Author Topic: 1926 buick roadster  (Read 171889 times)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
Re: 1926 buick roadster
« Reply #465 on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Thanks guys. I did put a 1/2 inch block on top of the transverse spring, but it didn't raise up the front at all, so it looks like a set of smaller tread tires up front are gonna be needed to clear the lip of the fender. I moved the radiator shell to a  lower and back position, I liked better which meant I had to trim the front hood edges, an easy job since there were no folded metal edges to deal with.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:02:20 PM by ghost28 »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »
ghost that's one of the problems with pre 1930 cars, the wheels and tires used were so tall its hard to drop-em and get the tire fender right.  Might have to go 75 series tires,  less fat tread width.

Other alternative is if you have reversed the spring eyes on main spring is to have them un-reversed, usually good for 1 1/2 to 2"

give it some thought.  Oh ya , car is looking dynamite with hood mocked up.

mike   8)

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
Ghost it is looking awsome  what is your favourite colour  or are you going to leave it silver   vette59jdwl

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2015, 11:35:36 AM »
Ghost28 did you put shocks in the front on each side or not if not why not I was going over your early pictures and right where you placed the sway bar on the front would be a great place to mount a pair of shocks. In my case with the vette i wanted to pull the front end up fast and keep her up as long as possible so i went with a sett 90/10's.The shocks ride a little stiff at first but then you get use to them.Thought this might lift your front end a tad   vette59jdwl

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #469 on: November 12, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
Ghost it is looking awsome  what is your favourite colour  or are you going to leave it silver   vette59jdwl

Believe Ghosts car is actually 2 tone silver and grey.  Very difficult to see in pictures.

mike

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #470 on: November 12, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
 I haven't mounted any shocks yet but the sway bar mounting is not a bad idea, but I might try to find a good pair of knee action shocks for it. I did find some firestone blackwall tires through speedway that are about 100 bucks each. The tread width is about 4 1/2 inches  about 2 inches narrower than what is on there, and the tire height is the same as what I have now. Should solve the problem.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #471 on: November 12, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »
if YOU HAVE A STOCK BEAM AXLE OR A 40--54 CHEV 1/2 TON TRUCK BEAM YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO A SCHROEDER SWAY BAR AND ARMS.

NOT SURE IF YOU COULD USE 35 1/2" WIDE 7/8" SPLINED END .  OR WHETHER YOU WOULD NEED A CUSTOM WIDTH.  THEY DO SHOW UP ON EBAY ALONG WITH ARMS AND MOUNTING BRACKETS USUALLY THEY ARE USED FROM A DISBANDED NASCAR TEAM WHO COULD NOT GET A SPONSOR.

MY 35 CHEV COUPE WITH KUGEL IFS WITH 11/16 SWAY BAR AND REAR WITH SCHROEDER .850 SWAY BAR USED WITH JAG REAR REAR GOES AROUND CORNERS FLAT NO LEAN.  ALL PARTS BOUGHT OFF EBAY FOR ABOUT 1/4 OF NEW COST

SEE " SHAZZBOTT A 1935 CHEVROLET ROADSTER"  FILE IN THIS SAME SECTION AND ON PAGE 2 IT SHOWS THE BRACKETRY I MADE AND THE SWAY BAR FOR THE ROADSTER

MIKE          8)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:15:24 PM by madmike3434 »

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #472 on: November 12, 2015, 03:27:30 PM »
 I think like you smaller tires on the front By the way did you keep the original hanger that went from frame rail to frame rail,That captured the spring.Yes the one pictured If so you could probably capture a 2 inch riser out of this and keep all your geometry the same as is  vette59jdwl

Ps How much of a riser or how many inches do you have to raise the front of the frame without altering anything else

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #473 on: November 12, 2015, 04:02:06 PM »
Looking real good Ghost!

Yep, that front hit at 10:20am yesterday. Temps dropped from 53° to 42°in 30 mins. and the clouds rolled in. Supposed to get our first skiff of snow next tuesday.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #474 on: November 12, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
I think like you smaller tires on the front By the way did you keep the original hanger that went from frame rail to frame rail,That captured the spring.Yes the one pictured If so you could probably capture a 2 inch riser out of this and keep all your geometry the same as is  vette59jdwl

Ps How much of a riser or how many inches do you have to raise the front of the frame without altering anything else
I think the cross bar you are seeing is the original 40 ford sway bar that came with the axle, if so I haven't mounted it up yet. I made and have added a 5/8th inch block on top of the transverse spring set up that brought the frame up and away from the suspension the same 5/8th height and that amount is about all I can go with out changing geometry, but it still sits to low for the tires that are on it, keep in mind the tires don't rub, but I am sure they will when I go around a corner a little faster than I should or get someone in the car with me. Right now I think the best way is to change the front tires. It really shouldn't change the way the car sits or looks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:57:55 PM by ghost28 »

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #475 on: November 12, 2015, 08:21:55 PM »
In fitting the old girl with a new set of bifocals I learned a valuable lesson about paint, that is don't spray clearcoat over shiney paint and expect it to stick. DUH. The problem I had was putting tape on the windshield frame to set the glass, when the tape came off it stripped the clearcoat in chunks.  So now I have to carefully sand and recoat the frames. Thank God I have until spring to fix my screwups.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #476 on: November 12, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
OUCH! Well that bites, at least it's not the body.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #477 on: November 13, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »
   OK First off  I think in the begining you said you had a dropped axle  this might be your problem how much would you gain if you went with a conventional axle.
   Next if you placed a set of heavy duty shocks outboard on both ends of the axles how much lean would this prevent,and would it cure your problem with leaning
   And thirdly ( NO )  What i meant was in the first picture i sent  behind the mock up where you had the axle under the car but not fastened you ,showed the original crossmember and then in a few later pics you should the lowered crossmember that was cut out to accepted the frame rails  Maybe just maybe this is the point where you went just a tad to low. that and using a dropped axle was just to much  what do you think.  If you havent thrown out the original crossmember you could go back and utilize this cut down but not as low as the crossmember that you have in there now  the one that captures the transverse spring. This will raise the frame in essence raising the body   vette59jdwl

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #478 on: November 14, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Thanks Vette.  There isn't any severe lean on corners,  I built it with this ride height in mind, and the tires aren't rubbing at this time. so  instead of rebuilding the front end to change the ride height, the new narrower tread design tires would be the easiest and cheapest way to keep the look I want.
 Thanks again...John

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #479 on: November 14, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
I hope you guys don't get bored with me posting another video. This one is a little longer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyz6BfN6U-k

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal