Author Topic: Minor make automobiles  (Read 1723 times)

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
Minor make automobiles
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
Here is a quote from a old car book.
( The 30's were full of american makes and companies other than the larger well known makers. Most of the minor makers were finished off by the prevailing depression. Some of them had ventured into making passenger cars in an attempt to salvage what was left of there fortunes; some were remnants of once great companies; others were independents without the financial protection of GM or a Ford or a Chrysler. A few, like Jordan,  dupont, Kissel, and Mercer, were cars that inspired the imagination of Americans in years past. And the loss of those makes, in particularwas regrettable.)  I guess what I am asking from you guys is do you remember some information about all the car makers that tried but failed in the 30's I do have a list and lots if info about some of these makes.  I will post a few of them as we go.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Minor make automobiles
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
Ghost somewhere I have an old Kansas tax value for registration fees from I believe the late 20's. It had more old manufactuers than I had ever heard of. Some were local somewhat. I remember Wichita, Kansas City, Tulsa, Oklahoma City as home to some. Haven't seen it in a couple years but i'll look. It was really interesting.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Sammons  found you this.......AUTOMOTIVE MANUFACTURING
In the early twentieth century, as Americans made a transition from horse-drawn buggies and wagons to motorcars and trucks, automobile manufacturing emerged in Oklahoma. Before the making of cars became an organized process under Henry Ford's tutelage, a few creative individuals were producing various models. For instance, in 1909 an independent automaker briefly operated a shop in Frederick in Tillman County. Soon larger-scale, assembly-line factories began to appear in the state.
In June 1917 a group of Oklahoma City business leaders, headed by James M. Aydelotte of the State Board of Affairs and Floyd Thompson of the Ozark Trails Highway Association, formed the Midland Motor Car and Truck Company. They sold stock in order to construct a plant south of town; they planned to make the Oklahoma Six passenger car and a truck called the Ozark. They anticipated producing three cars and seven trucks per day. However, World War I interrupted the plans. The plant was constructed in 1918, and in October it began making trucks under a U.S. Army contract. After the war the company had to be reorganized due to financial mismanagement and the indictment of two of its stock salesmen for embezzlement. The federal contract was cancelled. In October 1919 the Wichita Motors Company, a Texas concern that manufactured trucks, bought the plant and produced the Wichita model truck there, into 1922.
Similarly, other small manufacturers produced automobiles in the early part of the twentieth century. Oklahoma Auto Manufacturing Company, established in a factory near Okay and North Muskogee in 1915 by C. E. Harris, built heavy-duty O. K. oil-field trucks in the World War I era. The operation folded during the Great Depression. In the 1910s and 1920s the W. R. Lantz Manufacturing and Supply Company of Muskogee made car and truck bodies, as well as bodies for hearses and ambulances. In Enid, William C. Allen and other entrepreneurs from around the state established the Geronimo Motor Company and incorporated it in mid-1917. By June of that year the firm had taken orders for fifty cars, and by September a thirty-thousand-square-foot factory had been constructed. It made tractors, a roadster, and a five-passenger, full-size automobile. After building one thousand cars that were distributed by agencies in Kansas, Nebraska, West Texas, and Oklahoma, Geronimo ended production in 1920 when the factory burned. The Tulsa Automobile Corporation capitalized in 1917 at $2 million with T. J. Hartman, president of the Producers State Bank of Tulsa, as president. Grant Stebbins, of the Gladys Bell Oil Company, was a director. By 1918 the company was producing the "Tulsa Four," a thirty-five-horsepower automobile. It was available with a four-cylinder engine and by 1921 with a six-cylinder. The factory produced ten cars per day that were distributed through dealers in Tulsa and Oklahoma City.
Major automobile manufacturing corporations have also maintained a lengthy presence in the state. In 1915 Ford Motor Company constructed an assembly plant in downtown Oklahoma City. The factory opened in August 1916 and soon produced its first cars for regional distribution. It employed 350 workers at its peak of operation. As the car industry suffered the effects of the Great Depression, in 1931 Ford reorganized the facility as a regional parts depot. It endured through 1967 and then closed. General Motors constructed an Oklahoma City assembly plant in 1977–79, the corporation's largest at that time. The first models, front-wheel-drive Chevrolet Citations and Pontiac Phoenixes, came off the line in April of 1979. At its peak employing five thousand, the plant was scheduled to cease production in 2006.
After World War I ended, automotive-related manufacturing came to include the tire industry. In 1919 the U.S. Compression Inner Tube Company constructed a plant between Sand Springs and Tulsa. It manufactured a "puncture proof" inner tube and automobile tires during the 1920s. B. F. Goodrich maintained a plant at Miami from 1945 to mid-1986. Three other tire plants operated in the state in the mid-twentieth century. Dayton Tire, a subsidiary of Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, opened a thirty-two-acre plant in Oklahoma City in 1969, and Uniroyal Goodrich constructed a plant in Ardmore in 1970. By 1973 the three produced more than fifteen million tires a year. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company constructed a plant in Lawton in 1979. By the twenty-first century there were five makers of new tires, employing 6,755 workers.
Other auto parts have also been made in the state. In 1938 Fred Jones of Oklahoma City opened an automotive products plant there, and through the twentieth century the Fred Jones Manufacturing Company served as a Ford Motor Company authorized parts reconditioner. Unit Parts Corporation, a division of Borg Warner, maintained a remanufacturing plant for starters and alternators in Oklahoma City from the 1970s. In March 2005 the plant was purchased by Remy International, Incorporated. In 1972 Gabriel Ride Control, manufacturers of shocks and struts, a division of Arvin Industries headquartered in Tennessee, opened a plant in Chickasha. Into the twenty-first century Gabriel has made shock absorbers and struts for automobiles and trucks.

vette59jdwl

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 10:28:47 AM »
  Can't believe I found it that Quick! I guess it was for 1922. Pages really good shape.

They are all listed in alphabetical order, trucks also. I didn't realize how heavy some of these old cars were. :o 1916-19 Locomobile model 48 Landau (5,609lbs.) 1915-19 Pierce-Arrow model 66-A Landau (6,017lbs.) It must have been scary trying to brake fast at speed!  :o

If anyone wants me to look up a specific one, let me know.

Vette, interesting.

**Add**
I just counted the cars only in my Rate Book(through model year 1922). There is 122 different automakers listed. If anyone would like me to post them, I will. May take a bit for me to do on the phone.lol  I didn't know that (for example) Case and Chalmers made cars.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:50:17 AM by sammons »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal