Author Topic: 60 Years of Small-Block: We Salute Chevy’s Iconic V-8 Engine  (Read 6619 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: 60 Years of Small-Block: We Salute Chevy’s Iconic V-8 Engine
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:03:27 AM »
I'm not a huge small block fan only 4 of my 5 rides have them. Hard to deny their history. They are way too common but there is a reason for that. I have a 283 that needs to be in something.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:03:11 AM »
I'm not a huge small block fan only 4 of my 5 rides have them. Hard to deny their history. They are way too common but there is a reason for that. I have a 283 that needs to be in something.
Not a big fan Huh ???. Only 4 of your 5
 I have had them in almost all my rides except my mopars. I didn't own any fords to completion otherwise they would probably had a small block  chevy ;D

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »
  Did you know that chevrolet made a V-8 back in 1917  that is right 1917 & 1918
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 12:07:04 PM by vette59jdwl »

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
I've always been a Chevy Small Block fan.  My friends were into Chevy Big Blocks.  I've had a 283, 327, 350 and even a 262 in a 75 Chevy Monza.  My favorite was the 350 in my 70 Nova.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »
I'll take whatever the car has in it ;D I will say the only two big block cars I have ever had are the only two cars I wish I had kept: a 1965 Satellite with a 426 wedge, and a 1970 Torino with a 429 Cobra Jet :'(
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »
Definitely my all time favorite engine. Easy to work on, parts exchange well, cheap to build. The amount of abuse these little dudes take is just amazing! I've owned a lot of different big blocks, but never had a big block chevy, dad said I would just blow it up. ;D

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:02:22 PM »
In '57 a guy in my brother's car club bought a new Chevy and totaled it within weeks. He got another one. My brother and another friend went to the wrecking yard and got the almost new 283 4BBl and put in in the friends '40 Ford tudor. They let me hang out the whole time partly because I could fit in places they couldn't. I was 12. That was my first real small block experience. That '40 was sweet.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:18:27 PM »
 One of the fastest and most surprizing car i ever had was a 65 chevy biscane 2 door post car with a 427 4 speed the bottom of the front seat was cut out so you could shift from first to second and third to forth.This car was most definetely a sleeper.As far as big blocks are conserned i believe they are boat anchors.There is nothing that will rev like a small block chev and if you lessen the stroke they will even rev faster less mass to move,and less distance to travel .eg 302 cu.in small block vette59jdwl
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:25:57 PM by vette59jdwl »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
I've owned a 283, 327,305 350 never had a big block and just a couple fords

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
I'll take whatever the car has in it ;D I will say the only two big block cars I have ever had are the only two cars I wish I had kept: a 1965 Satellite with a 426 wedge, and a 1970 Torino with a 429 Cobra Jet :'(
  AWWW Man. A 65 satellite with a 426 wedge.  chopper I wish I still had mine. dark greenish blue with black interior.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
My Satellite was dark blue with a two tone blue interior, pretty popular color scheme back then, I think. Automatic on the floor. I bought it in 1985 for $2,500. from the same friend that sold me my coupe. It was all original, straight as an arrow with about 50,000 miles on it. I sold it in 1988 for $3,300. Boy, I was a dope!!

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 06:21:17 PM »
My Satellite was dark blue with a two tone blue interior, pretty popular color scheme back then, I think. Automatic on the floor. I bought it in 1985 for $2,500. from the same friend that sold me my coupe. It was all original, straight as an arrow with about 50,000 miles on it. I sold it in 1988 for $3,300. Boy, I was a dope!!

I believe we all made some of those decisions in our lives that we regret :(

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:55 PM »
Yes, I had 5 big ones! My Satellite, my Cobra Jet, a 1968 Shelby 500KR that I passed up for 7,000, a 1958 Vette I passed up for 3,000, a 1966 Hertz Shelby I passed up for 6,000, and I'm almost ashamed to say........a 1932 Ford 5 window for 1,000.
These were all deals from 20 to 35 years ago but still great deals :-\

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
It's had to believe it's been 60 years..Not that the engine is that old but that I can remember the first model that was offered first hand. My father migrated from Canada when he was in his late teens to get away from the farm life and to join the industrial revolution that was just taking hold in earnest in the US. He was fascinated by all things mechanical and he realized that he wanted to make his living designing and building those machines. He got a job in a factory that had a good training program and if you had the right aptitude you could get trained  as a mechanical engineer while you were on the job and getting paid. He needed transportation to get back and forth to work and bought a very used 1920's Chevy. The car served him well and it seemed only natural to buy a newer and better one when he had enough money. This trend kept playing itself out over the years and as a result while growing up I assumed that Chevy must be the best car available or dad wouldn't keep buying them. Back then when a new model year came out it was a big deal and everyone would go to the local dealer to see them..It was quite an event.Even though I was just a kid  can remember when the 1955 models were being introduced and all the talk was about the new V8 engine. The whole family went to the unveiling and I can still remember the look on my fathers face..I could see that he was hooked. Dad was not known to make snap decisions and he didn't buy a V8 Chevy until the purchase of a one year old 1957 power pack 283 four barrel with duel exhaust and an automatic. I think at the him my mother accused him of having a mid life crises but whatever it was he sure had a smile on his face .After looking it over we all jumped in and went for a ride. Everything was going well until he punched it into passing gear and opened the four barrel. We had never heard of felt anything like that and I thought my mother was going to pass out...From my perspective in the back seat it was all good! That summer we all went back to Canada to visit my uncles and of coarse we took the 57. We took my uncles for a ride and dad was demonstrating who good the radio sounded and when everyone least expected it into passing gear we went. After all of the whooping and hollering subsided I can remember my uncle asking my father how the heck the radio signal could keep up with the car. I've had more small block Chev's over the years than I can count and I now have a pretty healthy 350 in my 32. For something to stick around for so long and still make its presence known is quite an accomplishment and proves that Chevy engineers definitely hit the nail on the head..What a great engine and what great memories.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal