Author Topic: Flat tappet or roller? Solid or hydraulic?  (Read 4874 times)

Cool53

• Daily Driver
Flat tappet or roller? Solid or hydraulic?
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
Myth-Oil is the biggest cause of flat tappet failure so I really need to run a roller cam.

Myth-Solid cams are a pain because they require constant adjustment.

The truth about flat tappet failure relates more to lifter quality than zinc content in oil. People talk about zinc but are never specific about whether dialkyl or diaryl zinc. If you don't think oil is better now than it was in 1963 you need to reexamine your thinking.
I never sell a roller cam if I can help it, and in the last 40 years I have had no failures. Lifter face quality is the issue. I have been hand polishing lifters since the quality has dropped off, but now Johnson Lifters is back in business the issue is moot. Their lifters are perfect, and for a few dollars more you can get them with a tiny hole in the face that has been made through EDM to supply more oil. And CompCams and others offer a nitride coating for extra charge to keep the cam bumpy. Plus, a failed roller lifter causes a lot more damage than a failed flat tappet.

As far as solid versus hydraulic I like the little extra response of a solid. The only time I ever need to adjust my valves often was when I was using low priced roller rockers. They have small trunnions and wear, which isn't good, so I've switched to Ultra Pro Magnum rockers from Comp, no more issues. With a hydraulic cam you have to have quite a big of wear before you hear a loud lifter, with a solid you'll notice an issue right away. And let's face it, it's like changing an oil filter and nit cutting it open to check for metal, you really should pop the valve covers on a performance engine to check on things.

I know this subject will raise some questions. Wait until we get to carburetors! Some of you will want to punch me in the nose!

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Flat tappet or roller? Solid or hydraulic?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:46 AM »
Jef
Ware issues aside, isn’t one of the advantages of a roller cam the fact that you can have a much more aggressive lift-curve capability as compared to a flat-tappet cam. In order for a flat tappet cam to generate as much lift as a roller, it requires more duration so the flat tappet lifters would actually dig into the lobe flank if the lobe is designed too aggressively. Roller tappets don’t suffer that problem so the cam manufacturer can put much more lift into a roller cam lobe. Not only that, from what I understand  if you’re using the Chevy Fast Burn/Vortec heads like I am the roller profile can be designed to hold the valve open longer above 0.200-inch tappet lift which can really help increase airflow during the time that the cylinder head offers the most potential flow. As you said the subject of camshafts can always generate a lot of discussion and I’m looking forward to the discussion.

You raised the subject of cutting open the oil filter to check for metal debris which brings to mind another question…..What do you recommend for brand of oil filter. Back in my early days we always used Fram filters but from what I’ve seen recently people have had all sorts of problems with them. I’m not sure if it’s urban legend of fact so I thought I’d ask your opinion

Moose

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

MIDROAD

• Rookie
    • MIDROAD MOTORS
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »
I've used both roller and flat tappet cams with success. Here in Australia we don't have the low zinc oil problem so much.
I agree that lifter quality is a problem so you need to buy the best quality you can afford.
The major reason I've found for lobe failure (apart from poor break in procedure) is overly aggressive valve springs. If you want to run a 8000 RPM SBC on the street be prepared for regular teardowns and repairs.
               Mike.

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
Hey Moose. I guess I missed making my point once again. I absolutely prefer a roller, a solid roller. But the point I was supposed to be making was that it is not necessary to run a roller. Most of my customers are on a budget and could use the extra money a roller costs for other parts.
Everything you said is absolutely correct. But lifter quality in rollers is a problem now,too.mtoo many offshore parts. And if you are going to make big rpm then going the route of bushing the roller is a must. By the time you get the right valve springs, and possibly a high rev kit, you are squeezing that cam really hard. The only way needle bearings work properly is when they are separated. When they touch they are going in different directions, which creates a ton of friction, wear, and brinneling.
And our friend from down under is absolutely right. Most people are really not sure where their springs are. I have a spring tester that fits right on a rocker with everything still assembled so I can check check springs on a customer's car or while at the track on my own stuff. But let's face it, with street vehicles most engines don't even have TDC correct.
The high load issue of springs with seldom driven cars is also tough on cam bearings, so I use coated bearings everywhere.
Low speed, like idle speeds, are rough on roller lifters because of the camshafts dramatic profiles. Roller lifters are tested for longevity at 80 rpm.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 05:26:39 PM »
Jef

MIDROAD mentioned possible cam failure being caused by high tension valve springs which brought to mind another question. What do you think of the beehive valve spring setups and will you use them on you new 362?

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

MIDROAD

• Rookie
    • MIDROAD MOTORS
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
If I can buy into the flat tappet versus roller cam argument, I've found if you use quality components from the one manufacturer there is no problem.
The main reason to run flat tappet is cost. A roller cam should always give more power and torque but you need to be careful not to get too close to competition specification. Otherwise you will have that 8000 RPM SBC again.
For oil filters I use K&N. even on a stock daily driver the oil is cleaner when a change is due.
Cool53, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on carburettors. I think most people over complicate carb tuning. Again, if the right combination of parts are used a good carb gives great reliable performance.
    Mike.

Cool53

• Daily Driver
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:41:10 PM »
I use beehive springs on everything. The progressive action and lighter weight are very advantageous. It's why GM went to them on the LS engines. The downside is there is no backup in the event of a spring failure. With a dual spring you have that. A scratch across a spring cool, or a dot of rust, will break a spring. I haven't see any broken springs yet. I will use them with the 362. Dean Harvey at Comp is designing a cam for me now. Because I use a power adder from time to time I am having him spread TGIF lobe centers to 113. The truck will run smoother, but the higher compression will keep it real snappy.
The more you spend for a filter the better off you usually are, but it's not a guarantee. I think all manufacturers are using filters made by someone else in some cases. When Fram was in East Providence, RI they were made there, you could stop by and talk with the engineers and watch them being built, but that's all gone now. Used to do the same thing with Accel when they were part of Echlin in Branford, CT.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal