Author Topic: 1932 Pontiac Six build  (Read 162086 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Re: 1932 Pontiac Six build
« Reply #735 on: September 06, 2023, 11:51:06 PM »
Yep. 😉
New rubber trans mount is in. Also wired in a green led toggle switch for the O.D.
Kinda like a "eco" button on a modern car. 😄
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #736 on: September 10, 2023, 10:42:44 AM »
After messing with the speedo.  I took the gear out and went to the transmission shop,  he gave me a new gear that looked like a better square drive.  Brought it home ran a few tests with the multimeter.
It failed.
So I ordered a new pulse generator.  This time the 16c unit.  It's the 90° unit for tight fit area's.  I was told it's a more heavy duty unit. Should be here tomorrow.
Filled it back up with atf and went for a drive.  What a difference with the new rubber trans mount.  No vibration anymore. 😎
The car did great.  Also tried the lockup.  When I flipped the switch I couldn't feel any difference.  I'll contact the trans shop again  .
Pics from a old gas station just outside of town.

I have PTSD.

Essex_29

• Stovebolt
« Reply #737 on: September 11, 2023, 02:10:04 PM »
Nice that you got rid of the vibration issue!
The lock up on my Pontiac quit working when standing in winter storage. A couple times it
has engaged the lock up, but only for a couple seconds, so I assume it's the solenoid that has gone bad.
When I removed the ecu on my '84 Caprice I had to make a switch to engage the lock up. I connected it
so that when the brake lights light up, the lock up disengages. Also,when pushing the switch the other
way it frees the lock up for passing a car or driving up a steep incline. It took two relays and a diode to
make this work.

That Pontiac looks cool!

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #738 on: September 23, 2023, 09:58:04 PM »
I got the new pulse generator for the speedometer but when I went to bolt it on today and the nut wasn't deep enough to thread on. 🤬
Ya think buying the better part would be the same depth threads but no.  Another engineer to kick in the teeth.
Summit will issue my return Monday morning.

Next part will be new rear axle studs.  The shop that redrilled the bolt pattern for some strange reason just threaded in bolts.  They work until you unbolt the wheel.  Had to put lock washers behind the bokts/studs to prevent that , but one is buggered up now and so they have to go. 

Also the saltflats received more rain Thursday and are flooded again so... world finals is canceled.  Was so looking forward to working with that team.  Next year.

On good/exiting news. 
Going fishing with my dad tomorrow.  He's feeling good enough to leave the house after 6 months.  😊🎣
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 10:09:34 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #739 on: September 24, 2023, 11:06:33 AM »
Speedos are generally a pain in the ass, especially once everything is not stock.
Glad you are going with proper studs, screw in is just not right.
Happy your Pappy feels good enough to go fishing! (..."snagging cropy" doesn't rhyme) :)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #740 on: September 24, 2023, 01:24:08 PM »
Hope you and your Dad enjoy the day of fishing!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #741 on: September 24, 2023, 08:31:02 PM »
I got the new pulse generator for the speedometer but when I went to bolt it on today and the nut wasn't deep enough to thread on. 🤬
Ya think buying the better part would be the same depth threads but no.  Another engineer to kick in the teeth.
Summit will issue my return Monday morning.

Next part will be new rear axle studs.  The shop that redrilled the bolt pattern for some strange reason just threaded in bolts.  They work until you unbolt the wheel.  Had to put lock washers behind the bokts/studs to prevent that , but one is buggered up now and so they have to go. 

Also the saltflats received more rain Thursday and are flooded again so... world finals is canceled.  Was so looking forward to working with that team.  Next year.

On good/exiting news. 
Going fishing with my dad tomorrow.  He's feeling good enough to leave the house after 6 months.  😊🎣

I have a small collection of those VSS units...mostly 4 pulse.  If you are looking for a signal from the transmission to the speedo, might be able to help...are you looking for 2 or 4 pulse VSS?  How much clearance do you have for the sensor body?
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #742 on: September 25, 2023, 02:17:23 PM »
I appreciate that guys and Ed, I have a 16 unit.  Summit is already sending me the right pulse generator.  I just sent the other back on lunch break.

It was good to get out with pops.  He came over at 6am and I drove his jeep to a close lake he hasn't been to yet.  By 10am he was getting tired so we called it a day.  Good day though.
I have PTSD.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #743 on: October 01, 2023, 12:52:35 AM »
Speedo is fixed and recalibrated.  Now just waiting on the trans shop to get the lockup working.  It's hunting season.  He says bring it back in November. 

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:23:57 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2023, 11:40:58 PM »
Tuesday the car went back to the trans shop to get the lockout working.  Just a pressure switch needed replaced.
Tonight I took it out on the highway for a test and passed .
3rd gear - 3,000rpms / Overdrive 2,200 / lockout 2,000rpms.

Yay this part of the project Done. 😎

Already planning the next stage.  I'd like to address the steering,  cause that new corvair box sucks 🤨 but...... the steel needs to go in first,  once I get to the front and install a new steering column then I'll get to the steering box.
What do you all think about this uni-steer rack & pinion system ???
A fellow ratrodder told me, once he put r&p steering in his car drives like a dream.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 11:49:51 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2023, 05:42:14 PM »
Glad you got everything working good there.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #746 on: November 19, 2023, 11:37:38 AM »
Thank you.  It only took 2 yrs to finally get this done.  By the time I got the transmission,  had the local shop look it over and give the thumbs up to install it and then find out the clutches were bad cause someone prior had cleaned everything out,  send the whole car back for a rebuild.  Wait for him again because of hunting season (October) to get the lockup working . It's been a long process.
I weighed the pros and cons of a internet bought unit vs. finding a core and having it rebuilt. 
Bottom line is finding a shop that knows these older 80's transmissions and one that was close by was what won out.
I was a very patient man.  Lots of horror stories on internet trans.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 11:43:19 AM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #747 on: November 20, 2023, 02:27:47 PM »
Was going to post on your rack & pinion thread, i see your deleting it. Wasn't really on the R&P anyway. About the gear box. Speedway use to sell Flaming River Corvair boxes, (don't know about last few years). Heard a lot of complaints on them and a few were going to install the bigger 525 manual box(1965-91) avalible in 2 ratios,some were 6 turns lock to lock but some including 2nd gen Camaros used 4.5 lock to lock.  But back to your Corvair box, chances are it was not set up correct or cheap China.

Up into my 20s, i use to adjust that nut you did. Then it would get loose(play) again, reset then steering got tight, wouldn't easily return to center on its own. My old mech/machinist buddy John caught me doing this and told me to stop doing that. The real adjustment needed to be at the input side,(input to sector adjust). Then set preload on sector (pinion). You might try that, it may just not have the right torque set on the input from factory.

Here is a video, not a Corvair box, but an expanation. Hope this may help. Just let me know if you want me to delete my post.

http://youtu.be/VRO1ne-SkZo?si=EOQLmVVvFhKQs9yq
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:30:45 PM by sammons »

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #748 on: November 20, 2023, 11:24:28 PM »
Thanks Sammons. 
I just happened to watch that last night and was wondering about that adjustment.  Ran out to the garage a few minutes ago to see if I have that big nut.  It's on the front of my box,  no input shaft going through it but im going to give it a shot this weekend.
Now if I heard his instructions right I'll do this.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
1.) Back off the (chrome cap) small lockout and thread out the adjuster to last threads
2.) Unscrew bug locknut and torque the big bolt to 30ftlbs,  back off 1/2" turn,  tighten locknut.
3.) Tighten small adjuster till I feel some tension and back off till binding is gone.

Also I was told I can add grease through one of the chrome cap screws removed.  Is this correct  ?
There's no grease zerk.
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #749 on: November 20, 2023, 11:56:13 PM »
I sure hope i'm not sending down the rabbit hole and that a Corvair is like the other saginaw's🤔 Pretty much sounds right, let me rewatch the whole video again. But the 30lbs torque was spec for the 605 box. I think you can add grease thru any access hole. Wrongly, so many people add 80/90 wt gear oil.

Let me see if i have the procedures and torque specs for the Corvair in one of my old Motors or Chilton manuals. I dig around tomorrow. I presume due to a shorter shaft, yours will be the 1965 and newer Corvair style? I found a Corvair (Corvair Center forum), site that looked like it had the specs, but you must register to even look🙄

I just found this on the "t-bucket forum"
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 12:45:31 AM by sammons »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal