General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Recommend brake flaring took kit

(1/2) > >>

EDNY:
Just about ready to invest in a brake line flaring kit, I see Eastwood has a new turret style and there are also hand held hydraulic kits.  Have the traditional split clamp style...but not real happy with the flares on occasion.

What are you guys using?

madmike3434:
I also have the split metal brake flaring tool. I think a lot of the problem is that the tube cut is not smooth and causes cracking in the flair.

I was also looking at that EASTWOOD TOOL and its slick. Definitely a well engineered piece. Kinda of expensive for a one time use .

The part I did not like is that you have to purchase the special dies for $90 extra, to do AN aircraft fittings.  For the kind of $$$ involved it should have been part of it .

Luckily I have a friend who has one and no doubt will lend it too me when the time comes.

mike lynch  8)

sammons:
I'm using an old Blue-Point split bar tool also. I agree with Mike. My dad taught me to use a fine flat file to dress the cut prior to flaring, and not to torque down to much on the double flair. Of course today i'm sure the quality of the tubing comes into play.

I also looked at the Eastwood turret tool. Too spendy for me at this stage, (if I were 20 again, I sure would!)

TFoch:
I have the split bar tool too.  I found that by deburring the end with a countersink tool and the using scotch brite to clean the outside end I'm going to flare it works better.  But it is frustrating at times.  A better mouse trap would be welcome.

62131:
Try using the ni copp tubing, it flares much easier than the old steel line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version