Author Topic: water temperature sensor  (Read 4796 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
water temperature sensor
« on: August 03, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »
I have just recently install a FiTech EFI on my engine and have to use one of the two ports on the manifold for the temp sensor it used and the other houses the electric fan sensor.  I need a spot to install the temp gauge sensor and don't want to use the below the #1 spark plug because on its proximity to the header.  I have heard of locating it in the lower radiator, but am not setup for that.

There is a location at the top of the water pump but don't know how accurate it would be.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: water temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »
How does the passenger side head between 6 and 8 look?

Are you using (3) sending units?  One for the fan on/off, one for dash temp gauge and one for the EFI (open/closed loop) sensor?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:53:02 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:08:50 PM »
I would think the outlet on the water pump should give you a good reading.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »
MUNCH if you used the one on the manifold for your water temp gauage then just split it and use the one for the fan off of that  How much more accurate than that can you get  vette59jdwl

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:18:18 AM »
MUNCH if you used the one on the manifold for your water temp gauge then just split it and use the one for the fan off of that  How much more accurate than that can you get  vette59jdwl

Vette,

I ask SPAL the following and got this reply:

I have installed EFI on my engine and the sensor takes up one of the two installation points on the manifold.  I don't want to install the temp sensor below the # one spark plug because of the proximity of the header.  It there a way to share the SPAL fan sensor?

Thanks
Hi Michael,
Sorry the Spal temp switch can only be used for the fan relay as it is only a grounding temp switch. You need a temp sensor for the gauges.

But you are saying that the temp sensor should be compatible with the SPAL fan?

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
MUNCH if you used the one on the manifold for your water temp gauage then just split it and use the one for the fan off of that  How much more accurate than that can you get  vette59jdwl
Vette,

I did ask and here is the reply:

No unfortunately the temp sensor will not work to control the fan relays. The temperature switch for the fan relay and a temperature sensor for the gauge are two totally different types of devices which makes them incompatible with each other. The temp switch is an on/off device where the temp sensor is a variable resistance output (thermistor) to tell the gauge different temperatures based on that resistance value.

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »

Are you using (3) sending units?  One for the fan on/off, one for dash temp gauge and one for the EFI (open/closed loop) sensor?

Ed,

I will look at the passenger side.

That is correct, I am using 3 units as described.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 06:35:42 PM »

Ed,

I'm surprised the EFI system doesn't use the temp sending to control the temp gauge and fan on/off relay via the ECM like an OEM GM EFI  does. That's how I control my EFI conversions.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:52:41 PM by EDNY »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »

Ed,

I'm surprised the EFI system doesn't use the temp sending to control the temp gauge and fan on/off relay via the ECM like an OEM GM EFI  does. That's how I control my EFI conversions.

It has a fan control lead, I just don't understand how it works.

http://fitechefi.com/files/30001.30002Instructionsm12.9.15.pdf
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:53:40 PM by EDNY »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
Looking at the charts you can eliminate your current on/off fan sensor and install the kit supplied temp sensor.  The yellow/black temp sensor wire goes to the ECM on the throttle body.

When the engine reaches  a set temperature the engine goes to closed loop and the O2 sensor and ECM take over managing the fuel delivery. The yellow wire coming from the connector goes to the fan relay to supply ground to circuit 85 on the relay.

When the engine reaches a fan pre-set temp, the ECM sends a ground signal (yellow wire) to circuit 85 on the relay. The relay gets it's fused ignition power via circuit 86. As the relay is grounded via 85 the circuit closes powering the electric fan to cool the engine (just like an OEM ECM).

You need to use a relay to power the fan and maybe you are already using one to power your current fan? Is your fan 1 or 2 speed?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:11:53 PM by EDNY »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
Looking at the charts you can eliminate your current on/off fan sensor and install the kit supplied temp sensor.  The yellow/black temp sensor wire goes to the ECM on the throttle body.

When the engine reaches  a set temperature the engine goes to closed loop and the O2 sensor and ECM take over managing the fuel delivery. The yellow wire coming from the connector goes to the fan relay to supply ground to circuit 85 on the relay.

When the engine reaches a fan pre-set temp, the ECM sends a ground signal (yellow wire) to circuit 85 on the relay. The relay gets it's fused ignition power via circuit 86. As the relay is grounded via 85 the circuit closes powering the electric fan to cool the engine (just like an OEM ECM).

You need to use a relay to power the fan and maybe you are already using one to power your current fan? Is your fan 1 or 2 speed?

Thanks Ed, the tech I got didn't seem to understand what I was asking.  I have a single SPAL like the diagram below and I asked where to connect the yellow wire.  Would the yellow wire attach to the grey sending unit wire on the SPAL diagram?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:52:19 AM by munch »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 10:52:56 AM »
Can't read the diagrams but you are probably using the top drawing with single speed fan, so disregard the bottom drawing it's for a (2) speed fan setup.

From the pdf link you listed earlier..the yellow wire is the "signal ground" from the ECM to the "fan relay".

If you already have a "working electric fan setup"  using a block sending sensor (on/off only) that activates the fan AND IF THE FAN IS ALREADY USING A RELAY you just need to remove the wire from the current fan on/off sensor and attach the yellow wire from your EFI connector to it. The ECM will then send the ground signal to the relay (#85) instead of the old fan on/off sensor doing it. (Old fan on/off sensor is no longer needed)

Look at the attached drawing again Fan #1 (85) is the yellow wire you are talking about...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:20:50 AM by EDNY »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
Can't read the diagrams but you are probably using the top drawing with single speed fan, so disregard the bottom drawing it's for a (2) speed fan setup.

From the pdf link you listed earlier..the yellow wire is the "signal ground" from the ECM to the "fan relay".

If you already have a "working electric fan setup"  using a block sending sensor (on/off only) that activates the fan AND IF THE FAN IS ALREADY USING A RELAY you just need to remove the wire from the current fan on/off sensor and attach the yellow wire from your EFI connector to it. The ECM will then send the ground signal to the relay (#85) instead of the old fan on/off sensor doing it. (Old fan on/off sensor is no longer needed)

Look at the attached drawing again Fan #1 (85) is the yellow wire you are talking about...

Yes that would be the grey wire going to the sensor.  This link has a drawing that shows it better.  It was the instruction to connect the yellow wire to a ground relay terminal that was messing me up.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/fan_control.php

« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:54:40 PM by EDNY »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 03:00:34 PM »
 I just called the company...your EFI setup can be programed to turn the fan on at any temp you want. You don't need the sending unit in the SPAL kit and looking at the diagrams...you really only needed a relay with whip.

Option 1:  If you already have an electric fan using a on/off sensor and relay..just remove the sensor from the block and connect that wire to the yellow wire on the 6 pin connector..that's it. You need to install the EFI kit temp sensor and connect it via the blk & yellow wire connector.

Option 2: If you are connecting the electric for the first time, install the supplied EFI kit temp sending unit in the block, the black yellow connector then connects to the ECM on the throttle body.

Now take the yellow wire from the 6 pin connector & connect that yellow wire to the grey one in the SPAL kit that's it (don't use the SPAL sending unit). That pictured optional fan bypass is handy but not required.

In the end..you only need (2) sending units: The one supplied with the EFI kit and the (existing) one used for the dash temperature gauge.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 03:16:57 PM by EDNY »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 03:20:25 PM »
I just called the company...your EFI setup can be programed to turn the fan on at any temp you want. You don't need the sending unit in the SPAL kit and looking at the diagrams...you really only needed a relay with whip.

Option 1:  If you already have an electric fan using a on/off sensor and relay..just remove the sensor and connect the wire to the yellow wire on the 6 pin connector..that's it. You need to install the EFI temp sensor and connect it via the blk & yellow wire connector.

Option 2: If you are connecting the electric for the first time, install the supplied EFI kit temp sending unit in the block, the black yellow connector then connects to the ECM on the throttle body.

Now take the yellow wire from the 6 pin connector & connect that yellow wire to the grey one in the SPAL kit that's it (don't use the SPAL sending unit. That pictured optional fan bypass is handy but not required.

In the end..you only need (2) sending units: The one supplied with the EFI kit and the (existing) one used for the dash temperature gauge.

Ed,

I feel like a dummy, I either confused the tech I called or he didn't know, most probably me.  What you did was above and beyond and I cannot thank you enough.  Thanks for taking the time out to help.  I owe you...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 02:55:27 PM by EDNY »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal