General Category > Moose's Tech Corner

Drive shafts and U-Joints

(1/2) > >>

themoose:
Drive shafts and universal joints seem like a pretty simple and basic part of an automobile but like anything else there's more to them that  first meets the eye. The attached information covers the subject in great depth and might come in handy when setting up your drive train or chasing that  annoying and elusive vibration.

Moose

chopper526:
Excellent article. I read it front to back. Here's a question I have; on my '32 the yoke seems to stick out very far from the tailshaft of the T400 transmission, so that only about a third of the yoke is engaged at rest. Does that seem right to you guys?      Jim

themoose:

--- Quote from: chopper526 on March 01, 2013, 09:16:01 AM ---Excellent article. I read it front to back. Here's a question I have; on my '32 the yoke seems to stick out very far from the tailshaft of the T400 transmission, so that only about a third of the yoke is engaged at rest. Does that seem right to you guys?      Jim

--- End quote ---

Jim
That might be a little to far out. In most applications the slip travel should be a minimum is 3/4 inch and more than 1 inch is not necessary. This is measured with the rear suspension supported on safety stands or with the rear end on the ground. Sounds like the shaft might be a little short.
Moose

EDNY:
Don't know much about the THM400 yoke length..bit have noticed a couple different lengths with the yokes on 700R4 tranny driveshafts.  Just mention this in case you need more yoke travel length...there may be longer yokes out there?

In any event would make sure you have the correct driveshaft length.

chopper526:
Thanks, I'll measure it this weekend. I think it might be 2" or more. Maybe a new driveshaft is in order.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version