Miscellaneous > Outdoors Area: Hunting, Fishing, Firearms, Camping, Hobbies, Videos etc

66 Schwinn Stingray

<< < (2/3) > >>

TFoch:
Nice bike!  I always wanted one of the "Crate" Stingrays when I was a kid but my folks couldn't afford it.  I had a Murray.

sammons:
Cool trike Rattiac!  The old man that owned our pool hall back in the 70s had a Schwinn factory trike, never thought about chopping one of those. He also had a Stingray with the 2-speed kickback shift. He lent it to me a couple times when i broke mine.

I got my first Stingray for my birthday in '65. Money was tight as dad had just bought a house. He picked up a second hand girls bike, cut off the upper girly bar and salvaged the upper bar from a dump frame. Painted it black with big silver flake to match the silver flake banana seat. It made it look more like the fastback that came out a year later. Fall of '66 my brother got a new Stingray copper color Fastback 5-speed for his birthday.

Like Chopper noted, in '67 dad showed me how to extend forks using bigger bike forks. But, he welded them on to my originals. Then i had to have the tall sissy bar and the racing slick, cool man,cool😁   Built and sold a lot of those in the early 70s to friends that couldn't build one.

sixball:
If it has wheels someone will hot rod it.  8)  Sometimes if it doesn't have wheels they'll put them on and then hot rod it.  ;D

62131:
Speaking of extending forks, I had a childhood friend who like to take things to the limit. When the fad of extending forks started, he took conduit 10' lengths flattened one end and cut a slot for the front wheel and slid the other end up over the forks. the rake on that thing was long. the turning radius was enormous. 

TFoch:
My Dad helped me put conduit on mine but not 10' maybe about 3'.  Still ride-able!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version