Author Topic: And the price goes up.  (Read 7874 times)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: And the price goes up.
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »
Ghost, have you considered spraying the metal top with 3 M #888 rubberized undercoating, which gives a pebbly finish that's paintable.

Then using a semi flat  or satin paint, spray it.

That metal top looks excellent to me .

mike 8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 07:24:03 AM »
I was once told by a guy who did custom tops/upholstery, generally, he came up with his prices by taking the cost of materials and then doubling it for the price of labor. So, using this generalestimate, if the material cost about $100. the labor would be about $200. I suppose a more difficult job or special custom work would be more expensive but looking at your top I think $400. would be the max I would want to pay. Depends on how deep your pockets are and how desperate you are ;D
Ghost I've seen your work, I think you could do it yourself and in the end be much more satisfied and gratified!!
I like that frame your making too, it might be time to go into a sideline........
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 03:53:04 PM »
$600 is a damn good deal. Id take it.
That formula doesn't sound right.
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 06:43:50 PM »
  Ghost28  I was so taken aback by you getting screwed on this especially when you have told us lads here that you know how to sew.So weather is rain sleet and sluch today went to our mothly firefighters get together.When i got home i went streight down stairs and started rooting about 15 minutes ago i found what i used 30 years ago on my boat and roadster top.
  The book i am talking about is the second edition by Jim Grant the title of the book is The Complete Canvasworker's Guide:::How to Outfit your Boat with Fabric It has been the best that i have found and it worked perfectly for what i wanted.Also that HD Sewing machine for 150 bucks is It will in all probablility never be worth anything less.
  I would go to your local Library and or book store and inquire about this book   vette59jdwl

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Ghost, have you considered spraying the metal top with 3 M #888 rubberized undercoating, which gives a pebbly finish that's paintable.

mike 8)
Thanks, but the pictures make it look better than it is. It would need a good padding and then some kind of top material before it would look right

I did finish the folding top mechanism and it works great. Now on to the header board, and the rear piece that the top material will snap to, then take it all apart and paint it up real nice before covering it, shich I will try to do myself with some library help. Man I hate study hall.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 07:05:53 AM »
Nice work Ghost.  Didn't you skip study hall back in the day ;D
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 08:20:25 AM »
Go man go!  You are quite the M.E.  :)  I don't know if you've seen this youtube video, but here is the link. It lays out most of the steps (does skip over some).

http://youtu.be/NcejH6cJnAs

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 08:37:20 AM by sammons »

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:45:14 AM »

mike 8)
Thanks, but the pictures make it look better than it is. It would need a good padding and then some kind of top material before it would look right

I did finish the folding top mechanism and it works great. Now on to the header board, and the rear piece that the top material will snap to, then take it all apart and paint it up real nice before covering it, shich I will try to do myself with some library help. Man I hate study hall.

Outstanding Ghost, I wish I had your talent.  Great work...

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 04:02:17 PM »
Ghost 28 You are doing a bang up job.One question where you have the stantion the first part of the hinge job is that not supose to be on the inside and the folding top fold into the car between the quarter panel and the seat and fall into a well behind the seat,or are you going to have it sit up something like a Pheaton.  vette59jdwl

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
Ghost 28 You are doing a bang up job.One question where you have the stantion the first part of the hinge job is that not supose to be on the inside and the folding top fold into the car between the quarter panel and the seat and fall into a well behind the seat,or are you going to have it sit up something like a Pheaton.  vette59jdwl
There is not enough room for the top to go into a pocket unless I hinge a pocket out of the body like a early 60s corvette. This one will sit up like it was when new to give it that old car look like a phaeton. They did make a aftermarket 32 ford body that the top folded into the trunk area. It is done except painting and canvas.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
What can't you do???  Nice work :D
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 09:32:23 PM »
Ghost28  I think you will have to cut that header wood all the way across to give yourself a square starting point from which to work then put the peak back into the header. I do not see a problem except at the back where you are going to have to steam heat some kind of wooden material so that you can tack the end of the top.Having said that when you want to put the hardtop back on you may have to make another header for the hardtop does that sound about right.One piece of material on both sides all the way back to the back tack strip and then one piece down the middle to the last bow and make the back piece with the window in it so you could sew a zipper in that so you could have it in or out.your choice  vette59jdwl

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
What can't you do???  Nice work :D
You guys are too nice, but it's because of you fellas that I keep going on with my projects.

Thank You....John

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 09:52:44 PM »
Ghost28  I think you will have to cut that header wood all the way across to give yourself a square starting point from which to work then put the peak back into the header. I do not see a problem except at the back where you are going to have to steam heat some kind of wooden material so that you can tack the end of the top.Having said that when you want to put the hardtop back on you may have to make another header for the hardtop does that sound about right.One piece of material on both sides all the way back to the back tack strip and then one piece down the middle to the last bow and make the back piece with the window in it so you could sew a zipper in that so you could have it in or out.your choice  vette59jdwl
I did cut 1  inch off the header on the long side and squared it up where it attaches to the mechanism. The curved front area is where the top canvas will tucked under and be secured. The hard top will not ever be used again, so I took the header from it, along with the curved metal tubing piece that already fits the shape and has the bolt holes drilled for bolting to the body this goes where you are talking about the steamed wood piece. I have drilled small holes every 4 inches on this tube to attach the male part of a snap that that the female part on the top material will snap. I like your ideas about the canvas layout, and the zippered back window.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 09:55:17 PM by ghost28 »

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »
Ghost28  I think madmike3434 has the most experience of anyone here with steaming and bending wood. He even has more experience with this than I do. but what i would do is do it in three pieces just like the top.I would measure it's total length with a piece of string then i would cut my center piece out about 6 inches shy of the curve then i would make both ends of that a dovetail.Then i would remeasure the whole length of the piece that i would want subtract that from the center piece and devided by two this figure should be the length of each corner piece.Being that this piece should be about 18 to 23 inches in length It would be easier to bend.I think i would make a block and bend it using steam and keep bending till you get the shape you want then dovetail the one end so it would fit in the end of the middle piece, then do that to the opposite end and bolt that into the rear deck of the car. vette59jdwl

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal