Author Topic: Transmission stall  (Read 8312 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Transmission stall
« on: March 03, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
I can warm my car up but when I drive it the first stop I come to, it will stall.  If I continue to drive it, the problem goes away.  Any ideas?

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Transmission stall
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
Munch I don't know squat about most GM autos. My old Camaro(TH350) had a small leak at the dipstick when parked several days and if it was cold it would stall a bit at 1st couple stops. Usually at 3/4 qt low, top off and would be fine.
One of my 727 mopars did same and it was a week pump. On them also, the pump would not circulate if in park, so cold they would stall 2-3 seconds till fluid warmed/circulated.(I don't think GM had that falt) Had my buddy drill a passage(trans go kit) in my later trans to circulate in park

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
Munch...is this the car you just installed EFI on? Which transmission do you have (is it a lock up)
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Yes it is, I was taking it out this keep happening.  It is a 200R4  not built long ago.  It stops after driving it some, but it shifts through the gears fast unless you are getting on it.  I thought it was suppose to shift at certain speeds'  I don't have the normal TV cable but a Bowler Trushift.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Yes it is, I was taking it out this keep happening.  It is a 200R4  not built long ago.  It stops after driving it some, but it shifts through the gears fast unless you are getting on it.  I thought it was suppose to shift at certain speeds'  I don't have the normal TV cable but a Bowler Trushift.

Have you seen this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTVxSS_Jxc

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:53 AM »

Not that particular one, but that is how I went about setting mine up.  The FiTech EFI is running but I have not fully tested it as the I became curious about the trans and the mufflers I put on are deafening. 

Have you seen this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLTVxSS_Jxc

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »

The Bowler system seems a little simplistic in it's description of how the system on you transmission works. I have always use Bowtie Overdrives system with excellent luck . It allows the adjustment of shift points by giving you the ability to actually adjust the geometry of the cable as it rides over it's ramp. Setting the starting point of the throttle valve travel by just using wide open throttle to set the cable doesn't take into consideration any discrepancy's that might exist internally in the valve body that might affect the valve position. I also always use a pressure gauge to set the system up. If you want to take some time and educate yourself on the system take a look at the three part explanation posted on the Bowtie Overdrive site I've posted below. Another thought...Are you using a lock up converter??

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

The Bowler system seems a little simplistic in it's description of how the system on you transmission works. I have always use Bowtie Overdrives system with excellent luck . It allows the adjustment of shift points by giving you the ability to actually adjust the geometry of the cable as it rides over it's ramp. Setting the starting point of the throttle valve travel by just using wide open throttle to set the cable doesn't take into consideration any discrepancy's that might exist internally in the valve body that might affect the valve position. I also always use a pressure gauge to set the system up. If you want to take some time and educate yourself on the system take a look at the three part explanation posted on the Bowtie Overdrive site I've posted below. Another thought...Are you using a lock up converter??

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

thanks Moose, this is very interesting.  I originally went to the Bowler setup because the Gentleman that built my transmission past away and it was not shifting properly.  I didn't understand how to set it up and found the Bowler solution when searching.  Bowler is telling me to reset it and do a WOT from the accelerator pedal and not at the linkage. If that doesn't  correct it, I am dealing with the wrong governor.

I could try and go back to the tv system and try to set. but like I said earlier I was having problems then.  Perplexed...

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:03 PM »
Is the trans using the lock-up feature?  If so, can you try disabling power to it just to check for a sticky lock up solenoid?

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
Is the trans using the lock-up feature?  If so, can you try disabling power to it just to check for a sticky lock up solenoid?

Yes Ed, it does.  What should happen when I disconnect power?

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
I read somewhere about the brake switch controlling the lockup.  I changed my brake switch in the brake line with a manual one beneath the pedal, did I mess up.  So many things and so confusing.  I'm sticking with it, no matter what.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:04:11 PM »

I found this

http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »

I found this

If you disable it the lock up solenoid won't work and the torque converter won't lock up...that's all.  It would be worth seeing if the tranny functions properly for a short time.

From what I understand with the 700R4 is that the transmission has a constant 12v power supply (with directional diode) that runs from the power source to the brake pedal switch (closed position) then into the transmission. The tranny via a hydraulic pressure switch powers the TTC solenoid - locking the torque converter.

When you apply the brakes, the pedal switch goes open circuit cutting off the TTC solenoid power which in turn unlocks the torque converter so the car won't stall when applying brakes.

If you cut the transmission power and the cars drives fine....you'll know that the problem is in the power to lock up somewhere.

BUT: we don't know for sure it's a tranny problem..but we need to start somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 07:59:33 PM by EDNY »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »

I found this

If you disable it the lock up solenoid won't work and the torque converter won't lock up...that's all.  It would be worth seeing if the tranny functions properly for a short time.

From what I understand with the 700R4 is that the transmission has a constant 12v power supply (with directional diode) that runs from the power source to the brake pedal switch (closed position) then into the transmission. The tranny via a hydraulic pressure switch powers the TTC solenoid - locking the torque converter.

When you apply the brakes, the pedal switch goes open circuit cutting off the TTC solenoid power which in turn unlocks the torque converter so the car won't stall when applying brakes.

If you cut the transmission power and the cars drives fine....you'll know that the problem is in the power to lock up somewhere.

BUT: we don't know for sure it's a tranny problem..but we need to start somewhere.
Thanks Ed, I have to do some work for my brother, but hope to be able to test it soon.  Will definitely let everyone know.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »

I found this

Ed,
Sorry it has taken so long, but I did disconnect the 12v to the trans and drove it. Same stall almost when stopping until warmed up.  It shifts so fast it bogs the motor. Don't understand how the wiring works, no connection to a brake switch.  Wired switched 12v to the left  side of the Trans to a duel prong connector, then the other side runs the right side and connects right behind the shift lever.  Look at pics.  I am way over my head and frustrated.  I can't even drive it to set up the EFI.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal