Author Topic: GPS study tracks grizzlies as they follow hunters  (Read 3484 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
GPS study tracks grizzlies as they follow hunters
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
If you are a hunter...this may be an interesting story.

Story Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/11/24/gps-study-tracks-grizzlies-as-follow-hunters/

Eight Montana grizzly bears have been outfitted with GPS trackers in an ongoing study that could bring some unnerving news to hunters.

The study is aimed at bolstering the theory that grizzlies, which can be as stealthy as they are ferocious, stalk hunters from as close as the length of a football field in order to steal their prey. Already, data has shown at least one grizzly following oblivious elk hunters almost from the moment they left the parking lot, according to the Billings Gazette. Scientists believe the bear may have been following the humans in hopes of getting to a fallen elk before they did.

"Bears opportunistically scavenge carcasses throughout the active season and commonly usurp kills of other predators, such as cougars and, since their reintroduction in 1995, gray wolves,” stated a report last year by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team. “Remains left by hunters also provide grizzly bears with meat, and bears are attracted to areas outside of national parks when these remains become available during the fall.”

The Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team, part of the U.S. Geological Survey, started the project over the summer, by tagging the grizzlies in the Grand Teton National Park. Next, the study team asked elk hunters to voluntarily carry some 100 GPS units that track their routes.

In the most clearly detailed example, a group of hunters turned on their GPS devices moments after leaving a parking area at around 6 a.m. When scientists analyzed their movements later and contrasted them with those of a nearby grizzly, it became clear the bear was tailing them.

The bruin stayed downwind of the hunters, at one point coming within 100 yards of them as they moved around a lake. At around noon, the bear bedded down for a nap, but easily picked up the hunters’ trail again when it awoke, according to the report. Grizzly bears’ have a sense of smell seven times greater than that of a bloodhound, and 100 times that of a human by some estimates. Grizzlies also possess a Jacobson’s organ in the roof of their mouth that can detect heavier moisture-borne odors.

Scientists tracked the bear as it appeared to smell an elk carcass from 4 miles away, follow the scent and even wound up swimming across the lake to get to it, according to the report. They also observed that the bear made some evasive maneuvers, possibly to avoid an untagged grizzly competing for the same meat.

“The temporary movements away from the carcass could be indicative of this particular bear being ‘pushed off’ the carcass by a more dominant bear,” said Frank van Manen, of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Study Team based in Bozeman.

Grizzlies have been known to steal the prey of hunters and fishermen alike. Animals such as elk may travel for miles after being wounded, leaving hunters the task of tracking them even as bears may be doing the same.

So attuned to the movements of hunters are the bears that scientists believe they may even listen for the sound of gunshots, knowing that they signal a meal to be scavenged. Grizzlies are known scavengers, and officials noted there have been cases of the mighty bruins attacking hunters as they dressed elk in the field. Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks now requires successful bison hunters outside of Yellowstone National Park to move carcasses and gut piles 200 yards away from homes, roads and trails to lessen the chances of human-bear interactions, according to the Gazette.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

• Master Deluxe
Re: GPS study tracks grizzlies as they follow hunters
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:01:46 PM »
Ed  I stopped hunting several years. but this was interesting as the hunter now could become the prey.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:41:08 PM by 62131 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Ed  I stopped hunting several years. but this was interesting as the hunter now could becomes the prey.

I didn't want to start another political discussion...but this sounds like one side doing all the work and the other waiting for a free meal ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:43 PM »
You asked for it, Ed...........I'll bet most bears are liberals ::)

Second amendment......The right to arm bears!!!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
No Grizzlies yet but with California protecting Black Bears and Nevada always just a few steps behind California we are having a lot more bear incidents. There is a reason the Grizzlies have that name but Black Bears are formidable especially when they lose their natural fear. I have had them in the yard here so when I go out at night I take my hockey stick. ::)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »
You take a stick to fight off a bear, I wouldn't go outside at night without a pistol and a large one at that.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
You asked for it, Ed...........I'll bet most bears are liberals ::)

Second amendment......The right to arm bears!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:58:43 PM »
Just got back in from putting the dogs and chickens away. My hockey stick in a 12 gauge with slugs and 00 buck.  8) 

The painting above is by CM Russell and is called "When Ignorance is Bliss" (the story of my life)  ;D

There was an old California/Oregon mountain man named Joe Meek who was notorious for going into bear dens and poking them with the ram rod from his muzzle loading rifle. He would lay the rifle on the ground first and pick it up as the bear chased him out. The story goes that he did this many times to the delight of his friends until the day he forgot to set the trigger on his rifle. As he ran out with a particularly large and agitated bear in close pursuit he grabbed his rifle on the run turned, aimed, pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Before he could pull the set trigger the bear knocked the rifle from his hands so Joe pulled his pistol from his belt and it too was swatted away by the bruin. Joe grabbed his tomahawk and got in a couple of licks before it too was knocked away and the bear took him down. His friends rushed to his aid but were unable to shoot for fear of hitting the mountain man. Just when it looked like all was lost Joe crawled from under the dead bear and wiped the blade of his huge Bowie knife on his pant leg. His friends went crazy in celebration broke out a jug and toasted Joe while parsing his skill and bravery. After a long pull from the jug and while pouring some whiskey in a huge gash on his leg he said, "I thank you all for your kind words but all the same there will be no more bear huntin' for Joe Meek."  :o

Yep, bears are Democrats, they are all looking for a free lunch ::).
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
I wonder if the GPS the hunters were given were dipped in bacon grease? ???

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I wonder if the GPS the hunters were given were dipped in bacon grease? ???

Bacon grease, hockey sticks....hmmmm, Sixball, I think you have a hankering for the Great White North.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »
"There are strange things done neath the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold. The Arctic trails have their secret tails that would make you blood run cold........" Nope I'm cold enough right here. :)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOBS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANOS HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEIs
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal