General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Late '40s early "50s Chevy Pickup brake mix and match?

(1/1)

sixball:
 Does any one know if the '48- '49 or so pickup front drums can be used with '53 or so better brakes? Those drums fit my spoke wheels but I like the later brakes. I think bearing and spindles are the same and shoes are 2"X 11" but I don't know about the offset on the backing plate.

woodremover:
I am using a 50 front axle in my 34 pick up . 50 was the first year for bendix style brakes ,
all earlier trucks used the huck style brake , I have both style drums here and the bendix style installed on the truck already
I have a flat tire on the front that needs repaired , I wll take it apart this week and send some comparison photo's
I am curious to find out now , I am going to run the 6 bolt 15 inch artillery wheels ,but knowing if I could do a drum swap
maybe run the wires once and awhile !!  the drums are deffenetly different though
joe mac

sixball:
Thank you. I uses I can do that too. I have the Bendix brakes on my '53 pickup and the Huck brakes on the axle I want to use on the roadster. It seems there is a difference in how the outer edge of the drum fits the backing plate. I do know that the Bendix drums are the same front and rear and that my '70 Blazer uses the same drums as my '53.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version