General Category > Wood & Framing Section

Sixball's Wood Works(a splinter group discussion)

(1/31) > >>

sixball:
Could anyone who can move the posts that Mad Mike and I did about wood framing to this place?
I think I am making progress on my roadster and am getting a lot of help with the wooden part. I am accumulating a lot of specs and other information for '25-'26 Chevy roadster wood parts. A new friend from the HAMB has many patterns and I hope he will bring his pictures and thoughts here too. I spent today taking a closer look at what I have than I ever have and took 35 closeup pictures mostly of joints and other connecting points. I'll put some here when I figure it out again.  I also want to ask Mike if I can put some of his tips and photos on my build thread in the HAMB and maybe move some of his stuff from another thread there?    Thanks!

(DONE-- had to do a cut/paste...the authors name is in bold)

EDNY:
madmike3434

here is something that should assist you with getting the wood door posts right.

Called a profiler, I screwed 4 of them together in order to make sure that the metal gas tank cover panel shape was going to be copied correctly when reworking the panel.

The same part could be used on your quarter panel to get the right shape top to bottom of the door wood posts . If long enough it could also be used on the wood around the seating area to duplicate it.

Home owner 9" band saw , quality magnetic light to see what you doing and a selection of blades to do hardwood.  Slow and steady , take your time.  Count fingers ???  lmao

A 2-3" drum sander roll  fitted to a multi speed drill press will allow the pattern traced and cut to be sanded to a fine finish .   If you have one of those belt sander tools/machine that lies on its side and has spindle roll holder that goes up and down, makes quick work to the wood.

Use northern white ash wood, cuts great, can be bent and doesn't split like oaks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Shape-Contour-Duplicator-Profile-Gauge-Scale-Tiling-Laminate-Tiles-Edge-US/192884100934?hash=item2ce8c9cf46:m:mScD4788uZNjUi6KeGinsQw

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

EDNY:
Quote from: madmike3434 on January 02, 2020, 08:17:48 PM

here is something that should assist you with getting the wood door posts right.

Called a profiler, I screwed 4 of them together in order to make sure that the metal gas tank cover panel shape was going to be copied correctly when reworking the panel.

The same part could be used on your quarter panel to get the right shape top to bottom of the door wood posts . If long enough it could also be used on the wood around the seating area to duplicate it.

Home owner 9" band saw , quality magnetic light to see what you doing and a selection of blades to do hardwood.  Slow and steady , take your time.  Count fingers ???  lmao

A 2-3" drum sander roll  fitted to a multi speed drill press will allow the pattern traced and cut to be sanded to a fine finish .   If you have one of those belt sander tools/machine that lies on its side and has spindle roll holder that goes up and down, makes quick work to the wood.

Use northern white ash wood, cuts great, can be bent and doesn't split like oaks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Shape-Contour-Duplicator-Profile-Gauge-Scale-Tiling-Laminate-Tiles-Edge-US/192884100934?hash=item2ce8c9cf46:m:mScD4788uZNjUi6KeGinsQw

mike lynch.............HAIRBALL

I ordered one of those contour duplicators. If I need more like you did I'll get them. That will come in handy. Probably going to be buying some new wood working tools. My plan is to use as much of the old wood a possible and repair what I can. I'll have to make some new pieces. Like you I prefer the effect the wood has on the sound the doors make and the feel of the body in general. Thanks for the tips I'll need all the help I can get. I have some friends to help. One is a custom cabinet maker with a wood CNC machine in his shop. Another is  Termites and Bowties poster who has two '26 roadsters in pieces and wood and patterns  from them and a '25. Pretty much what I don't have he does. It would be nice to have pictures and specs for one of these posted somewhere. Not even the guys making wood kits go back to '25-'26. My son pointed out that this wood has been part of this car for almost 100 years. It deserves a little help and respect.

Link to some pictures: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/finally-my-26-chevy-roadster-build.1027114/
Modify message

EDNY:
madmike3434

Followed the link over to the HAMB thread.......what the heck, you got most of the wood, just get the nails out that's holding it in and remove the piece, trunk and quarter panels .  Then get some mountain Northern Ash and fire up the heavy woodworkers pencil and start tracing.

You got quality wood to reproduce, I always assumed it was rotted away to impossible to make pattern of.

One side was great and complete, looks like an exact duplicate of the other to me.

Get that bandsaw running and bingo...........its done.

mike...............HAIRBALL

EDNY:
sixball

Thanks Mike. Not only is most of it there but a lot is very solid. Did you see the pieces that the Pontiac guy added new ends to? I think that would work with some of mine. So I think the process is to get the wood out of the sheetmetal and rebuild the entire wood frame and then put the metal back on. The worst thing that can happen is I make a mess of it and have to do it with steel.  :)
Modify message

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version