Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1930 Buick V12 build

<< < (3/68) > >>

sixball:
Good work. The Edelbrock carbs are highly adjustable even beyond the jetting & rod combos listed in the book.   

TFoch:
Very cool build Essex_29!  Nice fab work!

Essex_29:
Thank you for the kind words, TFoch and sixball! And yes, I like the Edelbrock carbs and they way they adjust. I had a 700 cfm Edelbrock on a 455 Olds some time ago, and I got that one to run very nicely after changing jets and rods, and getting the springs right. I've also worked on twin Weber DCOEs, they are almost infinitely adjustable, and with the help of the 1977 Weber book and a wideband lambda, I got the engine (Ford Cortina GT historic racing car) to run just perfect. Carbs can be fun, especially if one has the time and energy to work methodically with them.

So, next on the agenda would have been the ignitionsystem(s) on the V12. Yes, they're actually two separate ignition systems. As from factory, the BMW V12 had two totally separate Motronic ECUs running totally separate ignition and fuel injection systems for each of the two cylinder banks.
My plan originally, was to do this:

I meant to cut two Ford Cologne V6 distributors, and drive them off the camshafts. In theory I tried all kinds of ideas, until I got very frustrated with the packaging issue I ran into how ever I tried to make the distributors short and compact. The end result would inevitable result in my moving the engine back a few inches, and that in turn would force me to rework the firewall... OR to cut the frame and lengthen it.
About a week ago, I decided to back down from one of my principles, and throw out the mechanical distributor idea, and go with an aftermarket ECU to take care of the ignition advance and timing, two coils to send spark to the stock "dumb" distributors.
 This will result in a bit of a dilemma, in other words, me having something in my car that I can't fix on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere if disaster would strike. On the other hand it may well work for many years without service...

EDNY:
There is a lot of info online discussing distributorless ignition systems (homemade and commercial).  One system that you might consider is the OBD1 GM Tune Port Injection since they are "bank firing" versus the more complicated (OBD2) sequential firing system.  You would need to determine whether to use speed density or MAF.

This would only take care of the fuel injector portion and being bank firing it would inject fuel on the entire left and/or right banks at one time....you can wire in as many injectors on one bank as needed.

Now the ignition portion needs to be addressed. I can burn any TPI chips you need.

sixball:
You may find some answers at DIYAUTOTUNE. It is a world of it's own and can be over whelming. I haven't used the site in years and if looks different but I'm sure the info is still there. There was a very extensive forum component filled with posts from users. I would bet that someone has put a MSII on one of these engines, They can run injection & ignition. I built one several years ago and if I can do it anyone can. There is so much out there now I'm sure you can figure this out.

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/megasquirt-kits-components/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version