Author Topic: Intro and questions  (Read 19262 times)

RCstang

• Rookie
Intro and questions
« on: October 19, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »
This is my first time on this site so please excuse any questions that seem less informed.  I have a friend of our family who wants me to sell 3 cars for him, he's about 80 and not net savvy.  He has a 55 Hudson Hornet Coupe and a 55 Hudson Hornet Hollywood and a 33 Chevrolet coupe.  All 3 cars have been in a barn for over 20 years and this week I'm supposed to help him move, clean and start the selling process.  I'm not interested in the 2 Hudsons but I'd like to work a deal that involves me buying the 33 chevy.

The last time I saw the 33 it was restored to original and drivable.  Very nice vehicle.  But that's been a long time ago so I'm not sure what to expect.  I'd like to see it converted to a street rod with a small block chevy, since the engine is probably locked up anyway.  What advice can you guys give me regarding what to look for?  What to avoid?  What is a good frame for the conversion to street rod?  etc, etc.  Please feel free to share as many details or links as possible.

Hopefully I can get some pictures tomorrow or Tuesday.
Thanks,
Ron

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Intro and questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
Hi Ron,
Welcome to the forum!  I hope you get the 33 Chevy and if you do this is a great site to get the info you need to help you get it done.  I have a 33 Chevy Cabriolet and I used the original frame.  I boxed it and and added Posie's leaf spring rear suspension and a TCI front coil over suspension.  It works great with the 350/290 hp Chevy small block I have in it.
The biggest thing to look at is the condition of the wood.  The structure that holds the body together and on the chassis is all wood.  If this is in poor condition then it has to be replaced with wood or metal.  This is the part that took me the longest as all of my wood needed to be replaced.  If you get pictures I'd love to see them.  If you have any questions you can post them or PM me.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »
Hello Ron

Welcome to the rusty bowtie, You find there is a lot great guys here willing to help in any way they can. I read your post and hope it all works out for you. As Tom stated you need to pay attention to the wood in the car as if it's in bad shape it will have to be replaced with wood or steel. I have a 32 coach that I've been working on for a couple years now. I used the original frame, replaced the front and rear suspension and all the wood with steel. Good Luck.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
re the 1933 Chevrolet...........this year there were 2 distinct models offered..........they produced the STANDARD SERIES which has a 107 inch wheelbase and it only came in a 3 window coupe and a 2 door sedan, its a rare car model as not a lot were made.

The other is the master series of which they made a lot of body styles.....coupes.......3 & 5 window, roadster, convertible ( cabriolet ), touring, 2 door and 4 door sedans.  The wheelbase is 110" I believe.

There should be a stamped aluminum plate of the passenger firewall, engine side, that will tell us exactly what you found.

If the car was restored at one time, then most likely the wood is in good condition.

To get the right price range a professional car appraiser should be called in for all 3 cars.  I would see if there is an online club to get an idea of what those hudsons are worth.  Try doing a search on ebay to get an idea.

mike lynch------------ 8)..........SHAZZBOTT

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
RC, welcome to the site. Hope you get the '33.  As far as a time line to covert, I suppose that it would depend on your skill set, access to the right tools, and time available to work on it. However much time you think, it will be more ;D, always does. But if your wood is good, your way ahead of most. That is where the real time piles up.

Good luck to you. Looking forward to some pics !!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
Ron

Welcome to the most mature car site on the Internet.  If that old Chevy is original but not running...don't feel obligated to hotrod it.  I rodded my 33 Chevy because it was started as a street rod when I picked it up and was way beyond restoration.

That said..I wouldn't mind having an original car either. My first 30's Chevy was a 37 coupe, it was original and complete..just needed the interior redone. Didn't have it in me to hot rod it so I sold it and bought the 33.

The neat thing about this site is that you won't get threats if you decide to rod it :)  You have options..i.e. restro-rod etc...but just owning a vintage Chevy -even if not running..is a real good thing!

Sure would like to see pictures of the Hudson's also.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

RCstang

• Rookie
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:51:14 AM »
Thank you for the advice and intros.

When I was a kid (now in my 40's) I rode in these cars.  He would bring them over and I was in awe.  I'd never seen anything like them in person.  As a kid I told him that I wanted the 33...some things never change.  :)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »

When I was a kid (now in my 40's) I rode in these cars.  He would bring them over and I was in awe.  I'd never seen anything like them in person.  As a kid I told him that I wanted the 33...some things never change.  :)

As a youth I lived in Buffalo, NY and remember riding in the 1940's era cars all plastered with political sign each election cycle.

The folks would even paint their old car with brushes and house paint with candidates names...politics were taken serious.

Obviously before the Internet and negative TV commercials.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:33 AM »

I always liked the 33 Chevrolet for its particular style.....its the transition year, still has the gravel shield in front,  that makes it relate to prior years.  I always liked the 3 door hood which was also a carryover from the 32 styling. The car started the swoopier look with skirted fenders and windshield slightly angled.  It has a longer wheelbase to make it ride nicer, even stock.

If you get the car post pictures of it on here, to this thread, VERY EASY TO DO !

mike lynch............... 8)....shazzbott and old black 35 chevrolets

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
Hello Ron, I'll be the fuddy duddy. If the 33 was put away with any care at all there is no reason to expect any serious problems with the mechanical side. If it is a complete restored car I'd have a problem cutting it up. If I did rod it I'd put a hot Chevy or GMC inline six in it. My old '53 pickup is going 90 at 3,000 rpm and will cruse at 70-80 all day. It sounds great and is a little different when you raise the hood. But like all the guys here say it's yours and we'd be glad to help you if we can. Also remember that the parts you take off are not useless junk. :)   Tom
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
Welcome aboard RCStang! I love hot rods! Especially coupes, sedans, roadsters and door slammers: chopped, channeled, highboy, slammed, fenderless, runningboards, suicide, you name it! But I am kinda with Sixball on this car you may purchase. It would be a little tough for me to cut up an original in decent shape.
   Anyway, that being said, if you get the car and decide to tear it apart, good luck, it's your car!! You will get a ton of help here.
The thing to look for, as the other guys said is the wood. If you have good wood (heehee) that's  great. On mine, I had virtually no wood left. The original frame should work good for you. I boxed the original frame and used square metal tubing in place of wood.
No matter what, having a welder would probably be a big plus. ;D
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

RCstang

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »
Ok here are the pics

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
by the FISHER BODY TAG, style # 33-567 , what you have is a 1933 Chevrolet MASTER SERIES CA , 5 window non rumble seat coupe.

They made a lot of 33 chev master series.......all the sheet metal is 1933 only.  I call the 33 the transition era car......has 32 style grave shield , hood have doors, and the rest is 33 more swoopy design...fenders have skirts in them front and back.

Other than the canvas in the roof top being gone, doesn't appear to be a bad car.  Love the paint scheme, very pleasing to the eye.  It appears to be complete but doesn't show any optional items, like bumper guards, rad ornament, luggage rack.

Looks like it has rust problems on bottom area of door and the quarter panel.  Probably from water trapped behind the wood ?

mike lynch       8)   shazzbott and old black 35 chevys

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
Ron
The 33 looks to have nice sheet metal so that's a big plus. One thing that concerns me is that the canvas top seems to be missing which was the downfall of many old Chevy's. Water would find its way into the body through the exposed top and soak into the wood and over time the body frame would start to deteriorate and rot. I was lucky with my wood and only had to replace a few pieces so I opted to stay with all wood. As the others have said the decision of going stock or rod is totally up to you. How would you get the most enjoyment from the car. To me it doesn't make sense to build a car a certain way because it seems like the right thing to do and  then not really enjoy it fully because it's really not what you wanted ....Take of from someone who's been there. What ever you decide to do everyone on the Rusty Bowtie will be happy to help in any way we can...That's what makes our site so great.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
I like it, Ron. No matter what you choose you will have fun, I am sure. I don't think I would have any regrets turning that car into a hotrod. Buy it for a fair price and let's gooooooooo...........!!!
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal