Miscellaneous > Garage Gripes

Kinda... 27 Chev roadster.

<< < (2/10) > >>

ChevRon:

--- Quote from: TFoch on December 11, 2020, 11:48:40 AM ---Looking great Ron!  Doing the exhaust on my 33 was a fun project.  You figure it out after a while.
Tom

--- End quote ---
  Tom Thanks.. I know I love doing exhaust. Probably done 30 of them. Sometimes trying to make them "flow" is the hard part. Ron

ChevRon:

--- Quote from: chopper526 on December 11, 2020, 11:51:45 AM ---It's always fun doing things a second time! I had the same problem with the parallel leaf springs. I ended up taking out a couple leaves and having the eyes reversed (I can't tell in your pictures what you have). That got my front end as low as I wanted it.

--- End quote ---
  At least I hope to learn something the 2nd or third time around.. My front spring set up is goofy. Not using shackles created  a huge problem.. I post pictures later. Thanks Ron

sixball:
YES! Getting low with parallel springs is way tougher than a Ford setup. Are you using a Chevy pickup axle? Did you Z the front of your frame rails? On some of the old cars they either turned the rails around or added rear sections to the front to use the step up. Some put the springs outside of the rails. Some put the spring on top of the axle. I've been trying to plan this part for a long time. Mine can't be too low because there is the 2 miles of dirt road to deal with. The bottom line is that in order to support the front of the springs the axle has to be under the frame, no suicide option. Dropped axles can help but much more of a drop than the AD pickup axles looks goofy. You also can end up with the springs in the way of the steering links. I'm sure you know all of this.
Right now my plan is to modify a pickup  axle to mount on top of the spring and build spring packs that get me as low as possible before the axle hits the frame. The engine pan can be an issue. I have broken MANY lightened spring packs on my '53 pickup and there is a small dent in the pan from the axle. The truck is hardly noticeably lowered.

ChevRon:
  Frame is a modified 27 Chev. No kickup , not Z ed. After adding leafs and a wedge for caster to support the car "only had one leaf with a block in between spring and axle" It raised the front 1" and and left 2 1/2 " of clearance.
 Front is little higher that I want, but don't have much choice other than putting axle in the mill and cutting groove for the  springs to set in. Being it is a light car  I think the axle would still be strong enough. I would add strength by adding some 1/4" plate under the spring in the front and rear of the axle . Axle has already been narrowed 7 1/4". so its already been welded. Probably won't do it. I'll see how well it drives first.
  My road is bad enough I'll have to haul it to the hiway anyway..
 A couple pics

Rattiac:
This might help. Off-roaders have been using these "slider boxes" , it eliminates the shackle and allows the spring to slide front to back during spring travel.
It may effect castor angles if stock axle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version