Author Topic: Who runs a spare tire?  (Read 7154 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Who runs a spare tire?
« on: March 14, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
Just curious who all runs a spare tire.  I know space is a premium.  A lot of us run two different tire sizes, if you have a spare what size is it.  What kind of tools ( jack, etc,) do you carry.

As some of you know, mine is a coach and even more limited in space.  I did get an original rear carrier, but cannot decide what it would look like.

Ideas and pictures of your solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
Re: Who runs a spare tire?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 07:58:58 PM »
  Munch I have a dogh nut spare in my corvette it does not take up as much room as the original spare as for a jack I have an original jack for a 58/59/60 corvette.I also carry a sizzors jack as a spare and two 2x4 blocks to block the tires and a 4 way wrench with the 32 chevy roadster i have two sidemount spares take your pick vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
I don't carry a spare in my 38, all the guys I travel with they don't carry a spare either as for tools we keep every essential tool in a Mullins trailer. We have changed a rear wheel bearing on the side of the road before. There was puller, floor jack, and hand tools and most important the wheel bearing. :)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 10:22:14 PM »
I got you all beat. Full size spare, factory spot, 4 equal size tires. Star wrench and bottle jack with a bag of tools I carry in whatever vehicle im in.
What else do you expect from a lifelong jeeper. I come prepared.  ;D 8)
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »
Picked up a couple of spares from 1995 Z28 Camaros.. they are really (really) small, have the GM 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern and fit disc brake axles. GM also makes a uni-lug spare should you have mismatched patterns.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

Chemong55

• Daily Driver
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
Munch I'm just trying to find a location for the battery in my coach, not even considering a spare.I also have the original spare tire carrier and was toying with the idea mounting a original tire and rim on the carrier just not sure how it would look?

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
I don't carry a spare but I do carry some tools, duct tape, ty-raps and a few other things in case I need them.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:29:13 AM »
Thanks all for the input.  I like the idea of the spares in the fender, maybe two donuts.  I just don't have the coin to buy them even though I see them on Ebay. 

Might have to look at the rear spare option.

I fear a blow out on the road and, although I have AAA, the car sits so low it would be hard to load.   

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
FYI only..the Camaro spare is about 21" tall.  Pic in the back of my 33.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 10:18:28 AM »
FYI only..the Camaro spare is about 21" tall.  Pic in the back of my 33.
  Thanks Ed, I'm beginning to wish I had a trunk.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 01:40:36 PM »
 Out here it can be a long long way to the next town and cell phones don't work everywhere. I always carry stuff. More on long trips. Although my Pickup has a good place under the bed for a spare everything else has to be under the seat or the two small cab corner pockets. I took off the original spare holder and replaced it with the cable crane setup from an '89 GMC.

I carry a full size spare, star wrench, a small floor jack, wooden blocks, a small 12 volt compressor, a tire plug kit, and Fix-A-Flat. I cary a spare distributer, coil, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, belt,  tie wire, electrical wire, connectors, pickup tape, zip ties, a pretty complete set of tools, hand cleaner, towels, first aid kit, water, snacks, sleeping bag, TP, .45 and a clean pair of boxers.  :o

The '53 has never been towed home from an outing. Once we towed it to the bar to be closer to refreshments. I have rescued countless others who did't have something they should have. When I was a kid we made many trips between Texas and California in old cars. We broke down a lot. My dad taught me to be ready it's part of the trip. I've met some nice folks on the side of the road.  :) I've left some not nice folks on the side of the road.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:47:44 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:59:45 PM »
Like Rattiac and Sixball, when I travel. My duffel bag goes with me most of the time. Sixball's list is pretty much the same as mine, but add panty hose  :o for fan belt (yes it works!). Too many years of driving old cars (and buying, driving them home). When I travel to Cali I always threw in a complete distributor, coil, fuel pump, alternator. When I drove the '57 out I always tosed in an extra right rear axel in case I felt froggy and jumped on it too hard.  ;D

Munch I'm facing the same, no room for spare in my coupe as the fuel tank takes up all the trunk space. I am thinking about making a reciver hitch mount to hold the doughnut spare on the rear for long trips. I can just unplug it when I get to my destination.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
That hitch mount is a good idea. I'm facing a similar choice in the roadster either a gas tank or a spare. ;D I'm thinking of building to allow for a custom tank between the rails somewhere so I can fit a spare in the trunk. It has a pretty big trunk if I don't channel it. Maybe the spare between the rails accessed from the trunk and the tank behind the seat. :-\
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
Sixball that sounds about right.or  say a trailer hitch and put an upright to fit in the trailer hitch and carry the spare there instead of a bicycle carrier. anyhow Ed  my spare is like yours only my spare has more holes  a universal dough nut  lol lol   vette59jdwl

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 03:58:50 PM »
Out here it can be a long long way to the next town and cell phones don't work everywhere. I always carry stuff. More on long trips. Although my Pickup has a good place under the bed for a spare everything else has to be under the seat or the two small cab corner pockets. I took off the original spare holder and replaced it with the cable crane setup from an '89 GMC.

I carry a full size spare, star wrench, a small floor jack, wooden blocks, a small 12 volt compressor, a tire plug kit, and Fix-A-Flat. I cary a spare distributer, coil, water pump, fuel pump, fuel filter, belt,  tie wire, electrical wire, connectors, pickup tape, zip ties, a pretty complete set of tools, hand cleaner, towels, first aid kit, water, snacks, sleeping bag, TP, .45 and a clean pair of boxers.  :o

The '53 has never been towed home from an outing. Once we towed it to the bar to be closer to refreshments. I have rescued countless others who did't have something they should have. When I was a kid we made many trips between Texas and California in old cars. We broke down a lot. My dad taught me to be ready it's part of the trip. I've met some nice folks on the side of the road.  :) I've left some not nice folks on the side of the road.  ::)

Dang Sixball, you got the whole store with you...

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal