Author Topic: Illegal Street Racing Gaining Attention  (Read 2507 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Illegal Street Racing Gaining Attention
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
RE: Street Outlaws television series

One of the shows participants was arrested and charged with 2 counts of murder as a result of a street racing incident. I like watching the program but figured it was going to increase the illegal activity.

Link:

http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/03/09/illegal-street-racing-gaining-attention/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Burnoutnewsletter
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Illegal Street Racing Gaining Attention
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 10:09:10 AM »
I've watched the show and I'm impressed with the cars they build but I do feel it promotes illegal street racing.  Unfortunately with all the small drag strips that have closed since the 70's kids don't have as many don't have as many places to go race legally.  We used to cruise Elm St in my home town and some guys would go race up the north end of the road later at night.  Most got caught and got tickets.  Might be showing my age but I remember going to New England Dragway on Wednesday nights and making a bunch of passes for $3.  They called it grudge night and you could line up with who you wanted to.  Made a lot of passes down that track.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:34:37 AM »
I think that part of the hook on street racing is its an illegal activity.

You could offer the track for free use and they still would race on the street, using all kinds of reasons why they do not want to go to the track.   Its always been that way.

If they get arrested and locked up, their cars crushed into a box size, then and only then will they MAYBE stop.   But don't wager anything on that happening.

By the way the province of Ontario has laws to cover this activity, including crushing your car !!!!!!!!!!    its called STUNT DRIVING, exceeding the speed limit by 50 kilometers or about 30 mph.

Before the law I had to go to traffic court for speeding, 157 km in a 100 km zone highway.  Got it reduced to 149 and paid the fine.   BUT, the court was full of people doing 180---201 km.  I was embarrassed as slow man in court that day.

mike         8)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
The problem also is the thought to the spectators. Growing up around many forms of racing, dad always talked to us about being aware of your suroundings, never turn you back to a race  car, exit strategy and safety zone! Some of these street racers prep themselves with safety equipment (roll cage, net, helmet, etc) and don't give the bystanders a thought. >:(

Back in high school we had two drag strips, but they were 90 miles away ( Great Bend, Liberal). Seldom did any of the kids ever make the trip. Drag racing in our city limits was a big no-no. We had several spots (4)out side of town on the back roads that got used on saturday nights, usually Involved no real horse power. I use to try to heard everyone to stay behind the cars. I've seen some nasty stuff happen on the start line. High horse power can sling parts everywhere!

I seldom took part in these, but when I did I insisted on a private race one on one with No witnesses!  Didn't want to get narked on, and only if I thought the other driver was competent.
Edit ad: I was at the Great Bend with my '57 and watched an old Willys Jeep make a pass(BBC powered) and he was all over the track. I told my buddy Tom that there would be no way I would line up with that guy. 20mins later, guess what they motion me to the box with him. Nope, an official came over and said to move up. I told him no way was i going to line up to that squirl! Put him off long enough the Jeep made a bi-run (just in the time trials)and almost hit the wall over in the opposing lane.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:28:25 AM by sammons »

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06:54 AM »
  HIGH Guys  I am home and just opened up.Glad to see all this talk about drag racing or grudge racing.We have an abandoned DND airport 40 miles from my home and that is where all us lads go to spin the tires and grudge race on the other hand if we wish to be official we have Shanonville drag strip just off of old number 2 hwy and it is a sanctioned track. Having said all that i wish to ask my american cousins has anyone seen or anyone know this emblem pics to follow for this is what is still on my drag corvette 1959 silver blue   vette59jdwl
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:17:15 AM by vette59jdwl »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
When we wanted to go legal, we went to Atco Dragway, or as the radio commercial said "ATCO DRAG-A-WAY!!!" 3 dollars for general admission, 5 dollars to get into the pits and I think it was 10 dollars to race. Atco is still open, but I don't know what it costs these days. I used to race my Mustang and came away with a few trophies. I felt  like a bigshot, but I do remember racing against a Celica or something like that :-\
If we wanted to street race one of the popular places was a long stretch of street in an industrial park. That road would get packed on Saturday night. I didn't go there too often because my dad was a cop and if I got caught there he would have killed me. Then in 1977 they built a new police station at the top of the street............end of street racing :'(
For all intents and purposes, street racing is dead in Philadelphia, now, which is probably a good thing.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »
We were pretty serious back in the day. There was spot out in east Denver, but still close enough to annoy some of the new houses being built, so we did get some complaints. By the time the police shut us down for good, we had a starting light, and we had so many pedestrian cars in attendance, that they would line there cars on both sides of the street with there lights on to shine on the track. I don't blame the police for shutting us down. If one the high horsepower cars got loose he could have taken out a bunch of cars, and the people standing around them. I kinda liked my races quietly done with no large groups.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal