General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

brake locked

<< < (4/4)

62131:
I purchased all my front end parts from one location made it easy

39delux:
The plot thickens (sickens) again.  Every time I think I've solved the problem the same symptoms pop up.  Got in touch with Trevor at Master Power Brakes and he told me to look at the booster.  Took the new booster off, hooked up my vacuum pump to it and it was hard to operate and the M/C side pin would only retract with some coaching!!!  Cycled it a bunch of times and it would retract to random depths.  Took the old booster and tried it.  Worked much smoother but at first it would also need coaching but did return to where it should be.  Light grease, more cycles and it started to act normal.  Trevor at MPB said he had seen this with the 7" and 8" duel diaphragm booster.  Rare on the 9" boosters. 

My stupidity did not stop there.  Decided to use the vacuum pump to activate the booster and bleed the brakes.  That worked well.  Then I set the free pedal using the vacuum pump...mistake.  Went for a short ride to test the brakes.  Good firm pedal and then I noticed the car downshifted.  Tested the brakes and the pedal was AT THE TOP.  Got the car home under full power and the brakes were smoking big time.  Temp on the rear was over 400 degrees.  Vacuum pump puts out 28 lbs plus and engine about 18 or so.  See the difference?  Readjusted the pedal and all seems well on a 15 mile test. 

House now smells like a NASCAR pitbox at Darlington. 

Overlooked the booster every time.  Never thought a new (make that 2) booster would malfunction. 

sixball:
I hope that's it for you. I think at some time we've all had new parts that did't work right but that is certainly not where we look first. We just assume ............ ::)

chopper526:
I got my fingers crossed for you, Rattiac. This problem has been a journey

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version