Author Topic: Windshield Question  (Read 8319 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Windshield Question
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »
Well it is New Year's Eve and what am I doing, thinking about future projects.  Sorry for all the questions, but the mind never stops.

In my 1930 Coach the windshield is fixed and I am thinking they were originally on a regulator where it could be raised or lowered.  Being fixed is fine with me, but I have to replace the windshield at some point because of a crack and want to reinstall the new one correctly.  Currently there is a bottom rubber channel and two side rubber channels. The top of the windshield is just pressed into the body metal with adhesive.  When I try to locate rubber installation kit, all I find is for a roll up windshield.  I don't think that is the same.

Has anyone had any experience with mounting a stationary windshield in a 1930?

Thanks

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: Windshield Question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
Well it is New Year's Eve and what am I doing, thinking about future projects.  Sorry for all the questions, but the mind never stops.

In my 1930 Coach the windshield is fixed and I am thinking they were originally on a regulator where it could be raised or lowered.  Being fixed is fine with me, but I have to replace the windshield at some point because of a crack and want to reinstall the new one correctly.  Currently there is a bottom rubber channel and two side rubber channels. The top of the windshield is just pressed into the body metal with adhesive.  When I try to locate rubber installation kit, all I find is for a roll up windshield.  I don't think that is the same.

Thanks

My friend Frank has a 1931 olds and the windshield rolls up and down with a scissors type mechanism I believe. They do not move a whole lot as the windshield goes up a couple of inches to open to let air thru.

I would think that STEELE rubber products in NC has the complete set of rubbers involving side pieces and a bottom piece the glass would sit into and not allow water by.  I would assume the top has a metal frame that the glass sits into and is held in place with " glass setting tape" available in a multitude of thicknesses. Its available on ebay.

I would talk to frank about his 31 olds but he is currently on his way to florida for rest of winter.

mike lynch    8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »

Thanks

My friend Frank has a 1931 olds and the windshield rolls up and down with a scissors type mechanism I believe. They do not move a whole lot as the windshield goes up a couple of inches to open to let air thru.

I would think that STEELE rubber products in NC has the complete set of rubbers involving side pieces and a bottom piece the glass would sit into and not allow water by.  I would assume the top has a metal frame that the glass sits into and is held in place with " glass setting tape" available in a multitude of thicknesses. Its available on ebay.

I would talk to frank about his 31 olds but he is currently on his way to florida for rest of winter.

mike lynch    8)
   Thanks Mike

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 01:11:08 PM »
Take a look at the Filling Station...They have everything for a 32 and they probably have what you need for a 30 to get it mounted.
Click Here The Filling Station
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:21:02 PM »
Take a look at the Filling Station...They have everything for a 32 and they probably have what you need for a 30 to get it mounted.
Click Here The Filling Station

Thanks Moose, Happy New Year

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »

Thanks

To answer the second part of your question about turning the windshield into a fixed non opening.
A friend of mine took 18--20 gauge L shaped metal and pop riveted it to the metal body.  Not sure if he caulked the L bracket too the body, was around 1980.  Then took black adhesive they use in mounting newer style windshields and affixed it too the L.  Then pushed the glass into it to set it against the setup.  The same windshield is still in it.

Personally I would want an airflow thru the car with a cowl vent or side vent windows or riser style windshield.

mike lynch.................. 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »

Thanks

mike lynch    8)

Mike,

I located a piece of rubber windshield for 1/4 glass that fits the bottom channel very well and have in my mind how to fabricate the top and sides to hold the glass in.  If I put a strip of this glass setting tape on the sides and top between the glass and metal, is that all I will need to made the seal?

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 03:46:02 PM »
I am not sure what the cost of the STEELE PRODUCTS rubber set is, I cannot imagine its not very much money ???

You get the correct sides and bottom.     Its important with our cars with all this wood inside that water be kept outside.

You want the windshield to function easily , up and down , as it was intended.  I think if you look closely at the metal part that holds the glass in, that whats pinched in between the metal with glass is Glass SETTING TAPE.

If your metal glass holder also has a thin metal flap on one side, I would think that a thin L shaped rubber piece also from STEELE would be the seal to keep the water out at the top.

Your car has a factory metal visor thats protecting the upper area that the glass assembly rises up into. Its actually a really neat system that works.

Having a cowl vent, yours doesn't , allows cool air into car,.  The roll up the 2" ?? windshield works the same way and is very efficient.  I would not turn that into a fixed windshield.........but its your car , build it as you please.

mike.................. 8)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »
dug out my steel rubber products of Denver NC printed catalogue.......1-800-544-8665 
 www.steelerubber.com
under section windshield weather strip , for 1926--1931 SEAL set,  part # 70-0064-57  list price $96.00....
seal set includes crank-up windshield: 3 piece set for bottom and sides, lower strip fits a dovetail groove in cowl. Fisher closed bodies.

Listed below that is part # 70-0064-57 at $2.60 a foot SEAL CRANK -UP WINDSHIELD TOP. L shaped strip fastens to windshield header facing glass to seal across top.    Many models with crank up windshields.

So I was wrong about above part goes on body against glass.... :-[

mike---------------- 8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 08:36:09 PM »
For all of my windows except the doors I used butyl tape with the windshiled pressed into it. Then I made a bunch of small metal clips, similar to the plastic clips you use to hang mirrors, and screwed them into the windshield frame just for good measure.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
How I was told to set the windows to insure no leaks was to use 1/4 butyl tape around the window opening then put down a bead of urethane sealant slightly larger than the butyl tape around the outside edge leaving a small gap. Press the glass into the sealant then into the butyl tape, the tape will act as a dam preventing the sealant from squeezing and the tape will hold the glass in place while the sealant cures.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 10:07:25 AM »
dug out my steel rubber products of Denver NC printed catalogue.......1-800-544-8665 
 www.steelerubber.com
under section windshield weather strip , for 1926--1931 SEAL set,  part # 70-0064-57  list price $96.00....
seal set includes crank-up windshield: 3 piece set for bottom and sides, lower strip fits a dovetail groove in cowl. Fisher closed bodies.

Listed below that is part # 70-0064-57 at $2.60 a foot SEAL CRANK -UP WINDSHIELD TOP. L shaped strip fastens to windshield header facing glass to seal across top.    Many models with crank up windshields.

So I was wrong about above part goes on body against glass.... :-[

mike---------------- 8)

Not sure if I have enough original to go back with the crank up, do you know where I can look at some detail of the original setup?  I wonder if the original setup was noisy at higher speeds?

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
I will email my friend frank with the 31 olds who is wintering in florida about wind noise and water sealing.

mike

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 01:08:50 PM »
I will email my friend frank with the 31 olds who is wintering in florida about wind noise and water sealing.

mike
  Thanks Mike

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 05:03:20 PM »
ACCORDING TO FRANK, the seal set does stop all water infiltration, nothing gets thru.

wind noise ??? , whats that he says.  quiet as a mouse.

Note----- getting the bottom seal in with the dovetail , takes some work .

He thinks the wind-up mechanism is a worm and sector system as best he can remember, he did it about 10--12 years ago..

you might be able to google the info

mike.................. 8)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal