Author Topic: Moose..why are these so expensive?  (Read 2845 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Moose..why are these so expensive?
« on: January 20, 2016, 11:28:57 PM »
Moose

Didn't you work for Chevy?  Why are these Viton fuel line seals so expensive? ;D  Figured I would grab a bulk pack but at about $2.50 a single seal seems a bit excessive. Been salvaging them up to this point and read somewhere that they should not be reused.  They were common on the mid  90's cars both GM & Chrysler.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/needa-parts-fuel-line-viton-o-rings-5-16-and-3-8-800-013/9110018-P?searchTerm=fuel+line+o-ring&zoneAssigned=1
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Moose..why are these so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
Ed...I don't know how they can be that expensive. I used to sell them for something like 10 cents a piece retail. Take a look on ebay ..I saw a couple of sellers who list assortment of 180 pieces for a little over 15.00
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 04:36:43 PM »
Apparently they have to be made of "viton" and Dupont owns the technology? I have a high pressure o-ring set for A/C servicing but not sure if they would hold up to gasoline.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
Ed you're right.  I looked on McMaster Carr and for the Viton o-rings the prices are up there.  Where I work we buy them at the Parker Store.  Not sure if you'd get a better deal there.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 06:47:37 PM »
Ed you're right.  I looked on McMaster Carr and for the Viton o-rings the prices are up there.  Where I work we buy them at the Parker Store.  Not sure if you'd get a better deal there.

Looks like Dupont has the market with "viton seals".  I just can't understand how one tiny o-ring can cost a minimum of $2.50.  Can locate (4) for $8 but the shipping is almost as much as the seals. 

Did locate this chart...looks like neoprene won't cut it:

http://www.mossrubber.com/pdfs/Chem_Res.pdf

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:04:10 PM »
Just printed out page 8 from that link, I'll run down to my hardware store and see if they have nylon or Teflon o-rings.  According to the chart Teflon, nylon and Viton are rated excellent for gasoline.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
Ed...What are these?

Seals

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
They might work...the ad mentions that they also have "brown FKM"?  I'll spend some time at the hardware store tomorrow...really like the idea of using nylon rings if I can locate them.  I research my green A/C o-ring selection also.

Thanks

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »
Ed, it should be one in the same...

Viton is a brand of synthetic rubber and fluoropolymer elastomer commonly used in O-rings, chemical-resistant gloves, and other molded or extruded goods. The name is a registered trademark of DuPont Performance Elastomers L.L.C..

Viton fluoroelastomers are categorized under the ASTM D1418 and ISO 1629 designation of FKM. This class of elastomers is a family comprising copolymers of hexafluoropropylene (HFP) and vinylidene fluoride (VDF or VF2), terpolymers of tetrafluoroethylene (TFE), vinylidene fluoride (VDF) and hexafluoropropylene (HFP) as well as perfluoromethylvinylether (PMVE) containing specialties. The fluorine content of the most common Viton grades varies between 66 and 70%.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »
Moose

Just worked a nylon washer to fit the GM fuel line flare....going to give this a try. Did pick up a few metric o-rings but have no idea of what they are made from.  My Harbor Freight style A/C green o-ring kit indicates they are HNBR material.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »
Ed  Try the o rings on the transmission lines on gm automatics OH and by the way do not lose the clips  they are harde to find    vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
ED  I've been following the thread here and I think I can help you. Can you tell me what the cross section of the O-rings is. I see that you are looking for 5/16 and 3/8 ID with the cross section measurement I can get you a correct number and point you to a place where you can purchase. I deal with the industrial market and have many resources to find and purchase power transmission items, hydraulics, pneumatic, fluid transfer and mechanical type items.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »
Here's a little explanation of the different materials.

Nitrile (Buna-N)

The most widely used O-Ring elastomer.  Excellent resistance to petroleum products.  Excellent compression, set, tear and abrasion resistance.  Does not have good resistance to ozone, sunlight, or weather (unless specifically compounded).   Should not be stored in direct sunlight or near motors or other electrical equipment which may generate ozone. 
 Temperature range:  - 40° to +250°F.

Fluoroelastomer [Viton® (E.I. duPont)]
 Excellent mechanical and physical properties.  Good resistance to petroleum products, low compression set, and high temperature resistance.  Wide spectrum of chemical compatibility.  Good for vacuum service and low gas permeability.  APG stocks the Type "A" Grade Fluoroelastomer.  Other grades are available ─ please inquire.

Chloroprene (Neoprene)
 Moderately resistant to petroleum products.  Good ozone and weather resistance.  Good compression set.  Excellent for sealing refrigeration fluids such as Freon®.  Temperature range:  -65° to +250°F.

Silicone
 Recommended for applications requiring a wide temperature range and good dry heat resistance.  Good weather and ozone resistance.  Limited oil resistance.  Not normally recommended for dynamic sealing applications due to relatively poor tensile and tear strength and relatively low abrasion resistance.  Temperature range:  -80° to +450°F.

Highly Saturated Nitrile (HSN, HNBR)
 Better resistance to high temperatures, superior physical properties, and improved chemical resistance over traditional nitrile compounds.  It also has better resistance to ozone, sunlight, and other atmospheric conditions.  Excellent resistance to compression set.  Green HSN is used in refrigerant R134a applications.  Temperature range:  -40° to +325°F.

Ethylene Propylene (EPR, EPDM, EPM)
 Excellent resistance to Skydrol® fluids used in commercial aircraft hydraulic systems.  Also recommended for hot water, steam, and phosphate ester type hydraulic fluids.  Resistant to some acids, alkalies, and ozone.  Not recommended for petroleum fluids or diester lubricants.  Temperature range:  -65° to +300°F.

PTFE [TFE, Teflon® (E.I. duPont)]
 White thermoplastic fluoroethylene resin offers a combination of qualities not found in any other material ─ chemical inertness, heat resistance, low friction, dialectric strength, weatherability, zero water absorption, toughness, and flexibility. Temperature range:  -65° to +500°F.

Aflas® (Asahi Glass Co., Ltd.)
 Advantageous combination of high temperature, chemical, and electrical resistance properties.  Recommended for oils and lubricants, hydraulic and brake fluids, transmission and power steering fluids, sour oil and gas (H2S), amine corrosion inhibitors, ozone, steam, acids, bases, alcohols, and a variety of other chemicals.  Temperature range:  -25° to +450°F. (+500°F short term).

Urethane (Polyurethane)
 Resistant to petroleum oils, hydrocarbon fuels, oxygen, ozone, and weathering.  Particularly recommended for hydraulic systems where high pressures, shock loads, wide metal tolerances, or abrasive contamination is anticipated.  Not recommenced for acids, ketones, and chlorinatied hydrocarbons.  Some urethanes are also sensitive to water and humidity. Temperature range:  -65° to +200°F.

Teflon® Encapsulated
 Seamless and uniform Teflon® FEP encapsulation which completely encloses a core material of either silicone or Viton® elastomer.  Matches the chemical and temperature resistance of solid PTFE O-Rings and possesses the elasticity and recovery properties of the core elastomer which are crucial in many sealing applications.

Fluorosilicone (FVMQ)
 Good low/high temperature resistance.  Excellent resistance to petroleum oils and fuels.  Used in aerospace applications for fuel systems and systems requiring resistance to diester base lubricants to +325°F.  Due to limited strength and abrasion resistance, this material is generally recommended for static applications only.  Temperature range:  -80° to +350°F (+400°F short term).

Hope this helps

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal