Author Topic: '46-8 Ford chop rescue  (Read 16676 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: '46-8 Ford chop rescue
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »
Here are pictures of one I saw Saturday. It could have used Sammon's eye. It underscores his approach to the rear window. The door in this one looks narrow. Maybe from the size and closeness of the quarter window, the rounded door corner, or could this have originally been a 4 door?

The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 01:21:33 PM »
Sixball I really think that removing the drip rail was a bad idea on that car. The really short qtr window, and the rounded door edge that meets it really hurts another wise nice ride. Just my opinion however.  ;)

You are on the right track, the business coupe shared the short front door length with the 4dr sedan. Ford offered two diferent coupes, Business coupe had no back seat, shorter door and top. Regular passenger coupe had a back seat, longer door and roof. Note how the pass coupe back window stands up straighter. That is what in my opinion is going to be wrong with this chop i'm on now, the long door would look much better!    Shane came up with another business coupe, which is what i'm chopping and the pic of the lavender one you posted.        pic below Business coupe 1st Pass coupe 2nd.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:58:47 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2016, 01:28:53 PM »
I've been down again, so not much work done this last week. I did get the qtr window jigsaw puzzel cut. I did the left door this morning, tacked together anyway. Set the qtr window up there, so if i feel like it this afternoon I might go do a bit more fitting and tack it in.  Here is a  quick pic before I left, should give you guys a hint of what it should look like. :)      Just in case any of you are curious as to the time... as of noon today I have 61hrs total so far on this mess. That's a one man show. Some one was telling me that they were charging 300 hrs to do these(rough out only)  :o
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:41:46 PM by sammons »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
I knew you could save that car. Nice job

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »
That really looks good. The quarter window makes a world of difference. I see the difference in the doors. When did Ford start doing that? My '38 and my brother's '39 were business coupes and used the same doors as a 4 door. Did the passenger coupe have wider doors that early? I never noticed. I had some '39-'39 2 door sedans and those doors were big.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2016, 12:55:50 PM »
Sixball I did some looking on the web, found a disscusion on the subject. Wow, talk about a bunch of rude arguing no-it-alls. Anyway the just I got weeded through was that early '37-40 short door. '38 Merc put out one that was what they called "hardtop like" shareing the side body stamping of the conv. Which had the long door. '41 up common 2-body style coupes. The difference in length was 6".

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2016, 05:48:53 PM »
Thanks for doing that. That is why I didn't know about the different door lengths. Other than a '51 Woody  I've never owned a Ford newer than '40. Well my tractor is a '60. ::)  There are few groups on the internet that treat each other like we do.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
Well front back left side done. This will be the last pic post unless it gets finished out and on the road. I won't bore yall with the right side. Probably be another 2-3weeks(as slow as I am) to get done with my part (alot of dolly hammer bump work and garnish moldings).

I had one of them "watches tv to much" guys stop in this morn(off the hiway).  First 5 mins I could tell he hadn't done anything himself. "You're going to metal finish all this and not ruin it with bondo...right"?
 ::)  "My friend never uses bondo"  ::)  I told him his friend must have customers with really deep pockets.  I told him nobody around here had that much money to spend and have a good day, I needed to get back to work. ;)

Sorry I put you fellas thru a Ford fix, but all are similar when chopping. Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. You guys are great.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
  Steve....I like it....turned out great..1/4 window looks fantastic...good job, flows with the top ..makes the chop look good

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Dang that ford flows great thanks to you. You have skills my friend, I have been taken to school again.

John

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2016, 10:05:05 PM »
WOW what a transformation looks great nice job

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:07 PM »
I'll look at every picture you take of it and I'll read every line you write about what you have done here. This group of Fords have nice round butts that are best shown of with a proper chop. You saved this one!! One of the best Chevys is a '41. I'd like to see what you would do with a '41 Coupe. Thanks for taking this on and showing us that messes can be fixed. It's only metal. ::)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »
Great lines!  You're the man!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2016, 12:41:21 PM »
Thanks guys, I sure miss doing this stuff. Wish I could turn back the clock 15yrs(I was better then)  and do it all over again. ;D

Sixball if I did a '41 Chevy coupe, this car has the lines I like. Paint it all black put some chrome trim back on, level it out and no big wheel tubs or aluminum wheels ;)!

I had to borrow a friends phone to charge my batt, (charge port taking a dump on me), so I may be out of touch for a while. Gonna have to sell something and get a new phone probably, or try and replace myself. If I'm not on here for a while, that's why. Take care guys!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
That '41 does have nice lines. The paint and painted trim items make it hard for me to look at. The chop is good.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal