Author Topic: Rear Leaf Springs  (Read 12005 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Rear Leaf Springs
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
I wish it was that simple. It's not all on my property and some is on US Government land (like 86% of Nevada). :(
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 06:53:48 PM »
Vette, I have 5 leaves in the front and six in the back. The car rides great for me.....so far, I only have a couple hundred miles on it.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sedan1933

• Rookie
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
Sorry for the late comment but I am Glen Rarick's son and I can't remember how wide the tephlon is but I did a set of leafs for a 1935 roadster and I had to cut about half an inch off the width. I usually cut them as close as I can then put them together and trim extra off and touch up with paint and I believe I used 5 leafs also. I cut the tephlon about a 1/4 inch longer than the sprint on each one. We are not using leaf springs in the front. I don't really know if this is the right way to do it but that is the way dad showed me. I am only 39 so I am still learning everything so any knowledge I can pick up here would be greatly appreciated. thank you

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
Sorry for the late comment but I am Glen Rarick's son and I can't remember how wide the tephlon is but I did a set of leafs for a 1935 roadster and I had to cut about half an inch off the width. I usually cut them as close as I can then put them together and trim extra off and touch up with paint and I believe I used 5 leafs also. I cut the tephlon about a 1/4 inch longer than the sprint on each one. We are not using leaf springs in the front. I don't really know if this is the right way to do it but that is the way dad showed me. I am only 39 so I am still learning everything so any knowledge I can pick up here would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Welcome to the forum.. suspect that I drive by your Bowtie Shop in Theresa en route to my son's house also in LaFargeville? He lives down the road from your dad.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sedan1933

• Rookie
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 06:28:06 PM »

Welcome to the forum.. suspect that I drive by your Bowtie Shop in Theresa en route to my son's house also in LaFargeville? He lives down the road from your dad.

Ed

I work right out of my dads shop. All the cars I will be doing are his and most will be sold. I do all his sandblasting and about 2 yrs ago I started learning how to actually build them and love every minute of it. should have started 20 years ago. As soon as I learn how to do it I will be posting cars for sale. they are all projects but full cars not missing much. This is a great site for someone like me that wants to learn and there seems to be years of experience here. I will definitely be a permanent fixture here lol

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Welcome aboard.Glenn and I are buddy's across the pond

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »
You can help your dad move some parts on this forum also...I have been in the shop and have seen some of the inventory :P

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 08:32:30 PM »
FYI Only:

I found the best price online for the "leaf spring inserts" at Rock Auto

http://www.rockauto.com/

As an example you can search Rock Auto by part number 924070

These are the set of (4) leaf spring inserts for the 95-2005 Blazer and others at $5.09 plus $4.81 priority postage...best price I could find.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
Welcome aboard sedan1933, let's see some pics of what you are working on.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
Thanks ED i am looking into that  ,and also going to round the ends on the springs when it comes time to redo the rear end and also the front end  thanks again  vette59jdwl

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
  Sedan1933. Would that be the PONTIAC sedan delivery  you are calling yourself after or something else. We keep missing each other maybe this Friday. I should be at your dads place before noon .I have to go over to the watering hole  lol lol vette59jdwl.
  Ps I have to find me a timing chain for a Yamaha Kodiak 400 so i think my first stop will be Can-am Evans Mills   vette59jdwl

sedan1933

• Rookie
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:35 AM »
I have a 1933 Chevrolet Master Sedan that I got from my dad last fall. Have not worked on that yet trying to get some of his stuff done first and get money to build my own. I did a lot of work on that sedan delivery tho and will be putting it back together now that it isn't sold. We hope to have him driving that this summer if everything goes as planned. I will post some pictures of the things we are working on as soon as I can get some taken. We have someone else that does some for him as well and that guy is finishing up a 1932 landow phaeton and then he will be finishing up a 1956 2 dr hardtop Belair for him. The 1956 will be for sale as soon as it is done. For anyone that doesn't know Glen we have around 80 to 85 cars and LOTS of parts so please if you need anything give him a call or shoot me a message and I will talk with him and look around. I would like to get as many cars out there as we can because a lot of the younger generation(by younger I mean younger than me) show no interest and its going to be a lost art someday. Sorry for all the typing but when it comes to cars I can talk for hours.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 11:41:37 AM »
Well Sedan1933. I dont think that will ever happen  street rods, hotrods, and restomads is American as apple pie.North America would have to be over run by South Africa and maybe mongolia before streetrods would be deleted and that is not going to happen any time soon..OH I think we do go through phases.like anything else times are low or times are tough,our priorities change but then they bounce back and we get at it again.The stuff,parts,junk,clutter your dad has will always be worth its weight in gold,especially with the internet so cloose at hand.In the blink of an eye i can contact some guy in California.and in 60 seconds or less i can give a guy ion conneticut the price of whatever hes looking for.I have some contact here in CANADA that have as much if not more than your dad and older stuff as well. and that stuff isn't going anywhere soon,Mind you at 70 plus the only thing thats going anywhere would be me. The clock keeps ticking  oh well we all have our little secretes and mine is in LaFargville   vette59jdwl

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 01:31:01 PM »
when it comes to vintage parts or cars its always about $$$$$$$$$  .  Anybody can ASK whatever they want, but doesn't mean its going to get sold.

There is a lot of dreamers out there with unrealistic price expectations.  We all run into them.  One only has to watch AMERICAN PICKERS on a weekly basis to see asking prices on some items is PIE IN SKY ideas.

mike          8)

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 05:50:29 PM »
I could not agree more MIKE  i was needing  a timing chain for a Yamaha Kodiac 400  there was one in Montreal the guy would not take canadian money wanted $19 us and $19 us to ship it and $5.30 taxes came to $45 bucks US and i purchased it out of the US for $20 US and free shipping  GO FIGURE   vette59jdwl

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal