottom rear of the car along the sides of the rumble seat opening.  Quarter panels are nailed to these wood pieces.

You have to find a picture of the wood frame of a 32 Chevrolet roadster to see exactly why and how they did it.  Or have a wood kit and examine all the pieces while putting it back together.  Like a jig saw puzzle only easier .

here is a picture from my shazzbott build thread.  the curved wood parts with top notch , fit along the quarter panels....parts 1 & 2 in picture, the other part in position #4 of the picture with top 1/4" wide notch has the quarter panel and the panel ahead of the rumble lid , the metal fits into this and FLOATSA.  the notches in it on the bottom goes from side to side and fits into the curved wood pieces notches and is screwed down from the top.

mike------------------ 8)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:26:53 PM by madmike3434 »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2014, 01:16:22 PM »
Re the rear end, it looks really too wide for the frame.  Is this car a fendered or non fendered hi boy style.   Would have to have really wide rear fenders.   All will be revealed when body comes together.

mike         8)[/size][/font]
[/quote] The axle is right at 58 inches wheel mount to wheel mount and the frame is narrower at the rear than most so it give the illusion of the axle being wide,  but with the body on it the fenders wont need to be wide at all. It will all come together in the end so to speak.

After going back to earlier posts in this thread I saw the body sitting on the stock frame, wow body is wide , stock frame is narrow, was not expecting that look.   That's what made the rear end look so wide.

mike        8)
[/quote]

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
The car is really coming along Ghost. When funds are low it doesn't take much to do a little fabricating. I don't think the Mickey Minnie thing is a big deal, but like Sixball said, add another gauge. Anyway, looks great!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
Oh yeah the buicks were wide and long in the seating area also, this should make it quite nice for those long rides. I alway thought the chevys were nice because they were so much bigger than the ford models, but this buick interior size is bigger than all of the others so much so that I cut 6 inches out of the frame and body. I wonder what the largest seating area was for the cars of the 20s and 30s?

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »
I have no idea but madmikes ideas about this rod sounds on track.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »
The car is really coming along Ghost. When funds are low it doesn't take much to do a little fabricating. I don't think the Mickey Minnie thing is a big deal, but like Sixball said, add another gauge. Anyway, looks great!
HMMM. Maybe a clock in between them.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »
You know that area to the right and left of the toe board in the engine bay. Well it always lets the moisture, and the hot air from the engine seep in because the only thing blocking it off is the side panels inside the car. I never closed them off before, but I fixed mine on the buick since I had the time. Probably overkill but that's OK.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2014, 10:04:15 PM »
Ghost, one of the things I think I learned from you and some of the guys
 on the HAMB is there is no such thing as overkill, especially when it comes to safety or structure.
I think a clock is a good idea, you don't see too many rods with clocks.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »
I closed that area up on my 32, had to drill some access hole in it to get to my body mounting bolts. I'm planning on making covers for them. I never thought about heat, my concern was it was an area for water and road grime.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
I used ball milled aluminum plates to close off those 2 areas on my 35 coupe.  It was my billet everything stage.

You want to fill all the firewall holes and anything where that heat generating motor is producing vast quantities of heat.  Its going to want to get where you sit.

Re clocks  in dash.   my coupe has a stem wind VDO 5" clock in the dash and it also has a 30 hour stem wind rear view mirror.  I wind and set it to the correct time,  every time I use the car.

mike     8)     just an accessory junkie

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »
Mike where did you find your rearview mirror with a clock?

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal