General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

License Plate Frame

(1/1)

Senior31:
Okay guys I need some advice/opinions.  I bought my Dad an Ohio 1933 license plate for his '33.  The only problem is that these plates were 6"x14" instead of the stand 6"x12" that they are today.  My plan was to make a custom license plate frame out of aluminum for him, but I don't know what to do with the back of the plate.  I believe most guys just paint the back of the plates black, but I want to do something a little nicer.

My first thought was to make a two piece license plate frame that would sandwich the plate.  So, basically the front would look like a stand license plate frame, but then the mounting holes would be transfered to a back plate (also made of aluminum) with tapped holes.  I would then use a countersunk screw to hold them together.  My concern with this idea is the weight.  I am not sure that the factory bracket on the tail light stand will support this idea. 

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be extremely helpful!  Thanks!  I am modeling it up now and will have some pics shortly

Senior31:
Okay here are the pics.  The frame would be 3/8" thick and the back plate would be 1/8".  I know that this is pretty thick, but until I receive the plate I will not know how deep the stamping of the letters and the lip around the plate are currently.  Once I am able to measure this I might be able to make the frame a little thinner, but I don't know how much.  Just let me know what you guys think.

TFoch:
You could make the back piece out of lexan and paint it on the inside.  That would be light in weight and with the paint on the inside it wouldn't scratch the paint.
Tom

themoose:
Tom has a good idea with the plastic to save weight. If you want to get fancy you could try some acrylic mirror sheet. Take a look at this site     http://www.interstateplastics.com/Acrylic-Mirror-Clear-Extruded-Mirror-Sheet-ACRCLEE.php?vid=&priceit.x=14&priceit.y=8

Moose

Senior31:
Thanks for the ideas guys!  Tom, the lexan is a great idea.  Moose, the mirror acrylic would add a nice touch!  Thanks for the input!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version