Author Topic: Next Project  (Read 6507 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Next Project
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:01:56 PM »
I want to install a 4 link to replace the leafs on my 1930, don't know where to start.There are many available from RideTech, SpeedWay, etc., but I don't know what to look for.  Triangle or parallel, air or coil over?

Any help would be appreciated.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Next Project
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
I am planning to use a modified triangulated 4 link on my roadster. The bottom links will be 1/4 elliptic leaf springs. Some say this can not work because without shackles the rear end moves around and it also puts too much stress on the spring ends and they break. All of that must be true but it also depends on how much the spring travels. A guy on the HAMB has been running this set up for several months and thousands of miles with no problems.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-malcolm-model-a-roadster-build-updated-01-23-11.543427/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/malcolm-model-a-roadster-build.567286/
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »
Munch I usually buy all my triangulated suspension parts from Gearhead industries in Iowa. What I do is go to ebay and type in 32 ford suspension. They usually have a number of setups listed for around $250.00 for the stainless ones which I think are a stronger set. Speedway will have pretty much the same set, but for $400.00 the gearhead unit is a better deal at a better price, and you get stainless tubes. I did shop around on 32 ford ebay and got mine for $235.00 No shipping cost. With triangulated you don't need a panhard bar to stabalize. My shocks are the QA1 brand from speedway with 250 lb springs which would be right weight for you 30 and I also get the thrust bearing kit for easier adjustment of the shocks.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 09:17:49 PM by ghost28 »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
I am planning to use a modified triangulated 4 link on my roadster. The bottom links will be 1/4 elliptic leaf springs. Some say this can not work because without shackles the rear end moves around and it also puts too much stress on the spring ends and they break. All of that must be true but it also depends on how much the spring travels. A guy on the HAMB has been running this set up for several months and thousands of miles with no problems.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-malcolm-model-a-roadster-build-updated-01-23-11.543427/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/malcolm-model-a-roadster-build.567286/
I would think it would work if the leafs were paralel to the upper triangle and you had some kind of swivel on the leaf end on the housing for the leafs to set in solid, not a shackle set up it should flow together great.

munch

• Master Deluxe

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Ghost,

Is it Gearhead Industries or Enterprises?  I found Gearhead Enterprises, but get a bad rap on the net and the BBB.  Claims inferior parts made overseas. service, etc.

Senior31

• Daily Driver
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »
munch,

I put RideTech's parallel 4 link with Shockwaves under my 35 Standard Sedan.  The setup and install was easy, but I did have to raise a section of the floor under the rear seat for the panhard bar.  I only had to do this so I could drop the car.  I would recommend any of RideTech's products, but they are a little pricey.  I have always gone with the old saying "you get what you pay for".  Plus their tech support is really good.  Whichever company you decide to go with I would recommend using the triangulated setup.  It is much easier to use without modifying the floor.  I am planning to use a triangulated setup in my 34 3 window.  As far as air versus coil over.  I would say go with coil over if you don't plan on raising and lowering the car.  I have done both ways and it is a preference call.  You can get air to ride just as good as coil overs, but it does take some tuning.  Just my two cents.  Good luck on the project.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
Ghost,

Is it Gearhead Industries or Enterprises?  I found Gearhead Enterprises, but get a bad rap on the net and the BBB.  Claims inferior parts made overseas. service, etc.
That's the one enterprises. I have heard about the bad rap towards them especially on the hamb, and that's probably how they got the bad BBB, but I have used there triangulated parts  and there under the floorboard brake and booster set on 4 different hot rod with no problem.  as for china made aren't they all anymore. The one you found on ebay is the standard 4 link not the triangulated. Make sure it says triangulated in there adds. The coil overs I buy can be adjusted for ride height  in two ways.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:38:20 PM by ghost28 »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I got my triangulated parts from gear head yesterday. It all cam in one very nice sturdy box with double wrapping on all the stainless links, and it came a day earlier than I was told. I am still happy with them.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 08:39:01 AM »

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:44:39 AM »
Wow....Looks like great quality stuff!
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Looks good.  I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-FORD-HEAVY-DUTY-STAINLESS-32-SS-TRIANGULATED-REAR-4-LINK-FOUR-BAR-KIT-/350716872111?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51a85ac5af&vxp=mtr

Do you think it will adapt to my 30 Coach all right?
That's the same set as mine, but about $100.00 more. It will adapt easily enough You will have to run a upper cross bar for the coil overs to mount to. I have put them on a 28, 27, chevy and my son/n/laws hemi powered hot rod that runs in the 11s. If you are on ebay under 32 ford rear suspension parts, just scroll down a few pages and the same set will show up for a much better price. I tried to copy the link for the one I got, but I was not getting it for some reason.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:10 PM »
Thyanks

PBRmeASAP

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
A big question to ask is what are you making for power, and what you plan on doing with the car?  Low HP and simple driving the above kits will work.
I had a kit like the ebay one above, but twisted it up with a stock 401 buick motor.  Luckly I wasn't going fast when the bars let loose.
A little more money, but if you plan on putting some power in front, ya might want something stronger.  Buddy recommended this for my truck
http://thorbros.com/4-link-kits/parallel-4-link-kit
I was blown away at the quality....not cheap speedway stuff or the questionable stuff on ebay, that no one is there to help if you have a question on instalation, plus you have to make due with what they offer for bar size...
I had my little 31 chevy pickup with a really short bed so bars made to my size really helped.
I've lost the pics of the install, but there are some places to skimp and some places to send a little extra

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal