Author Topic: 1919-1920 Essex Four Cylinder  (Read 23130 times)

Kiwijeff

• Master
Re: 1919-1920 Essex Four Cylinder
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Sorry, parents weren't home, and stopped at my Buddy's and asked to use his puter, and he said no! He's a little pissed at me, cause I didn't help him with his new concrete driveway. I ran a concrete gang nearly 30 years ago, and don't find concrete work very exciting anymore.
Will get em up, soon as possible.
Yes, basement had a foot of water at bottom of steps, but only the front of the Essex had water around it. Had to stand in an inch of water to get pics of stuff on shelf.
The original wire wheels on the shelf are trash, but he's kept it all.
My 28 Hudson, that will become a Speedster one day, came from same basement, Mo collected parts for that, over a 38 year period, but like the Essex, never did anything with it.
Here's where things get a little sad.
After 53 years of marriage, Mo's much loved wife passed away, and I met him not long after. I was looking at selling my Model A Truck project, so I could finance buying my 29 Hudson.
Met Mo at my wreaker Buddy's, and was showing them all a pic of the 29 I was planning on buying, when Mo pipes up saying, I've got one of those in my basement. I thought he was talking crap, but he organized at trip out for a look at it, a week or two later. I was impressed, here's two Hudson products, in a basement, in a small town, not far from my small town.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:35:38 PM by Kiwijeff »
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »
Anyway, after Mo's wife had passed, he was a little lost, and tried selling the cars to his restorer mates. They came looked at the dirty rusty remains, tried to buy one or two parts for next to nothing, and when he refused to sell, unless they took whole cars, the restorers told him it was all junk, and not worth the small amount he was asking. This made him feel even worse, years of dreaming and collecting all the right parts, and these clowns trashed him.
He told me more than once, that he just didn't want to be around anymore.
Then I say, why don't we put your 28 together, and clean it up, or what was there anyway. He asks, would you like to buy it?, I'll sell it to you for a third of what I'm asking, then take pleasure in telling the restorers, that he'd sold it to a Hot Rodder. Well, by then I was angry with these restorers too, so I agreed, but as I had the 29 by then, I couldn't afford it right there n then.
Christmas was coming, and we figured out, that 3 of his Grandchildren were customers of mine. I had no idea, but its a small place here, so he said, would I do some work for the Grandkids, for their Christmas presents, from him, and that would pay for the 28. Deal done, and I picked it up with my Buddy's work truck with a Hiab.
I figured if Mo saw 38 years of collecting dirty rusty Hudson parts being cleaned up, put together, and looking like a car, he might perk up, and after 3 months, the spark was back in his eyes, and he'd come around to check progress, saying how he'd spent 38 years collecting parts, and how I'd done in 3 months, what he'd only had time to dream about. I tell ya, it sure felt good to see his face all lit up.
Well that was a couple of years back, and while he has some health issues, he a lot happier these days.
So for the last 12 months, I keep saying, let's throw this ol Essex together, and scrub it up. He gets a little funny, and dosent say anything, not sure why, he would sell it, but doesn't seem to want to as well. I don't want it, but would do the work just for the fun of it, and watching him getting excited about it. Even tried giving him another nudge when we were looking at it on Friday, but I only got silence. I'm not giving up, and if I talk him into it, I'd post pics here, for Sixball, and everyone else interested. It may happen, may not, time will tell.
Six ball, hope you didn't mind me telling this story, but these Hudson products can get under ya skin.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2015, 12:12:38 AM »
That's a great story, thanks for sharing it. It sounds like he is better off with you as a friend. I think I'm a lot like him. I collect more parts than than I put together. So damn many pieces I don't have room to work. ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2015, 11:21:18 AM »
Nice story. I agree you guys make good friends. As far as the guys that like them original, I am sure a few of them will have some nasty words for me about my Buick. Thank God I don't run in the same circle as most of them. Keep at him Kiwijeff it will make him young to have a project.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
Thanks Ghost, I'll try that line on him about it keeping him young.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:34 PM »
He needs to be reminded that the famous Hudson and Essex race cars were not stock and even at the Pebble Beach Concourse  de Elegance there are classes for racers and hot rods. One of the things I like about my Inliners International club is the diversity. We share an interest in all kinds of inline engines no matter what they power. We all have other engines too. Some are serious restorers.
https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpics/RappinToMinden2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKfu9OiyhsjqLQ&feat=directlink 
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Don Smith

• Rookie
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
 Hi everyone I have a 1927 Essex Radiator solid brass and good shape. It would cool a 4 cyl. If interested call 219-819-4604. Don Smith, Brook Indiana 47922

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
Do you have some pictures and measurements? I'm not sure if the post '23 radiators will fit the early shells. I picked up a very nice cowl & windshield frame yesterday.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 03:46:00 AM »
Nice work with finding a cowl etc.
Sorry bout pics, I haven't forgotten, just been busy elsewhere.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2015, 11:58:45 PM »
/Users/ericholman/Desktop/Jeffs Photos/2007-03-14 15.08.31.jpg
/Users/ericholman/Desktop/Jeffs Photos/2007-03-14 15.10.54.jpg
/Users/ericholman/Desktop/Jeffs Photos/2007-03-14 15.13.12.jpg
/Users/ericholman/Desktop/Jeffs Photos/2007-03-14 15.14.59.jpg

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2015, 01:23:22 AM »
Man this thing is kicking my ass.
Had some time to sort this today, but its not working.
I'll go and sort it tomorrow hopefully.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2015, 06:51:45 AM »
Jeff we can't open the pics.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 11:56:40 AM »
Kiwifeff  Vette59jdwl  here  Jeff My computer wants to know the program that created the picture I know its a j peg,Here is what you have to do .When you have typed out your script and you wish to upload pics you have to scroll down and select picture and select from where you have it colected  then you have to click on that pic and let it upload then click on picture number two and do the same thing  no more than four pic's per entry  if you have seven or nine pics  creat another post and post four pictures per post  thanks  wayner

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:29 AM »
Thanks Wayner. I think I need to go through file and name the pics so I know what to click on. Parents have a different system, so I Gotter figure it out. Just Gotter get some time. There's quite a few pics.

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
Outer necessity, I used phone can to snap pics off computer.

Damn, this ain't nice, so I'll outline what's happened.

Ol Mo had sold his old home, where the Essex resides in basement, to his 22 yr old Grandson.
Young bloke had a great job, laying fiberoptic cable in the city.
He had payed off some fast rice burner car, a Ducati motorcycle, and installed a log burner in his home.
Mo spoke to him on a recent Thursday, and he was very happy with his self. Things were going well for him.
By Tuesday next week, not well at all. His Mom found him, hung in the basement.
No one can figure out why... :(

Well the house went back to Mo.
So Mo decided to cut the Essex up, and sell to the scrapper.
He's angry, I get it, but thought I'd try and save the Essex, so he gave me until this Wednesday to find a buyer.
I have found one, and the Essex will be saved.
I'd add more, but I knew the young bloke too, and I'm finding it hard writing this.
Some pics I took off computer.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal