Classified - PARTS For Sale - Wanted > 1940's later Chevy/GM PARTS Wanted/For Sale

need flywheel

<< < (2/2)

trbomax:
Question at this point is how many tooth wheel do I need. I guess I could count the flex plate teeth and see what works. Only problem with that is that the motors are 300 miles south in my old shop!

EDNY:

--- Quote from: trbomax on June 16, 2013, 07:50:33 PM ---Question at this point is how many tooth wheel do I need. I guess I could count the flex plate teeth and see what works. Only problem with that is that the motors are 300 miles south in my old shop!

--- End quote ---

Someone may jump in...but I would think you want the 168 tooth unit, bigger and more clutch area.

The 153 tooth is smaller in diameter and I doubt they made one for the 454 anyway. The 153 is smaller in diameter, lighter and better suited for high rev engines.

I'm sure your 454 had a 168 tooth unit.....not sure which hydraulic unit you are using and if it's compatible.

themoose:
The only size flywheel used on the production  454 was the larger 168 teeth version because of that needed extra weight on one side for balance purposes. Production engines never got the smaller 153 teeth flywheel. That being said I believe that there was an over the counter  153 tooth flywheel for the big blocks offered by GM that was 153 tooth but because of it's smaller diameter it required a smaller clutch and different starter. As Ed said your better off using the larger flywheel for a number or reasons. Depending on what bell housing you have you might want to check to make sure it will accept with the larger flywheel. Most will but from what I understand some will not

Moose

trbomax:
  I used this bellhousing in the car when it was a small block. Its iron,open bottom,and has the tapped holes for the clutch slave. It has the motor mounts on the side,but I didnt use them.I used a 11" clutch with it,so I must need a 168t wheel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version