Author Topic: 4 link  (Read 8467 times)

Chemong55

• Daily Driver
Re: 4 link
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 08:54:40 AM »
Munch here is the Link price higher than when I purchased in 2013 $499.00

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-Coil-Over-Rear-Suspension-Kit-Chrome,15373.html

Senior31

• Daily Driver
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 10:19:55 AM »
Here are some pics from the build.  I had to cut out the floor for the panhard bar.  This was only to get it as low as I wanted (it is on air ride).  I can get more pics if you would like.  Just let me know what you need.

Senior,

I am think that mounting the hardware first before I remove the leaf is the way to go to get everything correct.  That is if I can install the brackets just inside the leafs and be ok.

Munch, 

This is what I plan on doing on my 34.  The guy I bought it off of started restoring it in the 80's, but left the shackles and springs in the original location.  I am going to put a triangulated setup in it instead of the parallel so I don't need to cut the trunk area. 

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 11:30:47 AM »
Munch here is the Link price higher than when I purchased in 2013 $499.00

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Deluxe-Coil-Over-Rear-Suspension-Kit-Chrome,15373.html

Thanks, was it a good fit for the 30?  What spring rate did you choose?  How much fabrication did you have to do?

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:16:19 PM »
Munch. I usually buy the 250# spring weight, but I buy the QA1 coilovers from speedway, best bang for the buck on either triangulated or the standard 4 link,  I shop Ebay under 32 ford for these items because they are all the same, and I can usually find a stainless bar set  with all the brackets for around a little over $200.00 and even sometimes a little less if you scroll through the deals. You can get shipping free with the right seller. Gearhead is a good supplier on Ebay for these.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 08:21:22 PM by ghost28 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 09:45:05 PM »
I don't understand setting up the ride height. How do you figure of spring compression? It seems that if you tack the rear end in place and build to that height that when weight is on the springs it will be lower. I am going to use 1/4 elliptics leafs so it is not as easy to adjust as coil overs.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
triangulated or straight? If you have the room and your axle is sitting in the correct place, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Usually on my builds I have to start from scratch by lining the axle for ride height, square, pinion angle, and coilover placement. I then weld brackets to the axle and frame to keep it tight and then build off all this.

Ghost,

Can I mount the bar and shock bracket inside the rear end enough to clear the leaf and shock mount and weld a bar across the frame to mount the front bars to?  This would allow me to remove the leafs after and retain the setup.  Could I then do it on the lift with no support under the tires?

Chemong55

• Daily Driver
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:39 PM »
Munch I can' remember what weight of the springs, will try to dig up that info.As for the fit I am using a 68 Firebird rear end and it came together real well.I used a plumb bob to find the center of axle and marked it on the frame as I think the original spring perch are in the way.It takes a lot of measuring to get everything lined up then I just tacked everything together and re measured before final welding.I also used these from Speedway to get my ride height and shocks are on the middle hole which still gives me some adjustment.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rear-Shock-Mount,3334.html

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
Munch I can' remember what weight of the springs, will try to dig up that info.As for the fit I am using a 68 Firebird rear end and it came together real well.I used a plumb bob to find the center of axle and marked it on the frame as I think the original spring perch are in the way.It takes a lot of measuring to get everything lined up then I just tacked everything together and re measured before final welding.I also used these from Speedway to get my ride height and shocks are on the middle hole which still gives me some adjustment.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Rear-Shock-Mount,3334.html

Thank you sir, I am trying to figure out a way to install the new before removing the old leaf and keep everything setup.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 10:01:42 PM »
Ghost,

Can I mount the bar and shock bracket inside the rear end enough to clear the leaf and shock mount and weld a bar across the frame to mount the front bars to?  This would allow me to remove the leafs after and retain the setup.  Could I then do it on the lift with no support under the tires?
[/quote]

You could probably do that, It just might work if you can keep the brackets out close to the springs as far as possible, but it might move your center of gravity to far inboard and cause a little more body lean around corners than you would like. What you could do to get everything out of your way is put it up on a rack supported by the tires at first, and tack weld a few bars in strategic locations to stablize the housing location and pinion angle. then frame support the body and remove the original equipment and build the new parts  in any location you want.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:08:06 PM by ghost28 »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
Ghost,

You could probably do that, It just might work if you can keep the brackets out close to the springs as far as possible, but it might move your center of gravity to far inboard and cause a little more body lean around corners than you would like. What you could do to get everything out of your way is put it up on a rack supported by the tires at first, and tack weld a few bars in strategic locations to stablize the housing location and pinion angle. then frame support the body and remove the original equipment and build the new parts  in any location you want.

In this picture I think I can accomplish what you say by wielding a bar across the frame then wielding the rear end to it.  That can be done with it sitting on the ground.  Then take it up on the lift and replace everything.  Is that about it?
[/quote]

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 02:45:35 PM »
Ghost28  Don't forget a stabilizer bar tied to the rear and going to one side or the other or use two one on top of the rear end and one on the bottom of the rear  GOOGLE  4 link set up for street rods and also google stabilizer bars for front or rear of street rods. And don't forget to have a good day  AH   Vette59jdwl

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »
I installed a Speedway setup in my 30 after trying to use lowering blocks and playing with removing springs.I haven't driven it yet but seems to be okay has right stance now.Had to install angle iron across frame so I had something to attach coilovers too. I will attach some pictures.

Chemong55

I do not have enough room behind the axle to mount the shocks, the coil overs would rub the gas tank.  Do you have enough room for the tank?

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »
MUNCH  i don't feel that it makes much difference where you mount the shocks,you could mount them out close to the frame rails either in front of or behind the axle if something is interfering with your positioning them ,then you could make a gusset and mount them further away from the axle
  vette59jdwl

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 04:00:11 PM »
MUNCH  i don't feel that it makes much difference where you mount the shocks,you could mount them out close to the frame rails either in front of or behind the axle if something is interfering with your positioning them ,then you could make a gusset and mount them further away from the axle
  vette59jdwl

Thanks, I slowed down enough to figure that one out myself, I jump the gun too much...

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
I acquired another 4 link setup that would allow me to mount me shocks in front of the rear end, and now I have some duplicate hardware components.   The 4 link bars for instance are 30 inches instead of 24 and the shorter ones about 6 inches longer as well.  Would it make any difference which length I use.

Thanks

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal