General Category > General Discussion - Intros

What Did You do Today - Car Related?

<< < (269/269)

Rattiac:
Thanks.  That seat looks great Essex.  Looked way better than my first seat.  It was bad,  backrest was crooked and drooped down on one side.
I can't wait to do the 32. Still along ways away from that.

Essex_29:
Thank you both. My wife did the sewing, she's pretty good at it, though we did use
just a normal domestic sewingmachine. I did the measuring, designing, cutting and
planning. It was fun to do car work together.
Rear seat was comparatively easy, and doors were a breeze, but that front bench...

TFoch:
Nice work by you and your wife Essex_29!

Essex_29:
I'm stretching the facts a bit, this didn't actually oocure today, but a couple days ago.
I was out shoping for parts, and had just been buying a filler cap for the rear axle on the buick, then came out and
when turning the key I just heard a soft "poff".
And it was totally dead. I tried tightening the positive cable on the starter, and at best I got another poff, and then
nothing, no matter what I tried. I had planned to have a coffee with a friend, so I  called him and said he might as
well come take me to the caf?, because my car wouldn't start.

When I stepped into his Hemi Jeep, he asked what kind of insurance I have, and after a call to the insurance
company it turned out I have a towing insurance, so I got the car hauled home for free!

The next day I measured the voltage between the positive on the battery and the positive on the starter, and
it showed 12,64 Volts between both ends of the same wire. It turned out the lead close to the battery where
 the American style side post battery lead was bolted to an adapter for my top post battery the joint had
corroded. Super simple fault, but it took a bit of thinking and a multi meter to find it.
Cleaned and working again, maybe for another 40 years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version