General Category > Moose's Tech Corner

Use your single element LED light as a dual element (park & directional)

(1/2) > >>

EDNY:
I have a set of headlights with the LED directional lights built into them, the problem is LED lights are a single element bulb which means they have a single function like the traditional 1156 bulb. (blink or be a running light - not both).

We know how to wire a car with a traditional 1157 double element bulb, one positive for parking light, the other positive for the brighter brake light.  Since they don't make a double element LED bulb I figured there was a way to make the single LED dual function and found the following video explaining how to do it.

https://youtu.be/7yrvmEUMFGo

You need to make one unit for each front LED light, the taillights will already have dual function. Solder and heat shrink them right at the LED.

Here are the part numbers from the video:

(2) IN4004 or IN4005 rectifier diodes
(1) 12v 1 watt 500-600 Ohm resistor

If you have headlights with built in single function LED ...you won't need to mount a separate directional light and can put the resistor/diodes inside the headlight bucket.

chopper526:
This could be right up my alley, Ed. My headlights have a single amber bulb in them. I had to choose, parking lights or turn signals. I chose turn signals, but maybe now I can have both.

EDNY:

--- Quote from: chopper526 on June 08, 2015, 06:08:58 PM ---This could be right up my alley, Ed. My headlights have a single amber bulb in them. I had to choose, parking lights or turn signals. I chose turn signals, but maybe now I can have both.

--- End quote ---

To tell you the truth my 34 Chevy came wired just this way.  It has single LED bulbs up front and I was wondering how the guy did it.  It has LED's up front and 1157 lights on the rear so it uses a regular flasher.

Using a set of halogen headlights with those built in amber directionals on my 33 Chevy.

themoose:
Ed..Great article. Just as a side note,they do make 1157 equivalent led bulbs. Some companies offer high intensity bulbs that are even brighter that the incandescent version . Here's one to take a look at.
Click here

EDNY:

--- Quote from: themoose on June 08, 2015, 08:31:43 PM ---Ed..Great article. Just as a side note,they do make 1157 equivalent led bulbs. Some companies offer high intensity bulbs that are even brighter that the incandescent version . Here's one to take a look at.
Click here

--- End quote ---

Moose..the problem we have is with those headlights with built in LED's..they use those small push in LED light bulbs that mount in rubber grommets. Those 1157 LED lights would brighten up my rear lights (with a LED flasher).

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version