Author Topic: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster  (Read 53672 times)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2015, 05:21:09 PM »
Got one off ebay for $136.50 awaiting its arrival. Will have to build a separate stand to mount it on and a base 36--40" high.

Its going to come in handy when I heat up the frame side rails to take out the low spots.

mike            8)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
Spring is in the air, temps going up , time to take the 35 Chevrolet standard frame , that's sitting in front of my garage doors and dismantle it. Plus take all the stuff that was piled on top for last 2 years , off.

So 3 trips to the recycling dump later , all the wood, foam mattress, 35 front axle with brakes, front and rear springs get disposed of and assorted other stuff.

Here we have a 35 standard series frame and it has approximately 189..... 3/8" steel rivets holding it together.

After firing up the 5" grinder with a new flapper disc , I proceed to take the rivet head down even with the frame.  Then , with a 1/2" long drift tapered down to 3/16"  top ,  whack the rivet head that's left driving it out.  After you go front to back on one side then switch over too the other, finally flipping the frame over , bottom side up.  When all the rivets are removed the 14 frame pieces can be pulled apart and placed into storage in the garage.

It appears that somebody has been doing some crazy driving and actually cracked the frame on both sides right where the back mount of the front springs are attached.   You can see what passes for welding actually covering the crack, yet the crack cannot be viewed on the inside of the frame.

This is going to be a consult Mr Rick the welder about how to brace this properly before taking the weld off the surfaces and doing it right.   This will be a spare frame just in case anything happens to my 35 coupe or roadster. 

The inner part of the X member front has had somebody hacking away to install a hydraulic master cylinder to the pedal assembly.  Luckily I have one on the chassis that's going under the roadster to copy and repair.  I also have another front inner x piece to cut up to get those nice flared holes.

So here is some pictures of the various areas showing unexplainable damage. ????  Somebody who did all this damage in either Argentina or Kentucky , should have a foot in the nards.

mike       8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 10:53:45 AM by madmike3434 »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »
more pictures

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »
and more pictures

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
Not so bad, Mike. I think that's a beefy frame, you could fix that up.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 06:11:31 PM »
Now Mike lets not make the boys from Kentucky mad. As you should not talk about others talents and ass u me someone from Kentucky did the damage.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 07:49:16 PM »
Unfortunately I do have to assume that the damage was done in tenn / ky as that's where the car when imported from Argentina back in 1990 era spent all its time until I purchased it in 2012.

Plus the moron father and son team whom I spent talking to and asking very specific questions for over an hour each, lied to me like Nixon did about everything.

"No bondo in fenders" they each said, well they had 1/2" thick bondo on top and 1/4"--3/8" of tar brushed underneathe. And on and on and on.  They went to the dump as un-saveable.  The rumble seat lid was made out of angle iron with sheet metal formed over it that was coated with 3/8"---1/2" thick.  Too raise up low areas they whacked the inside of the lid with an arc welding CHIPPING HAMMER.

BASICALLY ALL THAT SURVIVES OF THAT CAR IS THE ORIGINAL CHASSIS, THE BODY ITSELF MINUS A RUMBLE LID, THE ROADSTER TOP HARDWARE AND THE WINDSHIELD.

Maybe it was the Kentucky guys, maybe it was the Tennessee guys, maybe it was the Argentina guys........whoever did this mess should be kicked in the nards and have both arms removed at the shoulder so they could never damage a vintage Chevrolet again .

I rest my case of hate and am heading off to my anger management session !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike.................................... 8)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »
Good luck in your session, I understand you being upset about being lied to but blaming someone and not sure who is at fault is just wrong. I also hate to see a car damaged ,but its up to guys like us to put them back the best we can as everybody doesn't have the love or caring of these works of art as I call them. 

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
just for the record I have had more trouble buying parts for my cars from Kentucky and tenn ,  that I end up being unhappy with.

No personal slight intended , but there is some dishonest people in that area.

A guy on the dealers list here, dale stevens in Frankfort KY selling on ebay under the name DESOLDCAR is one.

I am directly pointing the finger at him and other Chevrolet owners 34-35 I know are not happy with their dealing' s with him at all.

mike lynch........... 8)

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
Mike ...I don't think you can condemn a particular region or area just because you've had poor dealings with a couple of individuals from that location.  I'm sure there are any number of people who could tell us about positive transaction from those same areas. Like all things in life, its the luck of the draw. If your neighbor is a bank robber that doesn't make you one... I've found in general that most people try to do the right thing.

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
Moose I agree, but since Mike has had bad dealings with Mr. Stevens from Frankfort Ky. now the word is out and people will be apprehensive about purchasing  parts from him.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster, new rear window
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
Was looking at my MAIL SLOT rear roadster window frame that the ford guys use and questioned a couple of them at recent meets about seeing out of that mail slot rear window.  Their response is that they cannot see hardly anything but they look cool, agreed.  But I like to watch whats coming up behind me so I can take evasive action if I have too.

I started out with an original old stock 33--35 chevy closed car glass rear window , same as whats in my 35 std coupe.  Made a template out of cardboard, then cut that down by 4" end to end and then sliced 1 1/4" out of the top to bottom.  From there I constructed a 1/8"  thick Masonite/brownboard template.  I got to get out the :  bandsaw,  drill press, 6x48 belt sander and the rigid belt sander on its side.  Too smoooooth all those edges

I took the pattern to a place that does high pressure water jet cutting . To my dismay the system does not use a tracer to put the shape needed into the computer and the pattern had to be hand drawn.......yikes.

I used 1/8" aluminum on the top and bottom pieces and 1/4" thick in the middle, like a sandwich.  The middle will be same thickness as the laminated glass.  I determined that a spacing of 4" between 10/32 countersunk allen heads.  Out comes the special drill bit and the tap and the aluminum tapping fluid.

After everything was screwed and tapped together, I got to use the various belt sanders and drum sander to smooth the inside and the outside edges because it was not a smooth edge as I had built into the pattern for the water jet .   

After I spent 2 ......6 hour days refining the edges I took it apart and did the 1/4" inner aluminum piece so the glass guy can cut and fit the glass to the inner part.

I based the roadster rear window size by visually looking at my coupes roof with window and figuring out how much smaller I can make it and still have a high rear visibility out thru it.  I need to figure out how to round over the sharp edges without interfering with the countersunk Allen heads.

When the glass comes back with the frame I am going to try to find somebody that still does old time cutting in the flowers in the glass.  A 60--70's open car trend.

mike lynch

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: SHAZZBOTT a 1935 chevrolet standard roadster pt 2
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »
a few more pictures of the rear window.

The window frame will be sanded with a vibrator with 400 grit paper on it and eventually powder coated a satin black or stainless steel colour

mike
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:42:08 PM by madmike3434 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
Nice work! That will look great.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:02 PM »
MadMike3434  I like the looks  who cares if you can see out the back or not  It would be way cheaper to install a permanent camera and about a 7 inch dash cam.  Now Your Talking Man  vette59jdwl

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal