Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1926 buick roadster

<< < (117/117)

GRDENG:

--- Quote from: EDNY on February 22, 2013, 10:44:16 AM ---This might be "just me"...but I noticed that if I had to bend any round or square tubing...positioning the "seam" on the inside of the arc made the bend easier.  The seam is the dark line on the tubing...that would be the thickest wall area...just seems to make sense keeping it inside the curve means it won't have to be stretched as compared to being on the outside  circumference?

--- End quote ---

EDNY,  The seam should be 90 deg to the former or arc. If it is on the inside it has to compress, on the outside it has to stretch. With square tube you usually have to "collapse" the inside anyway as the material has now where to go. (ie, it wont shrink. Cheers, Greg

EDNY:

--- Quote from: GRDENG on April 21, 2020, 05:35:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: EDNY on February 22, 2013, 10:44:16 AM ---This might be "just me"...but I noticed that if I had to bend any round or square tubing...positioning the "seam" on the inside of the arc made the bend easier.  The seam is the dark line on the tubing...that would be the thickest wall area...just seems to make sense keeping it inside the curve means it won't have to be stretched as compared to being on the outside  circumference?

--- End quote ---

EDNY,  The seam should be 90 deg to the former or arc. If it is on the inside it has to compress, on the outside it has to stretch. With square tube you usually have to "collapse" the inside anyway as the material has now where to go. (ie, it wont shrink. Cheers, Greg

--- End quote ---

After I made that post I was watching a car program on TV and they side to put the weld seam on the side(s) when forming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version