Author Topic: How far back can you trace your cars  (Read 7609 times)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
How far back can you trace your cars
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »
I was digging through some old pictures and papers that I recieved when I bought the buick and found a copy of a title for it from back in 1934, when a man purchased it in New England North Dakota. He had it sitting around until 1979 when he sold the mostly complete carcas that was rotting in a field to a man in Colorado Springs that was going to restore it. Who knows what happened to that plan,  :'(  but he took a lot of pictures and documented the build for awhile. I ended up with it a few years ago. I hope to keep it for awhile, but I am wondering if I should contact the man in Colorado Springs. He might not like the hotrod direction I took with it.  :-\

• Master Deluxe
Re: How far back can you trace your cars
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:27:32 PM »
I have documentation on my 38 all the way back to the original owner who sold the car to a guy in Kansas. He showed it in local show as I have news paper articles on it and him that was given to me by the guy I bought it from.  He was the third owner of the car and he is the one who started building a street rod out of it. I purchased it 4 years ago completely disassembled the car and built it the way I wanted it. :) ;D

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:48:30 PM »
Ghost I would not even go down that road.......non of his business what you have done with the buick. He might even get hostile at it.

My 35 chev 3 window coupe I can trace back to 1962 when my friend frank purchased it and later drove to high school in it with a GMC 305 ? six.  He sold it to me in 1970 and has regretted it ever since.  Has never even sat in it thru 2 complete rebuilds last one from 1996 to 2000.

mike..... 8)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
I wish I knew about the history of my car, but the only thing I fount was the job number and manufacturer location stamped of the wood below the rear seat.

It has a replacement Vin number in the drivers door jam where is was registered in Ca,

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
I got my '70 Blazer new. I had to sell my '49 pickup to get it so I replaced it with my '53 in '73. We are 3rd owners of our '62 Porsche and have had it sense '70. I can trace my '26 to spare parts from the Harrah's collection. Bill Anderson, owner of the Ponderosa Ranch at Tahoe, got it when the Harrah collection was split up. I got it from the guy who got it from Bill. I looked at it for years sitting in Bill's yard. The only other thing I know about it is that it was built in the assembly plant in Oakland. California.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 03:54:10 PM »
I do know my 30 Coach was built in Kansas City.

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:12:40 PM »
I got my '32 from a friend who bought it in 1967. Now I'm going to have to call him and see how far back he can go........
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »
   Its funny this came up Let me explain Our 32 chevy roadster sat in the gm dealers showroom almost all of 1932. When the fellow that owned the dealership in 1932 in Napanee gave this car to his sister for a graduation present. She graduated nursing collage in Toronto that year.and she moved home to Amherest Island where her parents lived.She kept the car for many years until it fell into disrepair.Then It was chopped at the rear fenders and the rumble seat was taken out and a platform put in its place.It was used to haul milk cans across the river to the mainland.Then after 5 years it moved down river to Simcoe Island where it did the same job for the next 8 years It also towed a stone bolt with milk cans on that across the ice. Then she was stored at Robert Ores the Lighthouse keeper. That's where i bought her 46 ago. And she has stayed in my family ever since.It must have been Gods will ,for many cars and trucks have gone through the ice including horses and humans,.Why this old chevy never went through the ice is beyond me.Vette59jdwl

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:05:57 PM »
All I know is I purchased it in pieces in Oregon.  The guy I bought it from said he purchased all the parts from an estate.  It had no chassis or cowl tag.  I bought the chassis from a guy in Massachusetts that was parting out a four door sedan.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
   Its funny this came up Let me explain Our 32 chevy roadster sat in the gm dealers showroom almost all of 1932. When the fellow that owned the dealership in 1932 in Napanee gave this car to his sister for a graduation present. She graduated nursing collage in Toronto that year.and she moved home to Amherest Island where her parents lived.She kept the car for many years until it fell into disrepair.Then It was chopped at the rear fenders and the rumble seat was taken out and a platform put in its place.It was used to haul milk cans across the river to the mainland.Then after 5 years it moved down river to Simcoe Island where it did the same job for the next 8 years It also towed a stone bolt with milk cans on that across the ice. Then she was stored at Robert Ores the Lighthouse keeper. That's where i bought her 46 ago. And she has stayed in my family ever since.It must have been Gods will ,for many cars and trucks have gone through the ice including horses and humans,.Why this old chevy never went through the ice is beyond me.Vette59jdwl
Now that is some history! 8)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 01:35:09 PM »
 Tom  that fellow you bought the frame from that wouldn't happen to be Rob Cummings now would it

letalley1

• Rookie
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »
The previous owner of my '30 started a restoration in '94, lost interest & let it sit outside unprotected for 10 years when I picked it up.  Before '94 the only thing I know about it is from these receipts I found in the trunk.

redsshed77

• Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:48:51 PM »
my 31 was from penn,bought in early 90s,went to ri to a farm.someone saw it there and had to have it.it stayed in ri but owner wanted it his way,dissassembled it,were it sat outside and deteriorated.owner sold it to a shop where they started doing work,which is where i came in.someone that actually cares for chevys...

my 37 gmc was purchased in pieces on a farm in vt (late 70s)were it had sat in their barn for who knows how long.that owner assembled it with a flatbed and a ford 289 motor,trans and rear.sold to a man in fram mass in 81 who drove it that way till early 90s.use to take it down the mass pike into boston to work.sat for 10 years before i purchesed it and made it my ratrod in about 06.

my 59 apache was purchased out of las vegas 11 years ago and sat in a dirt lot till i purchased last year and and got driving again.does have California dealer sticker on door jam....coast to coast truck.

my 68 chevelle i purchased this fall but has spent its life in mass in one family and only driven 29k.

my 58 vett carcass was purchased before me in 68 already crashed numerious times with 6 paint jobs.rough 10 years.it sat in his back yard since 68 untill i purchased it in 2012.now it sits in my yard.lol

my 81 monte was given to me when i was 18 (1994)from second owner who purchased it used in 82.i did tons too it as any teenager would.tore it appart again in my mid 20s and not finishing till i was 32.now it sits with a 1970 pontiac 400,ford 9in.nicest car i have that i havent driven in years.funny how that works.....

lots more too each story but dont want too bore you or take up too much space

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 08:58:55 PM »
Tom  that fellow you bought the frame from that wouldn't happen to be Rob Cummings now would it
No some other guy south of Boston.

Redsshed77, Not boring you have some cool cars and trucks.  Show us some pics.
Tom
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:03:53 PM by TFoch »
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

redsshed77

• Rookie
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
here are the girls

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal