Author Topic: What To Do With All That Wood  (Read 17785 times)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
What To Do With All That Wood
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Having worked for the past 5 years replacing the wood in my 33 I figured the forum needed a thread to share ideas on how to replace wood in all our Chevys.  Some may want to replace it with new wood while others like myself may decide to replace it with steel.  If you have any pictures of what you did that might help others show us your ideas.  Here are a few pictures of the "skeleton" I fabricated to replace the wood in mine.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: What To Do With All That Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »
Tom

That is a unique way of framing up the car...looks like a lot planning, measuring, cutting and welding! Very professional looking!

I have my 33 chopped (5) window framed up with 1" (.095) tubing from the floor, up through the A pillar, over the door frame to the B pillar. Plan to run the 1" tube down through the B pillar to the floor. The dash is boxed in with 1" tubing (top & bottom) plan on running the 1" across the roof between A pillars above windshield and across above the rear window.  Using gussets wherever I can weld them so I wind up with something like a roll cage built inside the body panels.

Ed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:35:34 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »
The A & B pillar were made by copying the original wood.  I used 1/8" thick sheet metal to fabricate a copy of the original wood.  The rest was done with 1" square tubing.  When you don't have any blue prints you try to be creative and make it the best way you know.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »
Usually on most of my builds the wood is long gone and I decided a long time ago wood working  is not in my expert area. I usually use 1 inch  by 2 inch steel along the sub floor and for the interior I use 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch steel square tubing for all the support pieces including the door support . I usually can bend most of the steel using my vise and body weight. So far it's worked on numerous early chevrolet cars and hopefully on a few more. On most of my structures I box the original frame front to back and add new support and cross members.
The wood is good for the fire place. ;)

Keep up the good work guys

BIG-JIM

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
I got lucky on the wife's 33 master. All the wood was replaced before I purchased it from a guys estate. I just have to do the doors. The floors were also all replaced with 16g steel. Damn car is built like a brick outhouse it is.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
My car had almost no wood left when I got it. I took a look at what some other guys did and asked some questions. Everyone was really helpful!! I made subframe rail templates out of 2X3 lumber. Then I transfered that to 2X3 steel tubing. I tacked them into the body according to how I wanted the body to sit on the frame. Then I threw in a couple crossmembers, and a subframe kick-up over the rear wheelwells and then just started building up from there with 1" square tubing. I put in plenty of cross supports and gussets, I think, and it is incedibly sturdy and much cheaper than the cost of new wood.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:51 PM »
Here's a couple more. :) :)
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
Some great referenence stuff...wish I had it when I started my 33. 

BIG JIM... I need to build the reinforcement that wraps around the rear window and connects to the hinge support as yours is in the picture. The garnish will then connect to the reinforcement.  How did they construct that framework that wraps around the rear window? It kinda looks like a channel?

Thanks

Ed

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
Most of my wood was pretty good when I got the car but the wood for the rear panel below the deck lid was rotted and had to be  fabricated and replaced and the upper rear cab corners were also replaced. I have the Fisher body manuals for the 32 so I was able to use the drawings to create patterns for the new wood that I made for those areas. When I was finished with the wood replacement I used a two part wood hardener that soaks into the grain and strengthens the wood to treat the entire wood framing and then finished it with clear urethane.It's probably overkill but I never want to have to deal with it again!

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

jocko

• Rookie
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
I think the wood makes the Chevies unique so when I did the research I found out the original wood was Ash same as baseball bats. The main rails, rear window wood and top lattice was bad on my coupe so I found a guy in Indiana that reproduces most Chevy wood. His information is; Auto Wood Restoration-James Rodman-219-797-3775-Hanna, Indiana. Hope this helps someone.

hrkhotrods

• Rookie
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 04:38:38 AM »
I was fortunate enough to find a couple of guys that are in the process of restoring their 29' Chevy roadsters and I had them make paper patterns of their floor sills and A&B pillars for me. I was also able to obtain some flexible tape patterns of the door jamb area. I am going to replicate the wood in steel and am making hammer forms for the jambs and inner door. I will update with some pics when I actually have some progress to show. I have to make room in the garage before I can start anything...
Wanted: 29-31 Chevy roadster windshield posts

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 12:03:28 AM »
Thanks to all of you for this. I didn't even know where to start. Now I have a plan. ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

YBNORML

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
Great info guys.

The wood in my coach is in fantastic condition. I really don't want to remove it. Any idea how it will hold up against a mildly built smallblock? I also plan on chopping the car about 4-5". I am a carpenter by trade so modifying the wood while chopping the roof won't be an issue.

I think the wood is part of what makes the car so unique against the sea of Model A's out there.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »
My 34 three window is an 80's build 307/350THM and still has the original wood in the body and doors and holding up fine.

I have an original 1933 Chevrolet magazine ad that states..the cars are built with Fisher hardwood and steel contruction - "the strongest in use today".

Here is a neat link to an early Chevrolet souvenir book describing the "modern construction" techniques used to assemble the new Chevrolet.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1933_Chevrolet/The_Making_of_a_Motor_Car_Booklet/dirindex.html

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
I don't have much Chevy wood experience but in another life I a few wooden station wagons. The wood it's self is strong enough if you can keep the joints tight. There are probably products that could help. I bet the wooden boat guys know how to keep good wood good. I want to keep some wood in my roadster. I have a friend here that owns a custom cabinet shop with a CNC machine.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal