General Category > Moose's Tech Corner

Wood to Steel Conversion 32 Chevy Example

(1/18) > >>

EDNY:
A walk through example of replacing Chevy wood with steel.

Thanks to Rattiac for finding it.

http://www.streetrodsnclassics.com/32-chevy-sedan.html

Rattiac:
Im glad you guys liked it.  8)

Rattiac:
Lets talk about tools to complete a project like this.

Id like to get a bandsaw to create the arches in square tubing but they are huge and cost alot . Ive thought about a Harbor freight verticle/horizontal but could it cut like a bigger horizontal (as in straight on both ends)  OR maybe convert a wood unit with a metal blade if thats possible .
Anyway its a good place to start a disscusion, sharing ideas .

sammons:
Rattiac, you might cruise craigslist or similar site, local trade ad weekly,  garage sales to find a bandsaw. You can change blade from wood to metal, but you may need to reduce rpm's. We have a couple big stand ups and they both are rpm adjustible by changing belt to diffrent pulley (internal down below). The tool I use the most for this is a metal chop saw, less expensive (specially a used one) and my little 3" hand held cut off wheel (air or electric). Then the bench grinder to fine tune or notch a bit. Last an adjustable angle square.

I also use a lot of cheap 1/2" conduit for making patterns for any tough cuts/bends.
Saves on costly mistakes to expensive steel tubing.  :D

14" cut off saw $80- Air cut off wheel $50-60- angle sq $8

chopper526:
I guess I could have put a metal cutting blade on my compound miter saw, but I just used my angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, the smaller air cut-off wheel and a combination square. Almost every cut I made had to be relatively square. For the few radius cuts I needed, most of them I pie-cut the tubing, bent it to shape and filled the cuts with the MIG welder. I don't believe it is really a tough job and I would recommend it to anyone who has little or no wood left. I am no welder or fabricator, so if I can do it, anyone can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version