Author Topic: What Did You do Today - Car Related?  (Read 163251 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: What Did You do Today - Car Related?
« Reply #525 on: July 10, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »
Mike I'm using a blast kit that attaches to my pressure washer, There is no air. The water passing the end of the sand delivery line creates a suction and feeds the sand. One end of the sand line just sticks into a bucket of sand. It is a 1/2" clear plastic hose and at the nozzle end fits over metal tube that is 1/2" OD 3/8" ID. The 1/16" wall seems to be part of creating the clog. After blasting a while the finest particles stick together and close the line at that point. I'm going  to taper that edge and see if it helps. It could be that the "play sand" has dirt/clay in it. The sand in the bucket is dry but if I tip the wand end and shut off the pressure some water can wet the sand at the end of the sand tube. It's OK if I don't pause for too long.

It is not getting it as clean as I had hoped but it is pretty close. Certainly clean enough the minimal wire wheel work and a rust converting product will do the rest. We'll se what happens today. It's making a bigger mess when the blast hits the ground and throws mud.
Thanks Chopper!
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #526 on: July 10, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
when I bought my roll around stand/cabinet blaster air powered 5 years ago I bought various types of blast media.........80 grit aluminum oxide sand , glass beads, a slag media that's like a 36 grit ? plus a couple others. I dumped them into home depot 5 gallon pails with snap on tops.

Figure to use any of them would have to put on very large metal baking sheets and fire up the BBQ to get moisture out.

I would think a thicker clear hose than 1/16 would be preferred to prevent any shrinkage in the hose and potential for choking off supply. ?

Maybe somebody else can remember the name of the brush or spray paint for chassis in a RED can , that seals the metal and any rust.  Perfect for frames and underneath.   I can mentally see the can, I just cannot remember its name.  Damn old age sucks

mike.....................HAIRBALL

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #527 on: July 10, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »
Is that the paint they use on the inside of blocks and tranny cases? I've seen it on the inside of lathe gear boxes too.
 Because we make our own power, mostly solar I don't have 220 to run a big enough compressor to blast with. I do have a jack hammer compressor powered by a 14 horse Kohler gas engine. I haven't used it in years and should drag it down and fire it up. That would likely take a day or two but would be worth it.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #528 on: July 10, 2020, 10:52:03 PM »
OK, Better day.  :) When I went out today I knew I had to replace an O ring in the wand. While I was getting the O ring out of the parts kit I saw the instructions for replacing the ceramic nozzle. In the picture there are two ceramic pieces and mine only had one when I got it new. One is a long thin piece that goes in the brass tip. the other thicker and shorter and goes behind in the main piece. That is the one that was missing. Some sick Chinese joke? I had two replacement sets so I put the missing piece in, did the mod to the metal sand tube I described yesterday, and replaced the damaged O ring.
What a difference. Sand moved through the suction line with no clogs in the wand today. I had two in the plastic line between the bucket and the wand. Easily and quickly cleared. It still uses a LOT of sand and doesn't remove the rust as well as I'd like but I'm almost done. I used six 50lb bags of sand in a little less than 2 hours. During the last bag and a half I worked out the distance from work and it was cleaning better. The front nozzle is almost shot out. What isn't blasting off comes of very quickly and easily with wire brush on an angle grinder in the places I an reach. Smaller tools and the liquid products will do the rest. I'll get more sand tomorrow and finish it up on Sunday.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #529 on: July 11, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
Today I thought I'd do some testing on the jeep to figure out the low power on the freeway.
Suspecting fuel pump or cat. Factory items.
Got a vacuum gauge. Readings are 15 @ idle, 18-19 @ 2000+rpm. Seems good.
Rented a fuel pressure gauge. ::::::::: 40psi key turned on , 46psi running (any rpm) seems good.
Temp readings on cat. (Before and after cat)
At first when I idled after a short trip.
300+ before/180after.
I shut it down for a minute to get the wife to hold the throttle for me.
These readings were different.@ 2000/3000rpm Practically opposite.
No rotten egg smell OR any check engine lights.

While doing all the testing, I was able to mount a fender.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 11:10:34 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #530 on: July 12, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
Sounds like a plugged cat?  Can you remove it and wash it out to clean out the cones? Did that on my buddies V6 Impala.

If the catalyst has stopped working, the front temperature will be about the same as or higher than the rear temperature.
In a good catalytic converter, the rear of the converter will be 20+ degrees hotter than the front.

From this site:

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Test-a-Bad-Catalytic-Converter#:~:text=If%20the%20catalyst%20has%20stopped,degrees%20hotter%20than%20the%20front.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #531 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
was busy making frames for shipping boxes for 4 steel running boards am selling on ebay for 34-35 Chevrolet std series.

Finished off another box for a 34-35 chev rad shell I sold a couple days ago.

Started frame work for the 2 left rear fenders I have for sale on ebay.

Found a box for a 34-35 Chevrolet luggage rack emblem, sold it.

Started pouring rain like crazy at 3 pm, got all tools away and escaped inside.

Tomorrow will make a box or find a box for a pair of frameless windshield posts aluminum that has multiple bids.

Have a 33-34 stainless grill insert also need to construct a wood frame for that.

Time to make a lot of extra parts disappear and return as $$$$$$$$

mike......HAIRBALL

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #532 on: July 16, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
Sounds like a plugged cat?  Can you remove it and wash it out to clean out the cones? Did that on my buddies V6 Impala.

If the catalyst has stopped working, the front temperature will be about the same as or higher than the rear temperature.
In a good catalytic converter, the rear of the converter will be 20+ degrees hotter than the front.

From this site:

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Test-a-Bad-Catalytic-Converter#:~:text=If%20the%20catalyst%20has%20stopped,degrees%20hotter%20than%20the%20front.

Took it to a exhaust shop near my work today.
Had a backpressure test done, he says the cat is good but my fan clutch should be replaced.
(I put a heavy duty fan clutch from a grand Cherokee in a year or so ago.)

The jeep is at 195,000 miles on the stock converter. I think I'll have it replaced anyway.
Maybe I'll go back to a stock fan clutch and see if that helps. If not,,,,, well I'll drive it till it dies and maybe start looking at other vehicles in the future.

Saw a 84 Wagoneer for sale in bfe Nevada, I almost picked up.
I have PTSD.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #533 on: July 18, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »
Went for a ride this morning.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

ChevRon

• Stovebolt
« Reply #534 on: July 18, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
Hey Mr. Foch.. That looks like a really good ride.  Can't wait to get mine on the road. Ron

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #535 on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:15 PM »
Covered bridges, we dont get those around here. 8)  very cool.

The jeep seems to hold 65 better with the new cat.
Fan clutch isn't locked up, spins good.
Was susposed to off-road ing today,  but the heat. I'll stay home.
My woman was trying to get some time off so we can go camping. Her supervisor is giving her a hard time about it and wont give her a answer.
😑
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2020, 10:36:57 AM »
Pretty country Tom. Stark difference from my ride yesterday.
A friend, fellow Inliner, called for help. The Fire Dept, had warned his neighbor about weeds and sage too close to the fence. He wanted to avoid the same warning so I took my tractor down and knocked it put. It's about 5 miles from here and I decided to just drive the tractor and not mess with the trailer. A bad choice. My Kubota is slower than my Ford so I was in the sun a lot longer than I had planned to be. Over 100 degrees. The tractor and I both over heated and though I was home by 2:00 I was shot for the rest of the day. Better this morning.  :)
 Rat, Glad the Jeep is doing better. The guy I went to help yesterday is into old Jeeps a Willys cars. He has some cool stuff.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2020, 07:49:14 PM »
I made this 8x10 awning last year for the jeep, took it off just before winter and it just sat in the garage.
Thinking it was way too big, I almost sold it.
(Only cost me $60 to make it, using a tarp and electrical conduit.)
Today I decided to shorten it down to a 6x8.
Now it dosent stick out like a sore thumb and rolls up smaller.

Ran outta time today but the main tarp is done.
Need to make telescoping poles for the arms and legs so it matches up the 6ft width.
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #538 on: July 20, 2020, 03:23:58 PM »
I was out in the shop this morning sorting and making work space when the dogs started barking just outside. The older one ,who has been bitten twice, has a special bark for these. This was the new dogs first event. She did well. The first one of the season.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #539 on: July 20, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Glad I don't have any of those in my yard!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal