Author Topic: Intro and questions  (Read 19257 times)

• Master Deluxe
Re: Intro and questions
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 05:50:19 PM »
Ron  Looks to be a good start any way you choose to go, As it has been said build it the way you want so that it makes you happy.

RCstang

• Rookie
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
Here is a little more information, that I learned today.

He moved the car out of the barn when the barn started deteriorating.  He put blocks under the front frame so the front tires are off the ground and still have air in them.  It was covered by 3 tarps/car covers.  The canvas top and wood frame fell into the car.  The canvas is torn but the frame is really close to complete.  There is some wood rot at the top.  He took the seats out of the car and stored them in a spare room of his house.  The flywheel turns so it seems that the engine isn't locked up.  The running boards need to be replaced.  There was a small amount of rust at the bottom of the driver's side door.  Everything else seems to be fine with most spots being paint chipping off.  He wants me to make an offer but I really have no idea of value.

The other two cars - The 55 Hudson is currently trapped in the barn.  It will take several hours of work to get it out of there.  It is almost complete, except that someone stole the radiator.  The other Hudson isn't a 55 as I originally thought, it's a 50 Hudson Coupe.  He says it's complete but that is difficult to tell.  The 1950 is the worst of the 3.

Before I make him an offer I want to check out the interior and the wood framing as you guys have suggested.  What is a 32 style grave shield? (madmike's post)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
Ron,
Looks like a good start from the outside.  It'll be interesting to see how the wood is.  Looks like all the parts are there.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:44 PM »
Here is a little more information, that I learned today.

He moved the car out of the barn when the barn started deteriorating.  He put blocks under the front frame so the front tires are off the ground and still have air in them.  It was covered by 3 tarps/car covers.  The canvas top and wood frame fell into the car.  The canvas is torn but the frame is really close to complete.  There is some wood rot at the top.  He took the seats out of the car and stored them in a spare room of his house.  The flywheel turns so it seems that the engine isn't locked up.  The running boards need to be replaced.  There was a small amount of rust at the bottom of the driver's side door.  Everything else seems to be fine with most spots being paint chipping off.  He wants me to make an offer but I really have no idea of value.

The other two cars - The 55 Hudson is currently trapped in the barn.  It will take several hours of work to get it out of there.  It is almost complete, except that someone stole the radiator.  The other Hudson isn't a 55 as I originally thought, it's a 50 Hudson Coupe.  He says it's complete but that is difficult to tell.  The 1950 is the worst of the 3.

Before I make him an offer I want to check out the interior and the wood framing as you guys have suggested.  What is a 32 style grave shield? (madmike's post)

I think what madmike means is gravel shield, the splash apron between the front fe.nders below the radiator shell
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:45 PM »
yes, that's what I meant by a gravel shield,  the front between the fenders ,  SPLASH APRON.

I HAVE CALLED THAT PANEL , A GRAVEL SHIELD , AT LEAST 3 TIMES ON THIS SITE......NO IDEA WHY.

MIKE LYNCH       8)   

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
It must be a CANADIAN thing  i have called it a gravel shield for 50 years

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
   Well RON as you know by now you have reached the perfect CHEVY site The guys here are awsome and there are many guys that are behind the seen  Me  I have restored a 32 chevy roadster and in the meantime came across another 32 roadster.This one is behond saving so this one is going to get the street rod treatment. On the other had its getting a newer 6 cyl engine a five speed from an S10 and a mitsibuchi rear end along with a 54 chevy truck front end. Its yours  do what makes YOU HAPPY.just dont think this is going to get done in a year or so.Some of us here have been at it for 10 years or more  Welcome aboard  from CANADA.---VETTE59JDWL

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
It must be a CANADIAN thing  i have called it a gravel shield for 50 years

I thought it was "i have called it a gravel shield for 50 years, eh ;D

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
Man. That is a nice looking coupe. I don't know what it would be worth to you , but I would be starting around $3,000.00 and let him work me around a little bit on the price. I am sure it could go for quite a bit more. I say this price because  he said make an offer and that means he is wanting you to sell it and buy it at the same time. Good luck on getting it.

RCstang

• Rookie
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »
To the gentlemen who suggested that I keep it original, I wouldn't consider that a "fuddy-duddy" response.  I think that's a legitimate option especially since it's never been hot rodded in it's 81 years of existence.  Hot rod or original these are beautiful cars.

This next part probably goes in the "tmi" (too much information) category.  My wife isn't thrilled about me looking at another old car.  Throughout our married life I've tinkered with old cars (chevy's and mustangs).  It's seems like she would be used to it by now.  A couple months ago I got rid of a 66 Fastback Mustang on ebay.  That did excite her!  The possibility that I would replace it is horrible.(in her mind)  So I'm trying to be creative and think of a way to get the car but not impose on her desire for a clean driveway.  I only have a two car garage.

He told me yesterday, while I was fixing the brakes in his daily driver, that he would rather I have the car than anyone else.  But I don't know if that affects the price.  Thanks again for the advice and listening to my story.
Ron

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »
   Ron, I too am a Mustang guy. I have had a few over the years and still own a '67 convertible I bought back in 1976. Here's my TMI: I might be one of those rare guys who has a wife who humors me when it comes to cars. As long as I take care of business around the house she doesn't care what I do as far as the car thing goes.
   Early on when we were dating I invited her over to my apartment and asked her to bring a hair blowdryer. She asked why? I told her I needed her to help me reupholster seats for a Corvette I owned, and needed the blowdryer to soften the vinyl. Cool date, huh?
   Anyway, in the 22 years we have been married about a dozen cars have come and gone, why does she put up with me? ::)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
There are more old wives than there are old Chevys. You may have to make a choice. ;)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 04:40:20 PM »
To the gentlemen who suggested that I keep it original, I wouldn't consider that a "fuddy-duddy" response.  I think that's a legitimate option especially since it's never been hot rodded in it's 81 years of existence.  Hot rod or original these are beautiful cars.

This next part probably goes in the "tmi" (too much information) category.  My wife isn't thrilled about me looking at another old car.  Throughout our married life I've tinkered with old cars (chevy's and mustangs).  It's seems like she would be used to it by now.  A couple months ago I got rid of a 66 Fastback Mustang on ebay.  That did excite her!  The possibility that I would replace it is horrible.(in her mind)  So I'm trying to be creative and think of a way to get the car but not impose on her desire for a clean driveway.  I only have a two car garage.

He told me yesterday, while I was fixing the brakes in his daily driver, that he would rather I have the car than anyone else.  But I don't know if that affects the price.  Thanks again for the advice and listening to my story.
Ron

TRY PUTTING THE CAR WORK ON HOLD AND CONCENTRATE ON HANGING AROUND REAL CLOSE TO HER , WHILE COOKING AND READING .  ESPECIALLY TV TIME AND CONTINUALLY TALK TO HER.    PRETTY SOON SHE WILL WISH YOU "WERE OUT IN THE GARAGE ".

MIKE     :-*

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
That's funny Mike, lol. About a week and a half, she maybe suggesting you go help your friends next weekend. Worked for dad anyway.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:05:37 PM by sammons »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 08:49:14 AM »
I just pace by the garage door and finally she just says "Oh go ahead, already!"

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal