General Category > Wood & Framing Section

33 Chevy Cabriolet Wood Replacement

(1/5) > >>

TFoch:
When I bought my car it was all the body panels with some of the wood left in them.  The wood that was left was not in good shape.  I knew I'd have to replace it and thought about buying a wood kit but the price wasn't in my budget.  I decided to use a combination of sheet metal, and steel tubing.  This was my first try at building a car so there was a lot of trial and error.
I'll start with the foundation.  The sills were in bad shape so I made some templates out of plywood.  I attached them to the frame and mounted the body to see if it would work.  Everything fit well.  To be continued.

TFoch:
After the plywood sills fit well I made some new ones out of 1 1/2 X 3 inch steel tubing.  They are the same basic shape as the wood sills were as best as I can tell.  They made a good foundation for the rest of the wood replacement.

EDNY:
Tom

Sure looks like you know what you're doing.  That metal base looks very strong...the plywood mock-up looked like a laminated header beam at first...which is both strong and expensive.

What material are you going to use between the frame mounts? I'm using some old conveyor belt material.

themoose:
Tom

You did a great job.... in fact the whole frame is outstanding. Its obvious that you pay great attention to detail right down to the "33" and "Chevy" cut into  the exhaust hangers .I like it!!!!

Moose

TFoch:
Thanks guys. I'll post some more tonight.  I bought a couple feet of body webbing from The Filling Station to go between the sill and the body mount.  Old conveyer belt is a great idea though.  Wish I'd thought of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version